TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Scrubs Question

Old 03-06-05, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrubs Question

I have never seen Scrubs, but notice that lots of people here love this show. It supposedly mixes comedy with drama very well. I was wondering if the show is comparable to the criminally short-lived Freaks and Geeks, which also combined these elements to perfection IMO. If so, which is better in your opinion. I realize F&G only lasted 18 epsiodes to however many seasons Scrubs is currently on, but still. I might have to get Scrubs when it comes out on DVD if it compares favorably enough. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-06-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Freaks and geeks was the best show of its kind ever. That being said F&G is better, but Scrubs is more of a sitcom so they aren't very comparable.
Old 03-06-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Don't be misled, there is a little drama mixed in sometimes. Relationships end. Occasionally a patient dies. But it's almost exclusively laughs. A lot of them per half-hour. It's great, but nothing like F&G, really.
Old 03-06-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can't compare Scrubs and Freaks and Geeks. They are entirely different types of shows all together. It would be like saying, "I love The Godfather and have been thinking of checking out The Gods Must Be Crazy. How does The Gods Must Be Crazy compare to The Godfather?"

If the problem is whether to put down the money for a show you are unsure you'll like, check out a few episodes of the current season. Since it's a sitcom, it won't really spoil anything for you, and you'll know after a couple episodes whether you like it enough to shell out the bucks for the dvd set.
Old 03-06-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, and by the way, when people say Scrubs mixes comedy and drama, they mean it differently than a show like freaks and Geeks. What they mean is that Scrubs usually has a serious thread running throughout the laughs and sometimes that thread becomes very pronounced within the comedy. You'll have to watch the show to see what I mean.
Old 03-16-05, 04:10 PM

I'd have to say that scrubs last season is different than scurbs this season. The reasoning why I think is the different underlying stories that each episode follows is different this season. Either way, I enjoyed last years season a tad bit more than this years.

Whats great about scrubs is that it always ends with music while listening to J.D. talk to himself of some life lesson he just learned. I think they make fun of this in an episode last season too...
Old 03-16-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boot
Oh, and by the way, when people say Scrubs mixes comedy and drama, they mean it differently than a show like freaks and Geeks. What they mean is that Scrubs usually has a serious thread running throughout the laughs and sometimes that thread becomes very pronounced within the comedy. You'll have to watch the show to see what I mean.

A good analogy would be MASH. The first half of its run it was a comedy laced with drama, while about midway through it became a drama laced with comedy.

Scrubs is a comedy laced with drama.
F&G is a drama laced with comedy.
Old 03-16-05, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Scrubs is a comedy laced with drama.
F&G is a drama laced with comedy.
Exactly. So the Godfather and the God must be crazy comparison is flawed. A better one would be along the line of Rushmore/Tenenbaums/About a Boy/Good Morning Vietnam (Funny drama's a la F&G) vs. > (Dramatic Comedies a la Scrubs).