Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Angel Marathon Thread (companion to the Buffy marathon)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Angel Marathon Thread (companion to the Buffy marathon)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Loafer
Oh, and my favourite Buffyverse girl: Amber Benson. The only one in both shows who ever seemed to have a good friggin' meal now and again.
Is that Tara? You just lost your cool points for being a Spaced fan Tara had a good meal more than every "now & again", her gut hanging out in the S5 finale. Tara by far gets the least attractive Buffy-verse character vote for me. And Charisma is definitely not that skinny, nor is Dushksu who've I've met in person. In fact I don't think any of the Buffy girls are except for Willow.

I got one ep in last night.

"That Old Gang of Mine" - This was another pretty bad ep, S3 is off to a slow start for me. The only thing I really liked in this one was Wes laying down the law on Gunn at the end. Yet another gratuitous character singing scene. I didin't like it at all, I thought it made no sense, this girl who was trapped & mentally tortured for years & barely has the nerve to live her room, all of a sudden gets up & sings in front of a room of bizarre demons. I thought Gunn's former gang going to the point of holding humans hostage was too over the top. Not the new guy from Florida, but the guy that fought along side Gunn & Wes saved his life. And I really, REALLY hope this is the last we see of leather pants Angel. Unless your a member of a British rock band, leather pants are not cool.

Last edited by Sessa17; 06-01-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-01-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"That Vision Thing" - Much better than the last 2. Back to the foward progressing story although W&H are not the same w/out Lindsey. There was a personal involvement with Lindsey that makes for a better villain & with Lilah as the heavy right now, it just doesn't have that same threatening feel to it, plus she is actually scared of Angel whereas Lindsey had no problem going toe to toe w/ him even knowing what a disadvantage he was at. I guess I was wrong about the visions killing Cord to fade her out & have Fred take her role. Glad about that. I really like Fred, another character there seems to be a lot of hate for that I am missing the boat on. Clearly the guy Angel rescued from the Hell dimension is going to be some kind of big bad, maybe a replacement for the Lindsey role of sorts. I have no clue where they are going w/ the Darla story.
Old 06-01-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate for Fred? The very thought disgusts me.

What did you think of Skip?

Also, if the psychic guy (with the fez covering his exposed brain) looked a bit familiar, look no further than Kumar from the movie "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle"...when I saw that film it took almost the entire length of it to realize that was the same guy from this ANGEL episode.
Old 06-02-05, 01:37 AM

Nothing complimentary for TOGOM? I loved the stand off in that episode, and I thought it contrasted Angel's and Gunn's characters beautifully. You also start to see more of non-goofy Wes. To each his own.

L8r
Old 06-02-05, 06:49 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Is that Tara? You just lost your cool points for being a Spaced fan Tara had a good meal more than every "now & again", her gut hanging out in the S5 finale.
Knew that'd raise a bit of stink.

I was talking about Amber Benson more than Tara. And while I don't think she had anything but natural, healthy curvature in Buffy, she's lost a few pounds since, anyway. I don't know, it's not conventional beauty, I'll give you that, I just think there's something incredibly cute about her.

As for Dushku? Ew, no. Sorry, the idea repulses me. She looks almost exactly like my sister. Even the thought creeps me out.

Actually, I'd forgotten someone. And this is really bloody freaky and I souldn't really be admitting this in a public forum, but:

(Sessa, you can highlight after you've seen Offspring)
Spoiler:
Pregnant vamp-face Darla. I know, weird but, Julie Benz never looked more sexy to me than in that scene in the arcade.

And I think That Old Gang of Mine is one of Angel's weakest all-time episodes.
Old 06-02-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Loafer
And I think That Old Gang of Mine is one of Angel's weakest all-time episodes.
You are not alone as they rag on it in some of that seasons comms I think.
Old 06-02-05, 07:52 AM
Zee

I really like Fred, another character there seems to be a lot of hate for that I am missing the boat on.
Who hates Fred? Not anyone I know of, that's for sure.
Old 06-02-05, 08:12 AM
Cool New Member

Agreed.

Though, for some reason, I was sure that Sessa would hate her in the same way he did Willow.

EDIT - Crap, I hope he wasn't around just then. I wrote a paragraph with some MAJOR spoilers in it that didn't spoilerize properly.

Okay, let's try that again . . .

Spoiler:
"Handsome man saved me from the monsters."

