Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody watch "It Takes A Thief" on Discovery?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-05-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a show where two real former-burglers go to a home and simulate a burglary (while not doing too much breaking of stuff). Then, after the homeowners watch it all happen on tape, the show does some security upgrades for the house. It's not something to go out of your way to watch every week, but it's worth checking out at least once.

It's shocking how much a burgler can do in a short amount of time. John -- the guy who does the "burglary" -- just ransacks the place, looking in every nook and cranny, and he's got all this loot in 5-10 minutes. One of the scariest things that I never would have thought about is personal info being readily available (checkbook, passport, etc) and thieves actually looking for that stuff. Then you're REALLY screwed.

I never realized how much can be taken/destroyed in such a short amount of time. So in that way the show is an eye-opener, at least for me. I will be a first-time homeowner in a few months, and I've already gotten some good tips from this show.

Last edited by Professor Frink; 03-05-05 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-05-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In saw this show last week and told my wife about it - she ants to see it.

But I can't believe someone would allow their house to be ransacked like that.

The most eye-opening part of it to me was how even after the homeowners got their security upgrades, the host and burglar went back to house and walked right in through the front door because the guy went to run and errand and didn't even lock the door (especially when the burglar got in the first time through and unlocked back door). Stupid stupid stupid. Then the homeowner bragged about now having a locking file cabinet near his desk, but failed to realize he left the key to it right on top of his desk. Stupid stupid stupid.

Thanks for bringing this up - I need to make sure to set my PVR to catch this show.
Old 03-05-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched that episode too ---I liked it.
Old 03-05-05, 09:53 PM

I just wonder how many thieves watch the show.......
Old 03-06-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From now on I plan to keep all my of my papers in a locked file cabinet. Nowadays it's too easy to steal someone's identity with just a bank statement. And another tip that I learned from this show -- don't keep any spare keys hanging on a hook in the kitchen. The thief grabs them and comes back later for your car(s). It seems so obvious, but I never even thought about it before.

Oh, and one of John's "signatures", which I believe is left over from his former burglar life -- even though some electronics get left behind, he still likes to steal all of the remotes in the house. That's just cold.
Old 03-07-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been watching and enjoying it quite a bit. I was initially surprised at how real John makes it. He doesn't break things for fun, but he makes no effort to be careful either and will break whatever he has to if it's in the way. I was also surpised as how easily he finds stuff. He has great instinct on where to look for hidden stuff and what to swipe. In one episode there was a wall with a bunch of artwork on it and grabbed the good stuff and left the cheap stuff. He also takes stuff I wouldn't even dream of like medication and
Spoiler:
the snake
All in under 10 minutes!

I'm really loving this show, but it also seems like it will get old very quickly. But it's fun for now. And I love seeing him get back in the house after the security upgrade.
Old 03-07-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I've been watching and enjoying it quite a bit. I was initially surprised at how real John makes it. He doesn't break things for fun, but he makes no effort to be careful either and will break whatever he has to if it's in the way.
I was surprised by this too- I wonder if anyone has ever gotten angry? Then again, they did agree to have their home burgled.
Old 03-07-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the show. they seem to only break stuff that can be easily replaced, everything else they probably handle a little more delicately than if they would normally.
Old 03-08-05, 09:01 AM

This show is awesome... Made me go through the house and re-check all the windows that we don't "ever" open and make sure everything is locked...

I won't go to bed at night unless I know for sure I have double checked the front and back door anymore...

Next house will have an alarm...