Carnivāle "New Canaan, CA" (season finale) 3/27/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivāle "New Canaan, CA" (season finale) 3/27/05

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 10:20 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
If Jonesy was the sole trade-off (a life for a life), then why did the cornfields die?

Also, wasn't it somewhat prophetic that the last image we have of Ben is behind Management's curtains?
Old 03-27-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coladar
I answered this a couple minutes ago, maybe it's getting missed in the spoiler space. It's just putting 1 and 1 together, so let me repeat it without the spoilers:

The Omega doesn't take sides, it keeps a balance between good and evil. It is neutral like we all assumed. But, the difference is not that it is the combination of good and evil to take the place of the Avatars, but just to keep the balance.

She killed Jonesy to bring Justin back. The crops died because she was saving Ben, which is why the camera zoomed in on him in managements trailer at the end.
you edited your post, because im sure i read the first part, but i didnt see the spoiler bars...

oh, i guess i just didn't make the connection between the crops and ben...
Old 03-27-05, 10:21 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
She killed Jonesy to bring Justin back. The crops died because she was saving Ben, which is why the camera zoomed in on him in managements trailer at the end.
Ahh...that would make sense.

So, Sofie's the reason why this finale provided so little closure.
Old 03-27-05, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Ahh...that would make sense.

So, Sofie's the reason why this finale provided so little closure.
bitch...
Old 03-27-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem with Sophie killing Jonesy is that she shot him. She didn't use his energy to transfer into Justin or Ben.
Old 03-27-05, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a great finale. I thought it was beautifully done, from the visual imagery and the symbolism (i.e. Ben on the cross) to the excellent pacing and writing.

Some thoughts on the episode:

Maybe Sofie's power is limited to only healing Justin after he is killed, some sort of backup so to speak.

Someone mentioned that a female cannot be an avatar, was this mentioned in an earlier episode? What if Justin has no other children, how will this cycle continue? Unless of course this is the last generation that this battle will be fought. Which seems plausible given the earlier refrences to man moving towards science and away from spirituality (or something like that).

If there will be more generations of avatars, wouldn't Sofie be the next good one? And if she is preggers with Ben Jr., wouldn't that child be the evil one? Which is interesting in itself, because there has now been a 'mixing' of the good/evil blood lines, which would possibly end the cycle. Ahhhh...so many questions...

Lastly, is there anything we as fans can do to try and persuade HBO to pick this up for a third season? I highly doubt there is anything that can be done based on the past efforts of other fans trying the same thing. But I guess if there is something I could do, I might as well try.

Which is kind of funny, b/c although I am a passionate fan of many shows, I have never once considered activley doing something to help save a show. Just goes to show how much I like this one. I am even considering making the 2 seasons of this show the very first Season DVDs I have ever bought. I think it would be great to rewatch this from the beginning now that I have seen it once.

Last edited by dave-o; 03-27-05 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 10:28 PM

I don't think that Sophie was healing Ben.... If shooting Jonesy was all she needed to do to resurrect Justin, then why did she walk over to Justin's body before using the crops to heal Ben?

Besides, when Ben resurrected Ruthie, she came to life as soon as he killed Lodz. But Justin didn't get up as soon as Sophie killed Jonesy.

Last edited by Ted The Bug; 03-27-05 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Burnt Alive
The only problem with Sophie killing Jonesy is that she shot him. She didn't use his energy to transfer into Justin or Ben.
didnt ben choke Lodz? there was no energy trasfer there right. but the fact that it wasn't instantaneous like with Ruthie makes me think...
Old 03-27-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dave-o
Someone mentioned that a female cannot be an avatar, was this mentioned in an earlier episode? What if Justin has no other children, how will this cycle continue? Unless of course this is the last generation that this battle will be fought. Which seems plausible given the earlier refrences to man moving towards science and away from spirituality (or something like that).
Per the creator of the show, Dan Knauf:

Date: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:05 pm
Subject: Re: Prophet, Prince, Usher

Lots of folks got pieces of it right, but you're the first one to put them all together. Correct on all counts, including my riddle.

To clarify the rules established so far -

Two Avatars per generation -
eldest males, one light, one dark;
One Prophet (Dominant/eldest male) per House;
One or more Princes (Ascendant males), depending on the number of generations alive at any time;
*Edit* In regards to saving the show, I was at a chat session with Adrienne Barbeau a few weeks back. She said the best thing to do was write letters to HBO via standard mail, that they apparently count a lot more than e-mails. Other than that and buying the first season on DVD, there's not much to do.
Old 03-27-05, 10:34 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
What if the crops dying was just a side-effect of Sophie trying to force the boon from Justin's body, so she could be a true avatar? That could be why she laid her hands on him.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind, after reading the post above mine.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 03-27-05 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
What if the crops dying was just a side-effect of Sophie trying to force the boon from Justin's body, so she could be a true avatar? That could be why she laid her hands on him.
Maybe she had to remove the blade for him to live, it was still in there, with no handle to pull it out...
Old 03-27-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,859 Likes on 1,959 Posts
Is Sofie the Usher?

