Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chappelle Show Suspended

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
theres an articla in tv guide this week that basically says that the show won't continue, but Charlie Murphy (the guy who told the rick james/prince story) said that comedy central will probably release the finished material that was shot this season before the end of the year.
Old 07-27-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
If Chappelle hadn't gone nuts, I wouldn't be watching Carlos Mencia right now.

Chappelle
No shit...
Old 07-28-05, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuck dave chappelle, I wish I could get stressed out about a $50M contract.
Old 07-28-05, 06:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The jackass is still stressed out about his 50 million? Hopefully in a few years he will wind up doing some crappy sitcom making next to nothing.
Old 07-28-05, 09:04 PM

Upcoming in 2008's Behind the Comedy on VH1.... It seems that David Chappelle was actually the alter ego of Tyrone Biggums, Biggums was playin Chappelle to get a good contract and be able to spend his signing bonus on some crack! He liked crack.
Old 08-03-05, 01:41 PM

Here's the tv guide interview with Charlie Murphy...
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/.../03insider.htm

TV Guide: What is the status Chappelle's Show's third season? [Titular host Dave Chappelle went AWOL in May, bringing production to a halt.] Will it ever air?

Murphy: Nah, not on television. We shot over half the season, man. Season 3 is ready. But if they're not going to show it right now... when? Are they going to show it next year?

TV Guide: What do you think Comedy Central will do with the eight episodes that have already been shot?

Murphy: I don't know. They had a big screening where they looked at the episodes and everyone was happy with what they had. They have possession of it. [My guess is] it'll go straight to DVD and they'll say, "Here's the Season 2 DVD for sale for Christmas — and it [will have] Season 3's unseen footage."

TV Guide: So is that it for Chappelle's Show?

Murphy: Chappelle's Show is over, man. Done. It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth. There's no way to get around it. It's a new day. I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody. Chappelle's Show was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick. The two seasons I acted on that show made me a star. Now I can go out and do stand-up. I'm getting movie offers. It's off the hook. Me getting to the next level or whatever's going to happen is going to come from the next things I do, but Chappelle's Show served its purpose and I'll always be grateful.
Old 08-03-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What happens to all the money they supposedly payed Dave? Does he have to give it back?
Old 08-03-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
What happens to all the money they supposedly payed Dave? Does he have to give it back?
It's not like they just gave him a check for 50 million.

Any advances he was paid, he will have to return.
Old 08-03-05, 02:53 PM
Banned

I'm glad the show ended this way rather than ending when they found his corpse. I'm sad to see the show end, but glad that I can potentially see more Chappelle material in the future.
Old 08-03-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
I'm glad the show ended this way rather than ending when they found his corpse. I'm sad to see the show end, but glad that I can potentially see more Chappelle material in the future.
Yeah, because there is a real tendency to overdose on marijuana.
Old 08-03-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chappelle
Hey, it's not all bad. At least we got Stella.

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, because there is a real tendency to overdose on marijuana.
Yeah, but if you ride a bike while high...
Old 08-03-05, 05:16 PM

Tupac of TV huh? Well I guess he'll get 4 more seasons if he dies.
Old 08-03-05, 07:42 PM

Sad to see this go. Especially since I just finished watching Season 2.
Old 08-04-05, 10:40 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

A damn shame.

Ah well, there's always CELEBRITY FIT CLUB for good laughs...
Old 08-04-05, 10:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Murphy: Nah, not on television. We shot over half the season, man. Season 3 is ready. But if they're not going to show it right now... when? Are they going to show it next year?

TV Guide: What do you think Comedy Central will do with the eight episodes that have already been shot?

Murphy: I don't know. They had a big screening where they looked at the episodes and everyone was happy with what they had. They have possession of it. [My guess is] it'll go straight to DVD and they'll say, "Here's the Season 2 DVD for sale for Christmas — and it [will have] Season 3's unseen footage."
I'm confused here. Does he mean they shot all the skits for eight eps but didn't film the audience segments? I think Charlie is a bit off his rocker here. Why would Comedy Central NOT air these? Even if they have to piece together the footage in a haphazard way, they'll make it happen. Tacking the footage onto the season 2 DVD is something that would happen to a cancelled show like Tru Calling, not something coveted by the network like Chapelle.
Old 08-04-05, 10:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm confused here. Does he mean they shot all the skits for eight eps but didn't film the audience segments?
Bingo.
Old 08-04-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They usually don't tape the audience segments until prior to airing.

Hell, they're usually don't finish editing the skits until they present them at the audience tapings.
Old 08-04-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
If he's out of ideas, I would rather the show go off the air, rather than fall into the pattern of SNL and MadTV where they do the same skit over and over. The popularity of the Rick James thing made me worry that Chapelle's show would become nothing but a compilation of catch phrases and rehashed old gags. Too many shows stay on long after they have "run their course."
Old 08-04-05, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
If he's out of ideas, I would rather the show go off the air, rather than fall into the pattern of SNL and MadTV where they do the same skit over and over. The popularity of the Rick James thing made me worry that Chapelle's show would become nothing but a compilation of catch phrases and rehashed old gags. Too many shows stay on long after they have "run their course."
That's true. I have to admit that watching this show I kept thinking that it is going to be hard to keep doing new skits especially since he is the one in all of them.
Old 08-04-05, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jepthah
Comedians are often not the most mentally and emotionally healthy people, y'all (duh).
I think thats true for the most brilliantly talented and gifted people (and no, I'm not placing Chapelle in that category ), especially those who deal in "creative mediums", like artists & musicians.

Regarding the unfinished season...there is no friggin way the studio is just gonna sit on that footage when they can make so much green from it (unless, of course, Chapelle has some types of rights to it). In fact, a couple of networks I can think of would probably try to continue the actual show without Chapelle.
Old 08-04-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/0....ap/index.html
Old 08-05-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey, at least we get new shitty programming to watch. It could be worse: even more "Mad TV."

(And I'm quite digging "Stella.")
Old 08-05-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I agree, but if he's out of ideas, he didn't have to sign the $50 million contract. Chappelle said he was going to stop after two seasons, then Comedy Central threw their checkbook at him. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him.