I get shivers crawl up my spine whenever I hear that line now. It adds a whole new level of ominous dread to the Pylea arc for me. Saved her from the monsters, yeah, but sticking with him got her soul obliterated and torn up into non-existance. It's the most brutal thing Whedon has ever done. Brr...

Last edited by Loafer; 06-02-05 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Fred is really cute too
dare I assume that you like Fred as a character then? based on some things you've said previously it seems as if you might. after you finish this show and go back and look at all the spoilers, you'll see that there has been some speculation as to whether or not you would hate Fred or not, I guess as many people saw her as being comparable to Willow.......shy, timid, mousy, geeky etc.... i.e someone you said you would walk all over and not bitchy enough for you to like, thus most people predicted you would hate Fred. anyway, I'm just curious as many people seem to think Fred is pointless and boring, but I've always had a soft spot for her and really liked her addition to the show. Kudos to Amy Acker, as I thought her acting in the Pylea episodes was amazing.
Old 06-02-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really like Fred, another character there seems to be a lot of hate for that I am missing the boat on.
ok, so nm, you answered my questions further down......
but yes, a lot of people do hate her, and I just can't see it.
Old 06-02-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Emma311]This is kinda similar to my current situation. I just moved down to my older sister's for the summer. The 2 dvd players in her house aren't hooked up correctly & no one seems to care & I'm horrible with that stuff. I was kind of upset that I wouldn't be able to rewatch along with Sessa. Then I found out that her computer has a dvd drive. I'm happier now.[QUOTE]

Ha, yeah, first thing I hooked up was the entertainment system.

And as far as the Fred hate, I don't understand it. I didn't care one way or the other about her at first, but by the mid-point of season 3, I was in love with the character. Still, I'm glad Sessa's digging on her. She is slightly similar to Willow and he hated her in a way that could only be described as violent.

-Doc
Old 06-02-05, 10:47 AM

I could see that...that look she gave to Xander when he was adamant about killing Angel (in Becoming part 1) made me hate her at that moment. I mean, as much as i love Angelus, Xander was absolutely right at the time.
Old 06-02-05, 03:13 PM

I pretty much liked Fred from the moment she came on the show. I read that alot of people didn't like her at first, but then after a while, alot warmed up to her. I think that since some people didn't like the Pylea arc, they just instantly didn't like Fred since she was associated w/ those episodes and was also a constant reminder of them as well.
Old 06-02-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Makes sense.
Old 06-02-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
What did you think of Skip?
Yeah, that was a nice exchange of dialogue b/w them.

Also, if the psychic guy (with the fez covering his exposed brain) looked a bit familiar, look no further than Kumar from the movie "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle"...when I saw that film it took almost the entire length of it to realize that was the same guy from this ANGEL episode.
No he didn't look familiar, I've never seen that movie.

A lot of the Buffy crowd at my store did not like Fred.

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
dare I assume that you like Fred as a character then? based on some things you've said previously it seems as if you might. after you finish this show and go back and look at all the spoilers, you'll see that there has been some speculation as to whether or not you would hate Fred or not, I guess as many people saw her as being comparable to Willow.......shy, timid, mousy, geeky etc.... i.e someone you said you would walk all over and not bitchy enough for you to like, thus most people predicted you would hate Fred.
Fred as a character is OK, I've only seen a few eps w/ her in it so it is still too early but I just think the actress is adorable. I can see why you guys would think I wouldn't like her, but the Willow hate was different. I think Hannigan is gross & looks like a boy & my main problem with her was she was sooooooooo whiny, the way she talked drove me nuts. Every word out of her mouth was a whine. Fred is cute & quirky, she doesn't whine at all, she is just adjusting to a new life & world again. And the Gunn episode already showed that Fred isn't nearly as timid & a pushover as Willow was. I think she is a great addition & the show needed another character in the gang, I always knew they would get one & I was worried it would be that dreaded character that I wouldn't like.
Old 06-02-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
That Old Gang of Mine
Never even love for this episode. I liked it a lot. It pushed Gunn to the edge and showed us where he stands.

That Vision Thing
Loved Skip in this episode. One of the best minor actors on the show. The only thing I didn't like was the thought of letting a demon out of hell and nothing bad happening because of it. I wanted a price to be paid.
Old 06-02-05, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
That Old Gang of Mine
Never even love for this episode. I liked it a lot. It pushed Gunn to the edge and showed us where he stands.