After Ben killed Justin, I was sort of expecting to see her pull her dress off and have the tree tattoo.

I'm not really sure what was happening in the cornfield.

Since she is the daughter of an Avatar/Prophet (Justin), it could make her a "Prince". But Knauf had said that Avatars are only males. The powers she displayed - the dying cornfield - are the same powers that Ben displayed, so in that regard, it almost looks she's inherited his old place. But the black eyes are distinctly Justin.

Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense for her to resurrect Justin IF she's the "Child of Light"'s Prince. Maybe she was taking his place as the Usher in the cornfield. The idea that the Usher of Destruction is the final "Creature of Darkness" who brings about the end times would jibe with Lodz' message that she was The Omega. ("Omega" being the end.)

Jonesy... dead or not? She could've used Stroud's lifeforce to resurrect Jonesy. Maybe she killed him to bring him back to life as her servant.

HBO... Third season. Do it. Hell, just give Daniel Knauf the four more seasons he needs. Just let us breathe easy.
Old 03-27-05, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
didnt ben choke Lodz? there was no energy trasfer there right. but the fact that it wasn't instantaneous like with Ruthie makes me think...
Well, Ben choking Lodz involved his hands, so maybe that's integral to an energy transfer since he apparently has to touch those he's "working" on.
Old 03-27-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Is Sofie the Usher?
I pondered posting the rest of the post from Dan Knauf, but decided it wasn't a big deal for the discussion we're having right now. Shows what I know.

A Prince must kill a Prophet with his own hands in order to gain his full measure of power.
The Usher of Destruction: An Avataric Prophet who has been foretold as a harbinger of the End Times. There is only ONE Usher. He's been foretold in a thousand books by a thousand names. The Usher must be an Avatar, but not all Avatars are the Usher.
Old 03-27-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
Yep, but Ben killed Lodz he did it by placing his hands on him. He does the same thing to heal, but in reverse.
Old 03-27-05, 10:43 PM

Per the creator of the show, Dan Knauf:

Date: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:05 pm
Subject: Re: Prophet, Prince, Usher

Lots of folks got pieces of it right, but you're the first one to put them all together. Correct on all counts, including my riddle.

To clarify the rules established so far -

Two Avatars per generation -
eldest males, one light, one dark;
One Prophet (Dominant/eldest male) per House;
One or more Princes (Ascendant males), depending on the number of generations alive at any time; .

hey, she was a dirty carnie, maybe she's a hermaphrodyte as well. not only a mix of good and bad, but m/f too...
Old 03-27-05, 10:44 PM

So Sophie can't be the usher since she can't be an Avatar. Ok, there goes that. So what are we left with?
Old 03-27-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
HBO... Third season. Do it. Hell, just give Daniel Knauf the four more seasons he needs. Just let us breathe easy.
Old 03-27-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BJacks
So Sophie can't be the usher since she can't be an Avatar. Ok, there goes that. So what are we left with?
Maybe, just maybe, Justin's powers were so strong that he was able to inhabit or ascend into his own child's body as he was dying in the cornfield.
Old 03-27-05, 10:48 PM

On a semi-related cool note, I just saw a Honda commercial featuring a voiceover by Clancy Brown!
Old 03-27-05, 10:52 PM

Hey........ what if it wasn't Sophie at the end there.... but Lodz controlling her body?
Old 03-27-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ted The Bug
Hey........ what if it wasn't Sophie at the end there.... but Lodz controlling her body?
Wouldn't her eyes have been white instead of black?
Old 03-27-05, 10:56 PM

Anyone have a take on "this is your house" ? I know it could just mean that she is the heir to Justin, but you think there might have been a deeper meaning?
ANd if her mom was trying to kill her before, why would she be there to empower her like that. she always seemed to be warning her, not helping her on the path...
Old 03-27-05, 10:56 PM

Oh yea. duh.
Old 03-27-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was scouring over a log of a chat Knauf did recently. To answer the assumption a few in this thread, and I myself held, that son of evil avatar is good and vice versa... At least I think this quote answers that, it's not exactly crystal clear:

Question: Sue_C: Moral default? So if Avatar "A" is cofl then the next Avatar up to bat will be cofd by default? Are the Avatara able to make the moral choice or forced willy nilly to play what role is given them?

DKnauf: Sue, the assignment of base nature is totally random. Just a cosmic throw of the dice. But it IS operative from birth. And, like I said, bse nature can be subverted or overidden by free will.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.