Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol: 12 little singers went out on stage... (3/15)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who is going to be voted off tomorrow?
Anthony "Trach Boy" Federov
3.64%
Anwar "Teacher! Teacher!" Robinson
0%
Constantine "Crying for the Soul of" Maroulis
1.82%
Jessica "Treasure of the" Sierra
0%
Lindsey "Norah Jones Rocks!" Cardinale
52.73%
Mikalah "Jail Bait" Gordon
25.45%
Nadia "Not Tina" Turner
0%
Nikko "Safe At First" Smith
10.91%
Scott "Battle of Shaker Heights" Savol
1.82%
Vonzell "Ms Teeth" Solomon
3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol: 12 little singers went out on stage... (3/15)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Nikko should go...He may have been able to play to the crowd, but I thought he sounded like hell.
Old 03-15-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I caught 8 of the 12 songs tonight, though I missed Bo. What song did he sing?

I really liked how the men sounded (the ones I heard, yes, even Federov) and didn't care for the female's voices... except for Nadia. I did miss a couple of them though.

Mikalah is some good eye candy, but I just don't like her voice. She'll stay around for another two or three weeks because she is attractive, but she won't last. Constantine really suprised me tonight. He's still a goofball / rocker pretender, but damn, he had a good voice tonight. And Anwar, I still really like him, hope he makes it to the final three or four.

As for Nikko, I really hope he survives this week and I think he will, but I don't see him lasting two or three weeks.
Old 03-15-05, 09:29 PM

Received 907 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
I caught 8 of the 12 songs tonight, though I missed Bo. What song did he sing?
"Spinning Wheel" - Blood, Sweat and Tears

... and he carried the mic with him everywhere and wandered to the stage area bhind the judges and played up to the crowd big time!
Old 03-15-05, 09:33 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Once again Bo was in another class than the rest of the singers.
Old 03-15-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I never much cared for her before, but Vonzell really knocked me out tonight. That song was perfect for her! She sounded like a 60's singer.

What is with all these kids acting like they had to scramble to find a song to sing this week? Do they not have record collections or any musical knowledge before American Idol? Is it really hard for them to think of songs from the 60's? I guess I just don't get wanting to work in the music business without having any real passion for music. I would have thought these kids would have been listening to music forever and at least have some interest in the great pop songs of yesteryear.
I agree on both points. Vonzell picked a fantastic song and one that speaks to the second point. The 1960's has got to be the most definitive decade of popular music ever. There are literally thousands of recognizable classics.
Old 03-15-05, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About half the singers didn't even stay with the theme, unless it was songs originally done in the 60's but redone in the 70's.

It wasn't Eddie Floyd's version of Knock on Wood, it was Aimee Stewart's c. 1979
It wasn't the Everly Brothers version of When Will I Be Loved, it was Linda Ronstadt's c.1976
It wasn't Neil Sedaka's 60's version of Breaking Up is Hard to Do, it was Neil Sedaka's slowed down remake c.1975.
It wan't the Miracle's version of "Shop Around", it was the Captain & Tenille's version c. 1976.

Next, "You Made Me So Very Happy" is NOT a Motown song. It's a Blood, Sweat and Tears song just like Bo's "Spinning Wheel."

It was good to see a couple of people try Burt Bacharach songs. They are not easy to sing and showed a little bit of stretch, unlike those that fell back on the same old Motown (REAL Motown) stuff.

I think one of the guys could have blown the judges away if they came out and pumped out a good version of a 60's Tom Jones song like "Delilah."

Overall, I was only impressed with Anwar, Bo and Nadia.
Old 03-15-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brak55
I think one of the guys could have blown the judges away if they came out and pumped out a good version of a 60's Tom Jones song like "Delilah."
I told my husband that I thought Bo sounded like Tom Jones tonight.

I'm still amazed at how great Vonzell was, and I'm even more amazed that the judges weren't that impressed. Maybe it was one of those performances that sounded better on TV? I thought she oozed class and really impressed me. If I were voting, I'd call in a bunch of votes for her.
Old 03-15-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gettinbranded

Still smarting that your guy didn't win? If they're really that good, they'll get an album out there sooner or later...

