TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Peter Jenning's UFO Special

Old 02-24-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Peter Jenning's UFO Special

Are ya'll watchin'?

Story here

ABC News Special on UFO's Uses Footage, Research from Acclaimed James Fox Film, 'OUT OF THE BLUE'
Thursday February 24, 2:20 am ET
Award winning documentary now available on DVD from Hannover House

NEW YORK, Feb. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- The Peter Jennings ABC News Special "The UFO Phenomenon -- Seeing Is Believing" may be one of the most complete investigations ever into unexplained aerial phenomenon. But viewers from the scientific and research communities may recognize that some of the material in the ABC special comes from the acclaimed documentary Out Of The Blue from producer/director James Fox.

"I'm honored to have our research and footage utilized in ABC's prestigious investigation," said James Fox. "Peter Jennings and the ABC News team shared our approach by tackling this controversial subject from a neutral bias position, to enable viewers to draw their own conclusions. ABC's use of material from 'Out Of The Blue' is a professional endorsement of our film from a highly respectable news source," Fox concluded.

Out Of The Blue is an acclaimed documentary into the UFO phenomenon that relies heavily upon photographic and video footage, government documents and eyewitness accounts from credible authorities. Former Presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter give accounts of their involvement with UFO's, and NASA Astronauts Gordon Cooper and Edgar Mitchell speak about sightings and cover- ups in the military and government. Many other witnesses and authorities are featured, along with compelling film footage and photographs. The program is hosted by actor Peter Coyote ("Sphere")

"It's a powerful film," said Eric Parkinson, president of Hannover House, distributor of Out Of The Blue. "Regardless of preconceived notions, viewers are intrigued and moved by the program, and respond very positively. It really has to be seen to be believed."

Out Of The Blue is available on DVD through Amazon.com and many specialty retailers. Videos of the program were recently delivered to most members of Congress in Washington, D.C., as part of an initiative from the Sci Fi Channel to reopen Congressional investigations into cover ups and evidence of UFO's. Photos and video clips from "OUT OF THE BLUE" can be downloaded at the film's official website, http://www.OutOfTheBlue.TV
Old 02-25-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean are ya all buying? Because I don't see air dates for this, just info about buying a DVD of something already that has aired.
Old 02-25-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The tv special.
Old 02-25-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The tv special.

Yeah, got it. But what are the air dates?
Old 02-25-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Yeah, got it. But what are the air dates?
The Peter Jennings special aired earlier tonight.
Old 02-25-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any idea if it will be ran again? I missed it.
Old 02-25-05, 09:35 AM

the show was interesting but it really didn't elaborate on anything I hadn't heard before.

I thought the reconstruction animation of the downed weather balloon was interesting.

the show never once talked about the crop circle hysteria, which in my mind was long debunked as being a hoax and created by humans.

why are all supposed alien abductee's caucasian americans?- crazy white folk.

Lastly I would love to see a UFO should talk about the social and world consequences if aliens were ever to make themselves known, what would happen to the idea of religion - would that go out the window since the Bible teaches us that man was made in the image of God.
Old 02-25-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My DVR didn't tape it! It's a government conspiracy I tell you!
Old 02-25-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed the first 50 mins but started recording it when i saw this thread.I enjoy these kind of shows.
Old 02-25-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
what would happen to the idea of religion - would that go out the window since the Bible teaches us that man was made in the image of God.
Of course not. Religion would adapt, like it always has. Some people would say that all sentient life is "made in the image of God" (i.e., created with sentience), others would use it as bigoted justification for human superiority over other life in the universe, etc.
Old 02-25-05, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
...others would use it as bigoted justification for human superiority over other life in the universe, etc.
yet "man" is stupid and can't perfect interstellar travel.

