Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Angel Marathon Thread (companion to the Buffy marathon)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Angel Marathon Thread (companion to the Buffy marathon)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with you on Doyle, too. I thought the character just wandered through the dozen-or-so episodes he was in and never really contributed anything.
Old 03-28-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wesley is the best part of Angel.
Old 03-28-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I liked Doyle, and so far I miss his presence. Wesley is amusing and all but too Xander-like at this point in his comic relief. I swear some of his lines could be transplanted right over to Xander. I'm sure this will change but that's how I feel at this point.
Old 03-28-05, 05:13 PM
Cool New Member

I thought Doyle was okay, but he never really had the time to grow into anything special, regardless of the reasons why. Curiously, I find the end of "Hero" to be extremely affecting despite the fact that I didn't particularly love his character.

As far as "I Will Remember You" is concerned, I detest this one, not because it's about Buffy/Angel, but because it's cloying, manipulative, contrived, and seems to exist solely to add to Angel's martyr complex. Thanks, but, no thanks.

And I will agree that the addition of Wesley is when the show begins to get good. But again, remember, season 1? Not that big a fan.
Old 03-28-05, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=saberdance42]
As far as "I Will Remember You" is concerned, I detest this one, not because it's about Buffy/Angel, but because it's cloying, manipulative, contrived, and seems to exist solely to add to Angel's martyr complex. Thanks, but, no thanks.
QUOTE]

I did like "I Will Remember You". I did like their romance or whatever, but I'm not faithful to it. I totally agree with the martyr thing though, as did my sister after watching the set I got her as a gift.

I liked Doyle & was completely surprised by his death on the show. I think it's horrible that Glenn Quinn Od'd. It still makes me sad anytime I catch an old ep of Roseanne.

I was pleasantly surprised with the way they brought Wesley into the show. I didn't really like him on Buffy, but he really got to shine on Angel.

Last edited by Emma311; 03-28-05 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-28-05, 08:30 PM

I always thought "The Powers that Be" were incredibly goofy and the most embarassing part of the series. Sessa's right, they would be more at home in Xena.
Old 03-28-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BudSeriously
I always thought "The Powers that Be" were incredibly goofy and the most embarassing part of the series. Sessa's right, they would be more at home in Xena.

Those aren't the powers that be though. They are the Oracles, just messengers.
Old 03-28-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Additional note on Glenn Quinn, he was supposedly bring David Boreanez down with him and that more then anything else hastened his departure.
Old 03-28-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's a rogue demon? I always loved that line.

Right from when it happened it was put out that Glenn Quinn was fired for his personal problems. Somewhere there's an interview with Charisma where she talks about it. And him and Boreanaz were very tight at the time, hanging out and taking vacations together. RIP
Old 03-28-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
Add me to the list of people who have heard that Glenn Quinn was fired for substance abuse problems, and any stories about "always intending to write Doyle out" are after-the-fact cover-ups.
The way I heard it, it's something Whedon always wanted to do... and it was made a lot easier when Quinn started showing up drugged up on set all the time.
Old 03-29-05, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Got a few in the past couple of nights.

"I Will Remember You" - I suppose this was a popular ep b/c the Angel/Buffy thing was probably a fan favorite but it for me, it was one of the most boring things about Buffy & this ep reminds me why. Buffy just brings Angel down for me I want Angel to move past the whole Buffy thing. His series has given him a lot of personality & then Buffy comes along & its boring old Angel again. Story wise, this ep more than any other shows how noble Angel is, probably more so then most men. This is the first time we see the "Oracles", which were really cheezy & cheap looking. Reminded me of something out of Xena or something.
I became an avid Buffy in S2 of that series and I've always been kind of partial to the Buffy/Angel relationship. Moreso than her other relationships, anyway. So for me, this episode was a treat. It served two purposes as I see it: #1 it was the definitive moment where Angel let Buffy go (which allows her to move on, if not him as well), and #2 it showed how noble Angel can be. He sacrifices and sacrifices and nary gets any reward for it. He sticks to the mission, not because he thinks he'll be rewarded or to lessen his guilt, but because the job has to be done and why not him? These issues get explored deeper in the future, but this episode is pretty much where it starts.

Man, everytime I see Buffy breakdown and cry, "A minute? No. No, it's not enough time!" I get choked up. I think SMG really nailed that scene.

I can see how someone wouldn't get much out of this episode if they weren't into Buffy/Angel. However, it was necessary to affirm that they weren't going to get back together and allow both characters to go off in different directions on their respective series. Angel had to let Buffy go and Buffy had to think he had nothing left to offer her. Mission accomplished.

"Hero" - What the hell?! Sure didn't see that coming. That was rather awkward. Glenn Quinn had to have gotten another gig or really piss somebody off. Literally two eps ago was the very first show of the series so far where we learn anything about him & now they kill him without any build up whatsoever. Everything seemed like he was the series sidekick to Angel so at least I give the show credit for doing soemthing out of left field. However, I thought this ep was pretty boring. I never really liked Doyle, the Doyle/Cord thing seemed rushed & forced & I thout the bad guys were really lame.
The official explanation is that Joss Whedon always intended to off Doyle in this fashion. I don't really buy it. Rumors were rampant regarding Quinn's drug use and set problems. His later death only seemed to confirm people's suspicions. So considering he had to be let go earlier than intended, I think they did a good job. The ep itself is okay, but I really dig the ending. Doyle grows a pair and faces his demons (literally!). Everyone should go out a hero.

