Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Aspect Ratios from TVB

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-25-05, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so Die Hard was on FX today and it seems now they are airing it in the 2.35:1 ratio like on the DVD. Yeah so on a widescreen HDTV you have several ways to present the image as I'm sure you all know. The setting with the pillarbars would be the exact image that is being broadcast not stretched at all(other than to your tv). So then the "stretch setting" is what looks best and most normal to me would that be the proper ratio for viewing? It was a Mitsubishi and my friend said the setting before the zoom was the right one. That setting cut off most if not all of the black bars on the top and bottom and the image looked huge and zoomed plus artifacts even bigger. You couldn't even see the FX logo but the guide took up the whole screen and it appeared a bit from both sides were cut off. It was DirectTV btw. So what would be the proper setting to view the image in the proper original aspect ratio? Strech looked best imo. Sorry if anything is unclear just ask.
Old 04-26-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pillar bars should only be on 4:3 presented material.

What I think you have 2.35:1 in 4:3 format with both letterbox and pillarbox.

Stretching (horizontal) is bad because it alters the aspect ratio of the frame. I would gladly suffer pillarbox before turning on stretching.

If you zoom (horizontal and vertical), you should get the proper ratio of 2.35:1 without pillar box. Of course you will still have letterbox, but that is the ratio that the director intended. The zoom function should be available on either sattelite or cable box, as well as the TV.

If you present Standard Definition digital cable signal (like FX), that is in 4:3 letterbox and zoom it to full screen on a quality 16x9 HDTV, you unfortunately will see artifacts. The compression used on Standard definition TV is horrible, when enlarge it is even worse.
Old 04-26-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Zoom would be the correct setting. Stretching just stretches it horizontally but does nothing vertically, hence the use of the word, "stretch."

Zooming in is designed to zoom a 4x3 movie letterboxed for 16x9. It zooms in just enough to cover up the 16x9 bars, filling your screen. Anything more than 16x9, lie 1.66:1, 2.35:1, etc. will sstill have bars. The higher the ratio, the thickerthe bars after zooming.