That Vision Thing
Loved Skip in this episode. One of the best minor actors on the show. The only thing I didn't like was the thought of letting a demon out of hell and nothing bad happening because of it. I wanted a price to be paid.
Spoiler:
But in a way, a price was paid- the guilt Angel and Cordelia felt because of the horrible abilities Billy had, and how he used them on other men.

Sessa, I completely understand where you're coming from in regards to Willow. Every time I see Hannigan's face somewhere, I cringe- for the sole reason that she represents all things Buffy, which I can't stand anymore. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I can't think of a better way of putting it.
Old 06-02-05, 11:16 PM

Alyson Hannigan looks like a boy? If you say so . . .

But I have to admit, Amy Acker is a cutie . . .

L8r
Old 06-02-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Zee
Hi, I'm Draven. Nice to meet you. Now you know one.

I always hated Fred. Annoying, weird and disgustingly skinny. They always put her in these short little skirts that showed off her stick legs. Ugh, getting repulsed just thinking about it.

Amy Acker, however, I like. I can tell she's a good actress, I just cannot STAND her character.

Spoiler:
I also hated the Gunn/Wesley waffling. She should have been with Wesley from the start. It made no sense for her to be with Gunn and the actors seemed uncomfortable playing off one another.

Illyria, however, now we're talking. I would have loved to see another season with her in the mix. Not only was it a huge change for a beloved character, but she had just started getting very interesting on her own.
Old 06-02-05, 11:39 PM

Spoiler:
Everything I've read on the subject suggested that for season six, Acker would have played both characters almost equally somehow (perhaps in the same way she could switch back and forth like in 'The Girl In Question'.)
Old 06-02-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Zee
I always liked her but my partner thought she was annoying at first. Wouldn't you a bit annoying if you had been away from anything you knew for, what was it, 5 years? I think that was the point that she was a bit weird and disoriented and rambled on alot. If you see Amy Acker on any of the DVD Extras, out of character, she is totally different, without even the same tone of voice. I thought Amy Acker did a great job and as anyone has seen her in subsequent seasons knows she has a lot of versatility as an actress. I think Fred and Wesley were my most favorite after watching the entire series.
Old 06-03-05, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

Every time I see Hannigan's face somewhere, I cringe- for the sole reason that she represents all things Buffy, which I can't stand anymore. .
You can't stand that she represents the great show, Buffy, or you can't stand Buffy (the show)?

If it's the latter, BLASPHEMY!

PS: I don't understand how anyone who likes Fred could hate Willow and vice versa.

Willow looks like a boy? What kind of boys have you been hanging around with Sessa?

Yeah, looks like a boy.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 06-03-05 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-03-05, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Slayer2005
You can't stand that she represents the great show, Buffy, or you can't stand Buffy (the show)?

If it's the latter, BLASPHEMY!

The latter. Big time. The fact that ANGEL will be forever shackled to Buffy (in terms of the spin-off escaping the shadow of the originating series) makes me sick.

I never would have watched it if I didn't have to catch up on Angel/Cordelia/Wesley, as well as who Darla was, etc.

I could go on and on about why I think ANGEL is infinitely superior, but I respect others' opinions, whether I agree with them or not, and I'm not going to try and hammer it in someone's face in the hopes of changing their view. To each their own.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 06-03-05 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-03-05, 08:33 AM

Spoiler:
I also hated the Gunn/Wesley waffling. She should have been with Wesley from the start. It made no sense for her to be with Gunn and the actors seemed uncomfortable playing off one another.
A lot of people have said that
Spoiler:
the Gunn/Fred ship made no sense, though I liked it a lot, especially that running joke in "Deep Down", where Fred starts using street slang. Heheh. As for the actors, Amy Acker has said that both she & JAR enjoyed having their characters hook up, and that they kept trying to convince the writers to keep them together.

I'll also take Gunn/Fred over the suckness that was Wesley/Fred in "Smile Time" and AHitW.

As for Fred vs. Willow, I loved early Willow, and despised her from S3-on. But I always kind of liked Fred, though I can see what bugged some people about her. Amy Acker herself was a terrific actress (definitely better than AH, IMO), though a lot of people seemed to hate on her because they didn't like the character.

Last edited by areacode212; 06-03-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-03-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember when Fred first came on the scene and people not liking her, but that contingent quickly dried up once she finally got her footing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.