Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Senator vows to make cable tv as bland as network tv..

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Senator vows to make cable tv as bland as network tv..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
If a mod does change the thread title, might I suggest: Senator wants to make cable tv as bland as network tv... for his own pleasure!
Old 03-02-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It should probably be changed to "A Senator" so all of the Republicans here don't get their panties twisted into a bunch. (And, yes, the Democrats have Lieberman, too, so you can't lay everything at the feet of one party.)
True enough, but if the Republicans here are trying to pretend theirs *isn't* the party most strongly affiliated with combatting supposed indecency and immorality in the "culture wars," they're lying--and can eat my shorts.

This kind of "Hey, all parties have their fruitcakes" approach to this issue is a lie. If there *is* a culture war, then--by and large--the Republicans are the ones pandering to those on the side of repression.

That said, yes, such a partisan title is best left to the Politics Subforum.

Last edited by adamblast; 03-02-05 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
True enough, but if the Republicans here are trying to pretend theirs *isn't* the party most strongly affiliated with combatting "indecency" in the culture wars, they're lying--and can eat my shorts.

This kind of "hey, all parties have their fruitcakes" approach to this issue is a lie. If there *is* a culture war, then--by and large--the Republicans are the ones pandering to those on the side of repression.

I say again, when 48/48 Senate Dems and 184/205 House Dems vote to drastically increase indecency fines, please don't claim your party has the high ground on the issue. I am not a Republican. Both parties suck.
Old 03-02-05, 11:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I disagree that blood and tits somehow make things less "bland." There's a lot of good network shows out there that don't rely on the crutch of "mature" content.

That said, the FCC should keep their dirty hands away from cable tv!
Old 03-02-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I say again, when 48/48 Senate Dems and 184/205 House Dems vote to drastically increase indecency fines, please don't claim your party has the high ground on the issue. I am not a Republican. Both parties suck.
Successful Democratic politicians know what side their bread is buttered on--and often, it's the Republican side. That doesn't mean there's no difference on the issue.

Last edited by adamblast; 03-02-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-02-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Successful Democratic politicians know what side their bread is buttered on--and often, it's the Republican side. That doesn't mean there's no difference on the issue.
Just ask Al Gore and Tipper.

No wait, let's talk about the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy on the issue.
Old 03-02-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess we have different ideas of what 'success' means. Who gives a rat's ass how successful a politician is if he compromises his principles, which is what you are implying that Democrats are doing. Their principles mean jackshit if they aren't voting them.
Old 03-02-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I say change the thread title to Big Government Authoritarian vows to make cable tv as bland as network tv.

This is scary! and it's not just cable tv, he wants the same standards for satellite radio too and that would probably put Sirius and XM out of business. DVDs, Books and the Internet will likely be the next targets.

The next wave of Satellite TV will be to bring in uncensored British, Canadian and Australian broadcasts and Congress won't be able to do anything about that!
Old 03-02-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red Dog

Agreed. Me too. Agreed.

Branding this a Republican-specific agenda is not only wrong, but it marginalizes the fact that our entire government is trying to further violate the Constitution on both sides of the aisle with this issue.

das
Old 03-02-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread title changed by request of original poster.
Old 03-02-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
Welcome back to the 1950's!
Old 03-02-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is on both sides now that this "new morality" seems to be the concern of everyone's constituants. Saddly, most issues like this are "jump on the bandwagon" reactions from these lawmakers. While ultra-conservatives started it, everyone else it hopping on their coattails to stay in office another term.

Oddly, I would think this would enrage Stevens' voters since I'm willing to bet that 95% of most TVs in his state rely on cable and satellite to get ANY sort of broadcasting.
Old 03-02-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Looks like he's picked up a little more support...

Click for full article

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, the head of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, supported the idea of indecency guidelines for cable and satellite and said he would consult with Stevens on possible legislation.

"It's not fair to subject over-the-air broadcasters to one set of rules and subject cable and satellite to no rules," Barton told reporters after a separate appearance before the broadcasters group.
Old 03-02-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like he's picked up a little more support...

Click for full article
But I guess it's fair to us the average run of the mill TV watchers to be subject to some random sense of morality and what our so called representatives deem to be decency.
Old 03-02-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
It is unfair to lambast only Republicans for crap like this when 48 Democrats in the Senate and 180 or so Democrats in the House voted to drastically increase indeceny fines last year. Democrats are not any better on this issue than Republicans.

Yep.
Old 03-02-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True enough, but if the Republicans here are trying to pretend theirs *isn't* the party most strongly affiliated with combatting supposed indecency and immorality in the "culture wars," they're lying--and can eat my shorts.

This kind of "Hey, all parties have their fruitcakes" approach to this issue is a lie. If there *is* a culture war, then--by and large--the Republicans are the ones pandering to those on the side of repression.

That said, yes, such a partisan title is best left to the Politics Subforum.

Forever faithful to your party even when they're NOT faithful to you. Tote that party line baby! I think the Repubs here are saying they don't agree with this kind of shit from any party. Or maybe it's just me....I don't want anyone, Dem or Repub, telling me what I can and cannot see or hear.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-02-05 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
It is unfair to lambast only Republicans for crap like this when 48 Democrats in the Senate and 180 or so Democrats in the House voted to drastically increase indeceny fines last year. Democrats are not any better on this issue than Republicans.
And there is a reason they all vote for it. It is because a clear majority of voters support it. If anyone thinks they are doing it for any other reason they'd be wrong.
Old 03-03-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
And there is a reason they all vote for it. It is because a clear majority of voters support it. If anyone thinks they are doing it for any other reason they'd be wrong.

How do you know this? Seems to me the reason they vote for it is that the prudes are far more vocal about these things. How many people lodged complaints about Nipplegate? It was not half the country. It wasn't even half the Super Bowl audience. Not half the SB halftime audience. Not even close.
Old 03-03-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Forever faithful to your party even when they're NOT faithful to you. Tote that party line baby! I think the Repubs here are saying they don't agree with this kind of shit from any party. Or maybe it's just me....I don't want anyone, Dem or Repub, telling me what I can and cannot see or hear.
Trust me, I'm not a faithful Demo-defender. Only a faithful Repub-attacker. Republicans, Mormons, Southern Baptists and FullScreen-Buyers are all on my list--not as individuals, but certainly as institutions.

Last edited by adamblast; 03-03-05 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
How do you know this? Seems to me the reason they vote for it is that the prudes are far more vocal about these things. How many people lodged complaints about Nipplegate? It was not half the country. It wasn't even half the Super Bowl audience. Not half the SB halftime audience. Not even close.
It is very elementary politics. If there were political advantage to be made by taking the opposite position, most politicians would in a heartbeat. But they don't. Your view is in the minority of the voting public in the view of politicians. Since knowing this sort of thing is what they (and their staffers) do for a living, I am quite certain that is the case.
Old 03-03-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It is very elementary politics. If there were political advantage to be made by taking the opposite position, most politicians would in a heartbeat. But they don't. Your view is in the minority of the voting public in the view of politicians. Since knowing this sort of thing is what they (and their staffers) do for a living, I am quite certain that is the case.

No - I think the vocal minority is a lot louder and has more political clout than the silent majority. In other words, they are willing to go to the mat for their cause. The non-anal retentive don't have that same passion.
Old 03-04-05, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trust me, I'm not a faithful Demo-defender. Only a faithful Repub-attacker. Republicans, Mormons, Southern Baptists and FullScreen-Buyers are all on my list--not as individuals, but certainly as institutions.

Got it.