Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

When Directv carried all the local channels?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

When Directv carried all the local channels?

Old 04-01-05, 06:03 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Directv carried all the local channels?

Wouldn't it be the bomb if they could carry all the east coast and midwest local stations?

What is the point of having satellite TV when you can't get all the locals?

When did Congress pass that rule that banned Directv from carrying local channels out of market?


The only channels I can get are FOX NY, ABC LA, and ABC NY and I have to pay for those.


They blocked FOX LA on channel 389 two weeks ago


NBC and CBS won't allow the LA & NY feeds.
Old 04-01-05, 05:38 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Mayberry, NC. Really, it is
Posts: 1,787
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
Wouldn't it be the bomb if they could carry all the east coast and midwest local stations?.
Yes it would.

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
What is the point of having satellite TV when you can't get all the locals?.
Better video & audio than local cable
MUCH better service than local cable
Lower monthly bill than cable
DirecTiVos (I have 3)
More channels to choose from

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
When did Congress pass that rule that banned Directv from carrying local channels out of market?.
1999, called the Satellite Home Viewers Improvement Act. Local broadcasters wanted all OOM locals banned completely, and since all congressmen are just bitches for the NAB, they rolled over and did it with minor exceptions. Last year they passed an even tougher act to close the few loopholes in the original.

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
The only channels I can get are FOX NY, ABC LA, and ABC NY and I have to pay for those.

They blocked FOX LA on channel 389 two weeks ago

NBC and CBS won't allow the LA & NY feeds.
Sucks to be you Fortunately for me, the new law allows me to have my locals delivered by satellite AND keep my beloved NY/LA distants for ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox. I have to pay an extra $9 for all 8 channels, but I don't mind

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.