JAG 2/18. beginning of the end?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

so far seems like the beginning of the end for Harm
hey, it's Admiral Cartright and Hamid Karzai

doesn't seem right to have harm and sturges going at each other
Old 02-18-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i did read the other day that...

Spoiler:
david james elliott is leaving the show after the end of the year
Old 02-19-05, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
It will be a day to remember, indeed, when JAG goes off the air...

...provided of course, that it happens on a day when something else happens that anybody gives a damn about.
Old 02-19-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't really like the new guy.

Maybe they have finally finished jumping the shark.

I believe when Harm is gone, the show should end.
Old 02-19-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
The funny thing about JAG is that all of the sudden characters hate each other. WTF was all that btwn Sturges and Harm?

I just wonder if they offer closure on Mac & Harm if they decide to continue after this season.
Old 02-20-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
I missed the show and forgot to Tivo. Anyone want to give a recap or at least give me a link to a recap? thanks
Old 02-22-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think they did their best to ensure I won't be watching next year. No more Admiral, no more Harm, little to no Bud anymore = no sale. The new guy is boooring.
Old 02-22-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I missed the show and forgot to Tivo. Anyone want to give a recap or at least give me a link to a recap? thanks
doesn't have much
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...2/epid-401212/

It started out with a boat heading towards an oil platform. US helicopter warns them off in english and arabic but the boat keeps going to the gunner shoots up the back of the boat to disable it. That gets Harm, who is also going through the steps to get qualified on F18s, sent to the carrier the chopper was based off of. After the investigation Harm gets permission to do the carrier part of qualifications and while he is airborn a cesna type plane starts heading for the same platform and the regular CAP is farther away than Harm so they send him in. He tries a few things to get the plane off course but it goes back to heading at the platform so he shoots it down seconds before it would have hit, without specific orders to fire.
Sturges comes out to investigate the shoot down and him and harm act like enemies and almost come to blows. There was an important Iraqi on the plane that was supposedly on a survey type flight.
There was some sort of twist at the end that I'm not clear on, I think someone who supposedly died had the death faked in order to get his family out of Iraq safely and that Harm was in on it but I'm not clear what was going with that. It was at the very end. I think maybe the shoot down was staged or something
Old 02-22-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

From TV Guide's Matt Roush's Q&A this week:

As for JAG: Next to Arrested Development, the announcement of Elliott's departure generated the most mail since my last column. In the Feb. 27 issue of TV Guide, we follow this story, reporting that Elliott's contract was not renewed for economic reasons. A decision on whether JAG will even continue has not yet been reached, and how the Harm-Mac relationship will be resolved is being kept under wraps for now.
Old 02-22-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Economic reasons, I thought he had a contract to develop projects at ABC.
Old 02-23-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cdoug57
Economic reasons, I thought he had a contract to develop projects at ABC.

I believe he signed that after CBS didn't renew his contract.
Old 02-25-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Spoiler:
JAG's Star: Why He's Out
by Mary Murphy
TV Guide

David James Elliott did not jump ship; he was forced to walk the plank. Elliott, who plays Navy attorney Cmdr. Harmon "Harm" Rabb Jr. on JAG, is leaving the show when it concludes its 10th season in May.

Elliott, 44, has already signed a series-development deal with ABC. "David left, and we wish him well," JAG creator Donald Bellisario says. "His contract was up, and we never expected it to go on. We had to cut costs. [So] we started doing episodes with less of David, and it became obvious to him that we were not going to renegotiate."

Elliott's manager says CBS never responded to his client's salary request for another season, but "David loves CBS. [The role] had run its course. He has made a lucrative deal with ABC."

That said, there may not even be another season. CBS won't announce its fall lineup — including JAG's fate — until May, but Bellisario has made a preemptive strike by adding a new attorney to anchor the show. Chris Beetem, a 32-year-old As the World Turns veteran, joined the cast Feb. 18 as Lt. Gregory Vukovic and has already been signed for a potential 11th season.

"We want a younger, hipper JAG," Bellisario says. JAG attracts nearly 10 million viewers on average, but only a quarter of them are in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic coveted by advertisers.

One character who won't be swept overboard is Lt. Col. Sarah "Mac" MacKenzie, played by Catherine Bell. "It was always intended that Catherine would be [on] the show next season but [Elliott] would not," says Bellisario, who promises a surprise in May that will wrap up the relationship between Mac and Harm. But don't pick out wedding gifts just yet.
Old 02-25-05, 11:30 AM

That is so stupid. I gave up on this show back when it was announced that DJE would be leaving. The only reason I stuck around this long because I was waiting for them to get Harm and Mac together. This season has sucked with less of that dynamic, without the Admiral. I think for me it actually started to suck when they brought in the girl that lived with Harm for a while Maddy.
Old 02-25-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless they turn this into JAG/Baywatch there is no way they are going to make a large gain in younger market share. I think this is a great show, but guess what, I started watching it with my in-laws who are in their late 60's, early 70's. I doubt I would have watched it on my own and most others won't either. They are too busy being force fed all the reality crap which isn't even close to how good this show can be.
Old 02-25-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by beavismom
Unless they turn this into JAG/Baywatch there is no way they are going to make a large gain in younger market share. I think this is a great show, but guess what, I started watching it with my in-laws who are in their late 60's, early 70's.

Yeah - I don't see it happening either. Plus it sits in the Friday 9 pm timeslot, so I don't know exactly where these younger viewers are supposed to come from. Hopefully, the programming suits will realize this and not renew the show, which would allow Bellisario to craft a satisfying series finale.