I think aliens have gotten the gist that humans are inheritantly moronic and just are hellbent on destroying each other anyway.
Old 02-25-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yet "man" is stupid and can't perfect interstellar travel.
I doubt the aliens have perfected it either. Without FTL, they won't be visiting. Therefore, if there any "UFOs," it is the government testing secret aircraft.
Old 02-25-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

saw it. was okay. didn't say much i didn't know. surprised that peter jennings would do such a report. wouldn't that be a step down for someone trying to be a "trustworthy news reporter"?
Old 02-25-05, 11:08 AM

even the commercials seemed like cable fodder, a lot 1-800 ones, seemed like ABC was having a night off or something.
Old 02-25-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

why are all supposed alien abductee's caucasian americans?- crazy white folk.
Barney Hill, the "original" abductee, who along with his wife Betty(who was white) told the story that was made into a TV Movie with James Earl Jones The UFO Incident

Not surprisingly, after the TV movie aired in 1975, the plot of the movie became the blueprint for almost all the abduction stories that followed.
Old 02-25-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Barney Hill, the "original" abductee, who along with his wife Betty(who was white) told the story that was made into a TV Movie with James Earl Jones The UFO Incident

Not surprisingly, after the TV movie aired in 1975, the plot of the movie became the blueprint for almost all the abduction stories that followed.

Dark Skies was one!!
Old 02-25-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
saw it. was okay. didn't say much i didn't know. surprised that peter jennings would do such a report. wouldn't that be a step down for someone trying to be a "trustworthy news reporter"?
Well, UFOs have been taboo for the mainstream media in the U.S. for a LONG time, no matter how interesting or compelling the story. I think the fear here is that a "faker" could easily take a reporter for a ride based on his/her anecdoctal "facts."

And if people DID get coverage of UFOs, they tended to be the most far out wackos who are totally unbelievable.

I didn't watch the show so I don't know how successful it was. But, it sounded like they wanted to treat the subject matter as serious and yet approach it with enough skepticism as well. Coverage of UFO tends to be one-sided either way.

I also noticed Bryant Gumbel is hosting UFO specials on the Sci-Fi channel as well. So, I wonder if this will force Brian Williams and other anchors/reporters to follow up on this subject?
Old 02-25-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So did Jennings offer any irrefutable evidence as to whether or not they exist like he did with his JFK special?

Did that special really change anyone's opinion on either JFK's death or UFOs?
Old 02-25-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So did Jennings offer any irrefutable evidence as to whether or not they exist like he did with his JFK special?
What WAS the irrefutable evidence on JFK?
Old 02-25-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
What WAS the irrefutable evidence on JFK?

I didn't see any, but Jennings seemed pretty sure of himself in proving that Oswald acted alone.
Old 02-25-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the show was interesting even though I'm Mr. Skeptic when it comes to this kind of stuff. What I want to know were there ever UFO reportings from before 1800?
Before people had spaceships on their brain.
Old 02-25-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

what would happen to the idea of religion - would that go out the window since the Bible teaches us that man was made in the image of God.
I don't think the Bible is talking about physical appearance, mainly. Additionally, I have never read anything in the Bible that would indicate that Humans, earth, etc. are the only creation of God.

Otherwise, I think the idea that UFOs have visited the earth is absolutely silly. Hasn't happened. Won't happen. Not an issue.

I give much more weight to the idea of BigFoot, the Lockness Monster, Elvis still being alive, etc.
Old 02-25-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Of course not. Religion would adapt, like it always has. Some people would say that all sentient life is "made in the image of God" (i.e., created with sentience), others would use it as bigoted justification for human superiority over other life in the universe, etc.

Even Jennings says in his narration that whatever created man could've created outher life out there. Makes sense to me. It doesn't screw with my Faith on bit.
Old 02-25-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

I think they tried to put both sides out there and let you decide. I know I'm more open to UFO sightings than I am Abductions. Whether those sightings are "Top secret" military planes or something else I can keep an open mind. But people being taken into ships to be anally probed and forced to to breed alien babies is just too much for me.
Old 02-25-05, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think if aliens can master the distances involved with interstellar travel, and wanted to remain secretive, they would be smart enough to not have big flashing lights on their ships.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.