Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My TV on DVD wish (ST:TNG related)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TV on DVD wish (ST:TNG related)

I loved ST:TNG, but not enough to commit $1000 for all the season sets.

The Picard Collection is a welcome release that I'll probably pick up, but what I'd love to see is the two-part season cliffhangers like "Best of Both Worlds" and "All Good Things" released individually on DVD so that I could have a good sample in my collection to go with First Contact and Nemesis (which I liked a lot, thanks). In many ways, I remember these TV episodes being better than the feature films...but that might just be nostalgia speaking.

The cliffhangers surely serve the same purpose in the season sets that they did when they were televised, namely to keep you hooked and to make you buy the next set, but I think they would sell really well on their own to more casual fans. If they included the proper extras, even hardcore Trekkies might be tempted to pick them up.

Any thoughts on this? I know the guys who "own" Trek these days aren't the brightest, but could they be convinced?
Old 03-03-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's only a matter of time before Paramount starts to repackage episodes like that in collector's sets. They did it on VHS all the time, and infact, I bought some cliffhanger sets on VHS back in the day. My favorite box set (which I have kept, even though I don't watch the tapes anymore) was the Q Continuum set. Picard's collection is sure to just be the beginning.
Old 03-03-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"All Good Things" wasn't originally a cliffhanger, was it?
Old 03-03-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
"All Good Things" wasn't originally a cliffhanger, was it?
No. My mistake. It was the series finale.

Was Chain of Command a cliffhanger?
Old 03-03-05, 05:12 PM
Banned

Yes, Chain of Command was. Here were some others

Descent

Time's Arrow

Best of Both Worlds

Gambit

Redemption

Unification
Old 03-03-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can bet that Paramount will start repackaging these episodes into themed sets (and, as mentioned, they've already started).

It's only a matter of time before they realize that all of the Star Trek whores out there (and I count myself among them) will even rebuy episodes they already own if they have new extras/commentaries/etc.

With Trek off the air for a few years, you can bet they'll turn their attention toward milking the existing DVDs. Which could be a good thing (if done right). Honestly, I'd rather have them work at improving TNG DVDs than producing crap like Voyager, Enterprise, or half-assed theatrical films.
Old 03-03-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Personally, I think it is best and easiest to just pick up the sets used, or something.
Old 03-03-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can pick them up used around here for less than $50 a season at most palces that sell used dvds. I actually bought S2 a few days ago for 35.00 at a mom and pop used store. it had stickers on the case, but for 35, I can live with that.

Nick
Old 03-03-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
Yes, Chain of Command was.
No, Chain of Command was a two parter that took place in mid-season. It wasn't a season ending cliffhanger.
Old 03-03-05, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dalvin

Gambit

Unification
Neither were these two. The cliffhangers went:

Best of Both worlds (end of season 3, beginning season 4)
Redemption (end of season 4, beginning of season 5)
Time's Arrow (end of season 5, beginning of season 6)
Descent (end of season 6, beginning of season 7)
Old 03-04-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The question was "Was Chain of Command a cliffhanger?". While it wasn't a season-ending cliffhanger (neither were "Gambit" and "Unification"), I would certainly argue the first parts to all of them can be classified as cliffhangers.
Old 03-04-05, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Along a similar vein I'd love it if they put all the Worf/Klingon conflict eps into a collection.
Old 03-04-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really itching to see Best of Both Worlds. I just put Season 3 disc 7 and Season 4 disc 1 in my queue.

Those are the right disks correct? Is disc 7 just extras, or does it have a couple of eps?
Old 03-04-05, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
The question was "Was Chain of Command a cliffhanger?". While it wasn't a season-ending cliffhanger (neither were "Gambit" and "Unification"), I would certainly argue the first parts to all of them can be classified as cliffhangers.
Originally Posted by chess
The cliffhangers surely serve the same purpose in the season sets that they did when they were televised, namely to keep you hooked and to make you buy the next set, but I think they would sell really well on their own to more casual fans.
Given that definition of cliffhangers from the OP, those can not be considered cliffhangers. Rather they are two parters that occur midseason. Dalvin's list is almost all of the two parters, omitting only Birthright Pt 1 and 2 and the two hour episodes All Good things and Encounter at Farpoint which originally did not air as a two parter but have aired as a two parters in syndication.

Chess: Those are the correct discs. With the exception of season 1 of DS9, all of the last discs in the Star Trek Season Sets have episodes on them.
Old 03-04-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
I'm really itching to see Best of Both Worlds. I just put Season 3 disc 7 and Season 4 disc 1 in my queue.

Those are the right disks correct? Is disc 7 just extras, or does it have a couple of eps?
I think you have the right ones, the seventh discs are usually 2 episodes and the extras.
Old 03-04-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
I think you have the right ones, the seventh discs are usually 2 episodes and the extras.
Gracias amigo...and MHepburn too.