I lived in denial for months after this episode, thinking Doyle was going to come back. Everytime I heard, "Is that it? Am I done?" I'd get really anxious. Poor Doyle.

"Parting Gifts" - Holy Crap!! It's wiener-Brit. Another movie I totally didn't see coming. I totally forgot about him & wasn't even sure it was Wesley until Angel said his name. I thought the "rogue" demon hunter bit was a little funny & got a chuckle when Angel slapped the crossbow out of Wesley's hands. Cord got Doyle's powers which I knew that would happen when they kissed, so now Cord can actually serve a legitimate puprose for the first time in both series.
A transition ep. Wesley had to be (re)introduced and Cordy's new role had to be established. Back in '99/'00, I was pro-Doyle and anti-Wesley. Wesley was annoying on Buffy and I couldn't see what he could possibly add to Angel. Thankfully, my opinion of him change greatly.

"Somnambulist" - Well they sure didn't waste time adding Wesley to the credits & cast. At least now I know his real name & that he isn't goingi anywhere soon. Kind of an ehhhhh ep. One of those that could have been so much better like SO many Buffy eps where the writers hit on good ideas, but never follow up. I really like the idea of Angel having an evil prodigy from his past. It could have made for a cool on-going nemesis for him, but the dude that played him was bland so I'm glad he is gone already. Kate learns about Angel. Ehh. Had to happen eventually.
I like this ep. Really, anything that touches on Angel's past I pretty much just eat up. And Kate discovered Angel's true nature, which I thought was neat.

You seem to be hot and cold on this series so far, Sessa. Remember how the second season of Buffy had a lot more to offer than the first season? Just keep that in mind when watching this show. It all gets better, trust me.

L8r
Old 03-29-05, 06:27 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Bcolon
Additional note on Glenn Quinn, he was supposedly bring David Boreanez down with him and that more then anything else hastened his departure.
Really? Haven't heard that one before. Thaaaaaat's interesting. I knew the two of them were tight, but this is the first rumor I heard about any problems that Boreanaz was having. Huh.
Old 03-29-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
Agreed.
Spoiler:
He's the (spoiler removed) of the Buffyverse.

Who put's a B5 spoiler in an Angel thread?!?!?!?!

Thankfully, it's a vague one, but knowing what I know about Wes, it tells me a lot. sigh.

Last edited by chess; 03-30-05 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-29-05, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by chess

Thankfully, it's a vague one, but knowing what I know about Wes, it tells me a lot. sigh.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, the comparisons are vague, at the very best. As far as the two characters go (minor Angel spoilers follow, no B5 ones):
Spoiler:
The other poster was most likely referring to the fact that Londo does a good bit of change as a character, which you're already seeing a bit of in your current episodes. As far as the details of each character arc go, there's really not a whole lot of similarities
Old 03-29-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xVladx
Well, if it makes you feel any better, the comparisons are vague, at the very best. As far as the two characters go (minor Angel spoilers follow, no B5 ones):
Spoiler:
The other poster was most likely referring to the fact that Londo does a good bit of change as a character, which you're already seeing a bit of in your current episodes. As far as the details of each character arc go, there's really not a whole lot of similarities
Well, that's a bit of a relief. It was just a shocker to open up that spoiler and find that in there. I was naturally drawing comparisons between the characters, but thankfully it's vague.
Old 03-29-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bcolon
I dont remember ever reading this. Interesting.

Regarding Wesley, I remember reading his character was going to be replacing Doyle and I wasn't happy about it but boy did they flesh him out and make him one of the most interesting characters in the Buffy/Angel Universe. When watching Buffy now, it's amazing to see how much they change and what their destiny turns out to be.

Last edited by riley_dude; 03-29-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 374 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by chess

Oops--sorry about that. I deleted my post and if you delete or edit yours the spoiler won't be there. I did just mean "in general" though, so don't draw too much off what I said.
Old 03-29-05, 04:07 PM
Cool New Member

I am currently house sitting for one of the stars of this show

well... ex stars...
Old 03-29-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by a35mmlife
I am currently house sitting for one of the stars of this show

well... ex stars...

If it's for Charisma, I'll pay top dollar for...

Wait a minute. My wife sometimes reads these board. Better contact me privately.
Old 03-29-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, since you brought it up, can you tell us who and can we get an autographed pic?
Old 03-29-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Alright, spill the beans - he, or she?

And as long as we're playing this game, I know one of the stuntmen who worked on Angel during seasons 2-4.

Last edited by slop101; 03-29-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
And as long as we're playing this game, I know one of the stuntmen on show during seasons 2-4.

I had an English class in college with Kim Fields (Tootie from The Facts of Life). She was very nice, but too smart. She knew the answers to every question and made those of us who were doing just enough to pass, look bad. I also took lots of computer classes with her step brother.
Old 03-29-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Kim Fields was on Angel?
Old 03-29-05, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

I dont mind telling you all... its Vincent Kartheiser... we met when I was the assistant to the director of on a film called Another Day In Paradise a few years back and weve been best of buds since... He's starring in a play in NY so I get to scoop his cat's shit.

Yes, even star's cats shit...
Old 03-29-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by a35mmlife
I dont mind telling you all... its Vincent Kartheiser... we met when I was the assistant to the director of on a film called Another Day In Paradise a few years back and weve been best of buds since... He's starring in a play in NY so I get to scoop his cat's shit.

Yes, even star's cats shit...

DO NOT DISCUSS HIS ROLE ON ANGEL IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!!

(just a little warning)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.