Fantasia who ?
Old 03-15-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mikalah, Lindsay or Nikko will go.

They all sucked.

Originally Posted by Struz
Fantasia who ?
Last years winner that just went platinum.

Might be Bo's year. Lets see if he's a performer AND singer over the longterm. He certainly seems like he's got the goods.

Lindsey is going, sucky performance of an already sucky song
Old 03-15-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cant believe more people havent said how awful Federov was tonight. He started out OK but became awful...what where those notes?
Old 03-15-05, 10:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I question how smart it was to sing a Jackson 5 song considering what's going on in the news right now.

BTW, Mario will be doing the "Top 10 List" on Letterman tonight.
Old 03-15-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BTW, Mario is on Letterman tonight. Talk about milking those 15 minutes...
Old 03-15-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I heard the genre, I immediately thought that Bo was going to sing "House of the Rising Sun". He did really well tonight, but stop mentioning your stupid band already. And stop acting like your too fucking cool for the room.

Best
Bo Bice
Constantine Maroulis
Nadia Turner

Good
Anthony Federov - Surprised he took such a beating.
Vonzell Solomon

Feh
Anwar Robinson
Jessica Sierra
Scott Savol

Bad
Carrie Underwood - Listen to the song you're singing. If it's about heartache and loneliness, don't sing with a big smile on your face.
Lindsey Cardinale
Mikalah Gordon
Nikko Smith - WTF was that? He likes the names in the news. First Ray Charles, now MJ. What's next, Molly Hatchet?
Old 03-16-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
When I heard the genre, I immediately thought that Bo was going to sing "House of the Rising Sun". He did really well tonight, but stop mentioning your stupid band already. And stop acting like your too fucking cool for the room.

Best
Bo Bice
Constantine Maroulis

Good
Anthony Federov - Surprised he took such a beating.
Vonzell Solomon
Nadia Turner

Feh
Anwar Robinson
Jessica Sierra
Scott Savol

Bad
Carrie Underwood - Listen to the song you're singing. If it's about heartache and loneliness, don't sing with a big smile on your face.
Lindsey Cardinale
Mikalah Gordon
Nikko Smith - WTF was that? He likes the names in the news. First Ray Charles, now MJ. What's next, Molly Hatchet?
I also thought Anthony did better than what the judges said and they were unneccessarily harsh on him. Anyway, I agree with the above list except perhaps Nadia who I thought was a bit too calculated i.e. measured arm raise here, look over there. It seemed a bit fake but she sang well enough.
For me, I think Lindsey did the worst. I am not sure if it was the song or her delivery but it was very staccato and broken ... I felt she wanted to mouth some more words or had forgotten some words. I think if there was a bottom three it would be Lindsey, Scott and Mikalah with Lindsey getting the boot.
Old 03-16-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I absolutely hate the new epilepsy-inducing stage show that was going on behind and around the contestants. Ugh.

The judges were pretty bi-polar tonight as well.

Very Good:

Nadia - she knows how to work the camera and throws herself into the performance. Vocally, she's still not all that great (probably be a disaster in a recording studio).

Good:

Anthony - I have no idea what was up with Randy, but this guy can carry a tune, very reminiscent of Lou Gramm of Foreigner in spots, but with more low end than Lou. Now the song choice wasn't that good, though.

Bo - I thought it was an average performance, it didn't click with me, felt like he phoned it in. Plus the whole "dragging around the entire mic stand" looks stupid to me.

Okay:

Anwar - a bit of a snoozer tonight, he had spots where you could tell he hated his run, and then he'd go for a louder longer run to make up for it, and never got into the groove of the song.

Carrie - I thought she started out shrill and thin, and the song never got better as she went for the big long note at the end that just didn't sound right to me.

Jessica - sounded good on that stage acoustically, but boring performance.

Constantine - I think he might be able to sustain some of the longer notes if he'd quit smoking or something. It's sort of embarrassing to watch him cut the notes short because he has no vocal reserves on tap.

