Will you watch the Contender?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will you watch the Contender?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was a well thought out show. I liked how I felt like I knew alot about these two fighters before they stepped into the ring for what turned out to be a really good fight. I like the Survivor-style challenges and the fact that the fighters are split up according to their geographical background helps set up some confrontational behavior. All in all a great premiere - I'm hooked already.
Old 03-08-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was much better than I expected. Even though I hate Stallone with a passion, I'll keep watching.

I wish they wouldn't edit the fights down (although I do understand why they do). I'd really like to see the full fight.
Old 03-08-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
I wish they wouldn't edit the fights down (although I do understand why they do). I'd really like to see the full fight.
Exactly, I am hoping this changes in the future, although I am not going to get my hopes up.
Old 03-08-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched this tonight and was really surprised by how much I liked it and by how well Gomez did.

Peter bringing his 3 year old daughter to watch, taking her into the ring for the decision and then crying in front of her in the shower was messed up though.

This show gets a Season Pass here too. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Old 03-08-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nazz
I watched this tonight and was really surprised by how much I liked it and by how well Gomez did.

Peter bringing his 3 year old daughter to watch, taking her into the ring for the decision and then crying in front of her in the shower was messed up though.

This show gets a Season Pass here too. I'm looking forward to more episodes.
Alfonso is like a typical latino fighter that has a ton of skill but not much size....he reminds of a poor-man's De La Hoya. He'll never knock you out but he'll outbox you.

Manfredo is strictly a power-puncher and since he wasn't in his best shape, he ran out of gas pretty quickly. He's the type of guy that needs to knock out his opponent pretty quickly.
Old 03-09-05, 02:45 AM
Banned

The Contender even with its flaws is ten times better than the current season of the Apprentice.

At least you have some people on the show that are interesting like Ahmad to watch and you can find several people to root for.

The guy with the glasses that looks like Mike Singletary seems cool.

Ahmad looks like a dick but if he stays he will be fun to watch how the other fighters interact and toy with him.
Old 03-09-05, 07:37 AM

I really enjoyed the premier. Did anyone else have trouble rooting for Alfonso or Peter? I liked both of them; Alfonso for the underdog story, Peter because he was undefeated and had his daughter watching for the first time. I did find it, well- Wrong, that his daughter was there at all, but was feeling for the guy.

Why does everyone think these guys aren't in shape? From all the introduction and backgrounds on each boxer it seemed like most of them have been boxing for some time, most with professional records. Wouldn't someone have to be in boxing shape if they've been boxing professionally? Especially if you're ranked 3rd in the world (as Peter was/is).

The ratings scared me. I really hope NBC doesn't pull the same shit they did with Last Comic Standing: String us along for the whole season, then pull the show before the season finale.

I have my season pass set. I'm hooked!
Old 03-09-05, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I didn't catch this (guess I'm not alone, judging from the above), but did it seem like an "expensive" show? What's the cause of the high cost?
I would think part of the high cost, aside from Sly and Sugar Ray's salary, is moving everyone's family nearby. It seemed like Peter's family was in a house. If each boxer's family is in a house in LA, I can't imagine the pricetag...
Old 03-09-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was wondering why people considered Peter to be out of shape too. He is actively fighting as a pro with a 21-0 (21-1 now) record and currently ranked number three.

He should not only be in shape but used to going twice as long as this bout. Gomez looked to me to be the one not in shape and he came out on top.
I think much of Peter's problem was in his head.
Old 03-09-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kramdenfan
I would think part of the high cost, aside from Sly and Sugar Ray's salary, is moving everyone's family nearby. It seemed like Peter's family was in a house. If each boxer's family is in a house in LA, I can't imagine the pricetag...
That and the fact that this had to be a very very long shoot. Its not like survivor where its 40 days.

If they really go and have each one of them fight, loser goes home, that means that there is a total of 15 fights. Now, its not like they can have these guys fight every few days or something. They'd have to wait till the cuts healed at least.

Which brings up an interesting question. Why can't the East team (assuming they win the challenge) just pick Gomez to fight again? Guess a lot of it depends on the timing of everything, but i have a feeling this took a good 6 months to shoot.
Old 03-09-05, 08:40 AM

Just an update, I watched it last night. I agree with Shelley, much better than this year's Apprentice. I was into the whole thing and can't wait for the next episode tomorrow night.
Old 03-09-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kramdenfan
Why does everyone think these guys aren't in shape? From all the introduction and backgrounds on each boxer it seemed like most of them have been boxing for some time, most with professional records. Wouldn't someone have to be in boxing shape if they've been boxing professionally? Especially if you're ranked 3rd in the world (as Peter was/is).
I'm the one that says they were out of shape. Don't get me wrong, they weren't fat blobs, but the fact was that they were still 5-10 lbs overweight and it looked like Manfredo didn't have any endurance.

It's impossible to keep at top shape at all times. When you don't have a fight to prepare for, you're not gonna be in top shape cuz you're body can't take that. Unless you're a heavyweight, you need to make a weight limit. In order to do so, you need to cut as much bodyfat as possible.

These guys had no time to prepare for their fights. I could be wrong, but it seemed like once the challenge was over that the fight took place within 48 hours. That's not enough time to prepare for a fight. Also, you usually will have time to study tape on your opponent which these guys didn't.
Old 03-09-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Real good show, Burnett has shown once again why he is the Reality king.

I think Manfredo had two things working against him. the big one was his family being there, why would he want his daughter there?

And having the fight after a hard fought challenge seems a bit unfair.

The only really off part of the show was that staged press conference, what was that all about? All NBC news people?

And who is watching the fight all NBC staffers?
Old 03-09-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
And who is watching the fight all NBC staffers?
I saw some celebrities in the crowd. The only that I can remember off the top of my head is Chuck Norris.
Old 03-09-05, 11:27 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I saw some celebrities in the crowd. The only that I can remember off the top of my head is Chuck Norris.
James Caan was there as well.
Old 03-09-05, 12:26 PM

Definitely has the potential to be, IMHO, the best reality series so far.
Old 03-09-05, 09:24 PM

My wife told me she heard this show was cancelled. Any truth to that?
Old 03-10-05, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
to those who say the boxers are out of shape realize that every fighter knew they were going on a reality show that would give one of them a millio dollars and a title fight. they also knew that they would be fighting on this show. if anyone of these boxers sat on his ass for the weeks leading up to filming, and did no training, then they are dumb and don't care about the future of their career.
Old 03-10-05, 02:50 AM
Banned

Don't forget that pulsating score by Hanz Zimmer the guy who did Crimson Tide, Pirates of the Caribbean etc.
Old 03-12-05, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was skeptical about this show, but the first episode nearly brought tears to my eyes. I look forward to future episodes.
Old 03-12-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this show is pretty good so far

I like the slow-mo walks into the ring from the dressing room before/after the fight. You really feel for the loser

Anybody else amazed at how good Stallone looks for 58??. He could probably beat most of those fighters in the ring

Even Sugar Ray and George Forman looked pretty good
Old 03-13-05, 03:49 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I hated the editing of the fight!

The Ultimate fighter shows all fights totally uncut

and cutting to the crowd drove me crazy ! every now and then fine, but not every second!

And the over dramatic music was stupid too

Overall The Ultimate Fighter is better
Old 03-13-05, 03:18 PM
Banned

I think Gomez does not have to fight again and he does not have to fight again until 7 bouts have taken place.

That is what I think Sly & Sugar said.
Old 03-14-05, 07:14 AM

Yes- he's a definite for the final 8.