Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I now know what I was missing (DVR/Digital Cable)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved and decided one of the upgrades for my new place would be digital cable with a built-in DVR. Obviously, if you have these things, you know all the good stuff already. If you don't, let me just point out:

* The cable box itself does PiP!
* A million channels!
* The DVR will hold 50 hours!
* The DVR has two tuners! (Can record two things at once or record one thing and watch another.)
* The remote has a punch-through for my receiver volume and powers on and off my tv!

Because of a nice promotion, I'm actually paying around $20 less per month than I had been for non-digital cable and internet access -- until January, at which point it goes back to around the same amount.

And if I ever long for the rapid-fire channel changing that just isn't possible on a box doing two-way communication* -- not to mention recording everything I watch to a buffer -- I can always hop on one of my non-cable-boxed TVs.

*Although the lag on this box is better than I was expecting based on a few experiences with relatives' cable boxes. Also, I had heard pretty bad things about non-Tivo flavored DVRs, but I really couldn't expect it to be easier to use.
Old 03-27-05, 04:54 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my dvr since September and a couple months ago it started locking up everytime I would start watching a recording while it was recording something else. It took me awhile, but I finally watched everything on my dvr and took it in to exchange it last week. They had a new dvr that was basically the exact same as the old one except the box was a little smaller and the menu's are faster. After having it a couple days, I chose a recording to watch while it was recording and it locked up. I guess I'll be exchanging again this week and hope I have better luck.

Besides that problem I love the dvr. I seriously don't understand how all the tivo lovers get by with only 1 tuner.
Old 03-27-05, 05:14 PM

I got the same thing dvr with digital cable. Awesome!! The only downside is that I have gone through several dvr boxtops. They do get very hot as there is no way to power them down short of unplugging the box. When ever the box messes up I just disconnect it and take it down to the cable office for a replacement. Despite all of this....there is no way I could live without it now!!

Take care all!!
Old 03-27-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

our dishDVR holds 100hrs
Old 03-27-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you won't miss the rapid fire channel change after a while. In fact, you'll probably stop watching live TV alltogether.
Old 03-27-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I hate the numbers telling you, ooooh 100 hours! Yeah, on the lowest setting. I watch most stuff in HD when possible. Everything else gets Tivo'd. Call me spoiled, but I have tried the lower setttings and they are not viewable to me. Anything less than "highest quality" looks piss poor to me. So, needless to say, I fit far less on my Tivo than the 80 Hours it promotes.

Damnit! I want my HD-Tivo! What's the hold up people?
Old 03-27-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you know how to program in the 30 second commercial skip into your remote?
Old 03-27-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
how?
Old 03-27-05, 11:14 PM

yea i might get 10 hours on my comcast dvr. its a 120gig hard drive but i mainly tivo HD. DVR is a great thing. I use it a lot with sports. rewinding on dunks or during the football season it came in handy espically when they didnt replay a down I wanted to see again.
Old 03-27-05, 11:21 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Damnit! I want my HD-Tivo! What's the hold up people?
Tivo can't find anyone to partner with to build the thing because it is increasingly clear that Tivo is a sinking ship.
Old 03-27-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by stevevt
I just moved and decided one of the upgrades for my new place would be digital cable with a built-in DVR. Obviously, if you have these things, you know all the good stuff already. If you don't, let me just point out:

* The cable box itself does PiP!
* A million channels!
* The DVR will hold 50 hours!
* The DVR has two tuners! (Can record two things at once or record one thing and watch another.)
* The remote has a punch-through for my receiver volume and powers on and off my tv!

Because of a nice promotion, I'm actually paying around $20 less per month than I had been for non-digital cable and internet access -- until January, at which point it goes back to around the same amount.

And if I ever long for the rapid-fire channel changing that just isn't possible on a box doing two-way communication* -- not to mention recording everything I watch to a buffer -- I can always hop on one of my non-cable-boxed TVs.

*Although the lag on this box is better than I was expecting based on a few experiences with relatives' cable boxes. Also, I had heard pretty bad things about non-Tivo flavored DVRs, but I really couldn't expect it to be easier to use.
I did the same thing when we moved into the house we built earlier this month. I love it.
Old 03-28-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Do you know how to program in the 30 second commercial skip into your remote?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/explorer_8000/
Old 03-28-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JM
Tivo can't find anyone to partner with to build the thing because it is increasingly clear that Tivo is a sinking ship.
TiVo and Comcast just struck a deal. I wouldn't sink that ship yet.
Old 03-28-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by RoQuEr
If you are already a member there, would you mind just posting the relevant info? I'm sure there are some here who would like to know this but are not really interested in joining another news group just to find out.
Old 03-28-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The following is for digital cable boxes such as the Motorola 6412 dual tuner box as typically provided by Comcast.

Here is the exact procedure to program a 30 second skip to the remote.

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173 (for 30 second Skip).
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip function to.

You can map the 30 second function to anything. I used the "FAV" button since I never used it for anything.
Old 03-28-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
If you are already a member there, would you mind just posting the relevant info? I'm sure there are some here who would like to know this but are not really interested in joining another news group just to find out.

I second the motion.
Old 03-28-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I second the motion.
Do you have me on ignore? I posted the details right above you.
Old 03-28-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Do you have me on ignore? I posted the details right above you.
I don't have a Motorola DVR. I have a SA8000HD.
Old 03-28-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh... gotcha.
Sorry about that.

Edit: Check avs forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Look in the HDTV Recorders and Players forum. You don't need to register to look around.

Last edited by Phil L.; 03-28-05 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 'EFC' or 'Advanced code' for 30-second skip is: 049 (only for special remotes, not stock remote)
- Click the CBL button.
- Press and hold SETUP until it blinks twice
- Enter 994 (2 blinks)
- Press Setup
- Enter 049
- Press the button to which I want to associate the skip to (for
example the video source button that is currently unused)
After this I get 2 blinks.

If you want the JP1 files for RadioShack 1994 and One-for-all 8811 remotes, then join the group and look in the files section
Old 03-28-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Cool. Thanks.
Old 03-28-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I seriously don't understand how all the tivo lovers get by with only 1 tuner.
All DirecTiVo units have had two tuners for years. It's only the standalones that have one.
Old 03-28-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nny
Besides that problem I love the dvr. I seriously don't understand how all the tivo lovers get by with only 1 tuner.
Very easily, you get 2. I got by with 1 ReplayTV for a long time. You could still playback one show while recording another which is better than you can do with a VCR.

I had 2 Replays before I got the DVR from Comcast. The only reason I got the DVR was to record HD. I still use the Replays for everything else, mainly because those of us in Washington are stuck with the Microsoft guide with no 30 second skip.
Old 03-28-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Roto
Very easily, you get 2. I got by with 1 ReplayTV for a long time. You could still playback one show while recording another which is better than you can do with a VCR.

I had 2 Replays before I got the DVR from Comcast. The only reason I got the DVR was to record HD.

I can say the same exact thing.
Old 03-28-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I hate the numbers telling you, ooooh 100 hours!
My modded HD-Tivo holds 70 HD hours or 470 SD hours. It's so nice!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.