Not too good:

Vonzell - her vocals are so non-distinctive, and her phrasing is amateurish to boot.

Scott - tempo too slow, and he just creeps me out with this makeover of his.

Ugh:

Nikko - to me, he sounded like 3 cats fighting.

Mikalah - sounding like "The Nanny" singing is not the way to a recording contract.

Lindsey - hopelessly outgunned in this competition.
Old 03-16-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been supporting and voting for Constantine and Bo from the beginning, but I was REALLY pleasantly surprised by how well Constantine did tonight -- his voice sounded really good.

I agreed with Simon that Nikko sounded terrible (though he definitely had to prepare FAST). Mikalah was awful. Lindsey unfortunately doesn't seem to pick the right songs for that great voice.

I totally disagree with the judges about Scott Savol. Looked like he was "having fun"?!?!?! No matter what he's sung these past weeks, he always looks SOOOOOOO serious and straining to be a bit animated, or to remember to smile (which I think he forgot tonight).

Love Anwar's voice and that song, but I didn't like his interpretation of it.

GO ROCKERS!
Old 03-16-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anwar has a problem with adding too many runs to his songs, which could make all of his performances sound similiar, and not serve the song in question.
Old 03-16-05, 07:23 AM

I voted for Mikalah to be voted off. To me she is very annoying. Congrats to her for making it this far, but I think her time is over. If for some unforseen reason that she doesn't get voted off, then I will go with Lindsey 'cause she sucked it up also.
Old 03-16-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bo's performance was terrific.

For the first time in any season of AI, I actually liked the AI singer's version better than the original.

Nadia, Constantine, and Scott were very good.

The rest ranged from mediocre to suckage.
Old 03-16-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts
I saw the last few performances: Vonzell was better than the judges gave her credit for. Scott was decent - he just looks so damn creepy. Carrie was kind of blah (but I hate country so I would think a good rendition is kind of blah). I think Nikko has a weak voice and picked a song that showed how limited he is vocally - totally agreed w/ Simon on that one.

Speaking of the change in venue - this show wasn't near as irritating to watch in HD as it has been in previous weeks. It looked quite good.
Old 03-16-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brak55
About half the singers didn't even stay with the theme, unless it was songs originally done in the 60's but redone in the 70's.

It wasn't Eddie Floyd's version of Knock on Wood, it was Aimee Stewart's c. 1979
It wasn't the Everly Brothers version of When Will I Be Loved, it was Linda Ronstadt's c.1976
It wasn't Neil Sedaka's 60's version of Breaking Up is Hard to Do, it was Neil Sedaka's slowed down remake c.1975.
It wan't the Miracle's version of "Shop Around", it was the Captain & Tenille's version c. 1976.

Next, "You Made Me So Very Happy" is NOT a Motown song. It's a Blood, Sweat and Tears song just like Bo's "Spinning Wheel."

It was good to see a couple of people try Burt Bacharach songs. They are not easy to sing and showed a little bit of stretch, unlike those that fell back on the same old Motown (REAL Motown) stuff.

Overall, I was only impressed with Anwar, Bo and Nadia.
I agree with this whole post except "You Made Me So Very Happy" was indeed a Motown song originally performed by Brenda Holloway in 1967. Blood Sweat and Tears version came two years later and is on the same album as Bo Bice's "Spinning Wheel" cover.

Very bizarre to me that out of the whole decade, there were two BS&T's songs.
Old 03-16-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
...this show wasn't near as irritating to watch in HD as it has been in previous weeks. It looked quite good.
This is the BRIGHTEST!!, SHINIEST!! HD show on TV right now -- it's the Oscars, the Emmys and Cirque du Soleil all rolled into one!
Old 03-16-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
in my opinion.. Anthony Federov was the WORST lastnight with Mikalah Gordon coming in a close 2nd.. Although Nikko sucked it up again, and shouldnt probably shouldnt be here anyways, so I would be fine if he is gone.

Bo, Anwar, and Nadia stood out as the top 3 of the night..

the rest... meh...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.