Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Muppets' Wizard of Oz, ABC, Friday May 20, 8:00 pm EST

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Worms
Thanks for the reminder.
Agreed, I definitely would have forgotten about this without the reminder.

Unfortunately, even with the reminder I'll probably forget.
Old 05-19-05, 02:11 PM

Looking forward to it.

Great News on the Muppet forum link about the Muppet Show being released by Seasons, YEAH! None of this BEST OF Junk.
Old 05-20-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by klandersen
Looking forward to it.

Great News on the Muppet forum link about the Muppet Show being released by Seasons, YEAH! None of this BEST OF Junk.
check out this thread

Finally! The Muppet Show - Season Sets

the henson company website is sad...every time you click a property it says that it has been sold to another company...sad

glad disney has the muppets...its a good home
Old 05-20-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

its starting
Old 05-20-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just started here in the west coast...good so far (ha, Toto the shrimp) but...

Wasn't this supposed to be in HD??
Old 05-21-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok that was just great.. as I kid I grew up watching the muppets all the time on tv and for me at least it was great to see them in some tv movie again.... Quentin Tarantino showing up in and doing a mini rant on a fight scene was good, you could tell he had to hold back a little being it was a family film..

I think Ashanti did an ok job being she was not really the focus of the film as much as just someone for the muppets to bounce stuff off. I mean she was not the one cracking the jokes and so on.. Pepe was pretty funny.. All around, for a muppet film, pretty darn good...

What's not to like about gonzo looking to get his chicken freak on? hehe
Old 05-21-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forgot all about this, but caught most of the second half after watching the Suns/Mavs game.

Not bad, but nothing Muppet is ever as good as it was with Jim. Brian does ok, but it's not quite the same.

I loved Mrs. Piggy/The Wicked Witch's snout being the last thing to go down the drain.
Old 05-21-05, 08:59 AM

This was freaking hilarious. My favorite scene was when Pepe was meddling with some knobs on Gonzo's chest, which turned out to be his nipples. Pepe's reaction was so comical.
Old 05-21-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not many comments on this so far, but I'm surprised that the few that are there are so positive. I LOVE the Muppets and have someting positive to say about even their weakest moments (most of which have been post-Henson)... but Holy Crap-on-a-Stick that was terrible. Noisy, rushed, dripping with obvious attempts to be 'modern' or 'relevant'.

I couldn't have been more disappointed. And this is coming from someone who owns Kermit's Swamp Years. I thought I read an article where Disney said they considered them to be "timeless" characters and wanted to reintroduce them to people for the long term? This certainly isn't the way to do it. Yuck.

(And, completely aside from the quality of the production itself... why wasn't this in HD?)
Old 05-22-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I wasn't too fond of it, either. I've been a Muppets fan for a long time, but I changed the channel 30 minutes into this.
Old 05-22-05, 11:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. Better than most of the recent Muppet features.
Old 05-22-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i kept hearing a rumbling noise while we were watching this and i realized it was Jim Henson rolling over and over and over in his grave. Simply awful, dreadful, tripe. even my 6 year old asked to turn it off because she was bored. terrible terrible terrible.
Old 05-23-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all: I thought it was my stupid ABC affiliate forgetting to "flip the HD switch" again (as it does far too often), only to find out nobody seems to have gotten it in HD.

Second: I'm sorta in the middle of the road on this. Pepe was the scene-stealer, no doubt. Other than that, m'eh. No one else was all that funny, Ashanti was fairly forgettable, and the story was all over the place. The ratings* do not seem to be very good: I just hope this doesn't kill future projects.

*I don't see the exact rating listed, but it finished between Dr. Phil's 5.2/10 and Shallow Hal's 2.6/5.
Old 05-23-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts
I wasn't exceptionally impressed. Pepe was awesome, it's always good to see a Kermit freak-out, but no Rowlf (other than to show he's there). Ashanti was good looking, but not right for the part.

Pepe twisting Gonzo's nipples was funny. I'll have to watch it again to get a better idea of whether or not I liked it.
Old 05-26-05, 10:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
yup gotta agree, Pepe was definately the funniest character - the little "Oz"-Frank Oz reference was blatant but funny. But as the story progressed into the final hour, it just started to fall apart. The Tarantino cameo came out of nowhere, and was a complete WTF kind of moment. It started out okay, but digressed quickly.
Old 05-26-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love both Pepe and Seymour. I loved Muppets Tonight, and this was no Muppets Tonight.