DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Enterprise 02/18/05 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/410349-enterprise-02-18-05-a.html)

Chew 02-18-05 06:23 AM

Enterprise 02/18/05

Episode title: "Affliction"

Spoiler:
On Earth, Dr. Phlox is kidnapped by a band of Klingons, desperate to find a cure for a genetically-engineered virus that threatens their entire race, and Trip begins his new assignment aboard the starship Columbia as it prepares to embark on its maiden voyage. This arc reveals the beginnings of a second, smooth-headed breed of Klingon, seen in the original "Star Trek" series.

Meanwhile, Reed's ties to a mysterious intelligence organization compromises his allegiance to Archer and Enterprise. Later, T'Pol attempts her first mind-meld in the search for clues to Phlox's whereabouts.

Damfino 02-18-05 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
Episode title: "Affliction"

Spoiler:
On Earth, Dr. Phlox is kidnapped by a band of Klingons, desperate to find a cure for a genetically-engineered virus that threatens their entire race

Spoiler:
I hope they're not borrowing this idea from Crusade.

Iron_Giant 02-18-05 11:29 AM

Cool, why didn't they use these themes from the beginning? What a shame they went a different direction the 1st 3 years, it was a complete waste of time.

The "Enterprise" series was a perfect setup to explain the beginnings of the Federation. Man did they ever miss the boat. The series could have gone on for 7 years, instead the pushed away the core Star Trek fan base.

MvRojo 02-18-05 12:19 PM

I'm hoping this one's good. It ties a couple of the earlier arcs this season into the story of this one so that's good. I'm still not sure whether it was really necessary to do a story about this issue in the Trek universe.

klandersen 02-18-05 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Cool, why didn't they use these themes from the beginning? What a shame they went a different direction the 1st 3 years, it was a complete waste of time.

The "Enterprise" series was a perfect setup to explain the beginnings of the Federation. Man did they ever miss the boat. The series could have gone on for 7 years, instead the pushed away the core Star Trek fan base.

It could be that now since the end has been officially announced they finally decide explain things that should have been done 3 years ago. Sheeeesssh.

Iron_Giant 02-18-05 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MvRojo
I'm hoping this one's good. It ties a couple of the earlier arcs this season into the story of this one so that's good. I'm still not sure whether it was really necessary to do a story about this issue in the Trek universe.

I think this is one of the stories that needed to be told.

MvRojo 02-18-05 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I think this is one of the stories that needed to be told.

I guess, but I'm looking forward to the Reed sub-plot of this episode. Not to mention Hoshi, who's looking pretty hot this week in leather.

http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads...hi/320x240.jpg

mikehunt 02-18-05 07:15 PM

hoshi always looks hot
way better than n'pol
was that guy a precursor to
Spoiler:
section 31. I say precursor because according to the expanded universe the name section 31 comes from the fact that the 31st section of the federation charter is what created them

mikehunt 02-18-05 07:16 PM

and finally a "will continue" commercial that showed stuff that already happened instead of a spoiler

mikehunt 02-18-05 07:34 PM

WTF?
Spoiler:
are those smooth headed klingons?

Tracer Bullet 02-18-05 11:12 PM

Wow. That was actually, um, good. I still don't think they needed to explain the Klingon forehead problem, but this is a pretty damn good explanation.

Are all of the TOS-era Klingons now supposed to be augments?

mikehunt 02-18-05 11:18 PM

actually this explanation causes more problems than it's worth
Kang, Kor, and Koloth all came back in DS9 with ridges

Damfino 02-19-05 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
actually this explanation causes more problems than it's worth
Kang, Kor, and Koloth all came back in DS9 with ridges

aww, you beat me to it. of course Kang, Kor and Koloth could have had plastic surgery to appear more normal.

This was the best episode so far in this the best season of Enterprise.

MvRojo 02-19-05 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Wow. That was actually, um, good. I still don't think they needed to explain the Klingon forehead problem, but this is a pretty damn good explanation.

Are all of the TOS-era Klingons now supposed to be augments?

The episode was better than I had hoped, which is great.

I'm not sure if the smooth-headed Klingon issue is completely explained and next week will pretty much clear it all up.

lisadoris 02-19-05 07:21 AM

Good episode (though I could have done without the T'Pol-Trip daydream sequence). The Reed subplot could get very interesting if they are in fact trying to set up Section 31. I'll wait until next week to comment on the whole Klingon forehead thing - they've got some holes to fill as people have already pointed out.

cdoug57 02-19-05 09:00 AM

I really enjoyed this one. Glad to see the attempt to keep Enterprise continuity together. Not sure if all "ridge" questions will be answered, but I am waiting for the conclusion.

Hoshi put on some good moves.

Didn't like the dream sequence and it was odd to see Archer as a mind-meld facilitator.

Malcolm - very interesting subplot.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Red Dog 02-19-05 09:20 AM

Good episode and I like the answer to the Klingon question.

Phil L. 02-19-05 09:52 AM

Enterprise has the worst security ever. Every time they are boarded by hostile intruders beaming aboard (which happens frequently) the worthless MACOS can never stop them.
Intruders always seem to pretty much have the run of the ship and are free to access controls, and steal equipment, data, supplies, or crew members.

das Monkey 02-19-05 11:11 AM

It's so surreal and yet disappointing to see these good episodes now. The only thing really laughable was Archer's "assistance" during the mind meld. Everything else was actually pretty darn good.

das

Tracer Bullet 02-19-05 11:36 AM

It's amazing that they've been able to make these characters interesting and (almost) three-dimensional. To me, that's the biggest improvement in the show. When I stopped watching, they were running around trying to find out what Malcolm's favorite food was.

Iron_Giant 02-19-05 01:36 PM

It is finally a great show!

The Klingon flat heads solution was perfect, it made total since.

Section 31 is a great addition to the show, I hope Archer does not find out about it.

The characters have more depth now.

It is dealing with the history of the Federation the way it should have from the beginnig. They should have made a list of the history issues they wanted to cover and then checked them off one by one.

Red Dog 02-19-05 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Enterprise has the worst security ever. Every time they are boarded by hostile intruders beaming aboard (which happens frequently) the worthless MACOS can never stop them.
Intruders always seem to pretty much have the run of the ship and are free to access controls, and steal equipment, data, supplies, or crew members.

I don't remember the redshirts from TOS being all that impressive either.

tycho55 02-19-05 08:08 PM

Did anyone else notice that was James Avery (the Dad from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) playing General K'Vagh? He's definitely got a distinctive voice. :)

Cartload 02-19-05 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't remember the redshirts from TOS being all that impressive either.

Security on all the Enterprises have been a complete joke, but yeah, the TOS Enterprise was probably the worst of all. I can't count on one hand the number of times someone stormed the bridge and started karate chopping redshirts, or the occurances of someone taking over the auxilary control room.

runner001 02-19-05 08:30 PM

THANK YOU! I was trying and trying to figure out who it was that sounded and looked pretty familiar. now i know!