Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone watch & like Angel but actually not like or never seen Buffy?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have an intense hatred for the show Buffy (sorry guys), I've seen a good chunk of episodes & just despise it, the writing mostly, & the horrendously annoying characters, especially Buffy, Willow & the guy Xavier, I could never care about these characters.

I've never seen Angel or had the desire to see it, but after work last night I was forced to watch a few episodes & it actually wasn't too bad, plus I love Charisma Carpenter. I wouldn't buy it, but I think I'm going to borrow the sets & eventually watch them.

So is there actually anyone who likes Angel but hates Buffy. Or that watched Angel but never saw Buffy? Or is it just impossible to get into Angel without seeing Buffy?

Last edited by Sessa17; 02-17-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably not many. You should check out season 2 of Buffy when Angel really figured prominently. I thought those were the best, darkest plots.
Old 02-17-05, 05:55 PM

Or is it just impossible to get into Angel without seeing Buffy?
There actually are people who love Angel who don't like Buffy, and vice-versa. BtVS is the show that I liked first, and I really love seasons 1-3 of that show, but overall, I prefer Angel.

But to answer the question...no, it's not impossible to get into Angel without seeing Buffy. You end up missing quite a bit in terms of knowing who a lot of the characters are, but the show does end up coming into its own and developing its own mythology as time goes on. It's a good idea to have a working knowledge of "Buffy stuff", and knowing the characters who cross over, but you won't be totally lost.
Old 02-17-05, 09:06 PM

I'm wondering exactly which episodes you saw. The first season or so of Buffy has a good amount of clunky moments, and just isn't as good as the later stuff. It's really one of those shows that's worth giving a chance.

As areacode212 said, you don't necessarily need to have seen Buffy before seeing Angel, but there's going to be a lot of references in Angel to the prior 3 seasons of Buffy, and there's one episode in the first season that I imagine wouldn't have nearly the impact that it does if you don't know the history of the characters.
Old 02-17-05, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You can watch Angel without seeing Buffy, but alot of plotlines and jokes would go over your head. As in writing, Angel is much darker, but still very similar. Try watching Firefly if you get a chance.
Old 02-17-05, 09:38 PM

The first season of Buffy IS a little clunky, but that's one of the things I find endearing about it. There's not a lot of heavy arc stuff...it's mostly lighthearted & funny high school stories, but many of them still hold up nicely.

Hey Sessa17, which Angel episodes did you see that caused you to change your mind? Just curious.
Old 02-17-05, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Who's Xavier?

Anyway, I love them both.
Old 02-17-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
How bout....Like Angel. Like Buffy. Hate Gellar?
Old 02-17-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hated Buffy ever since Season 4. The cast and stories just sucked. I watched them all because im a Whedon fan, but Angel is above and beyond a better show. Period.
Old 02-17-05, 10:33 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can borrow it, there's no reason not to watch it. Considering how often Buffy references continuity, it's surprising how little crossover there is between Buffy and Angel. There's always little nods, but it almost never affects the show, so you won't miss out on anything.

What do you think of AXM? Is that part of the reason you're interested in trying Angel?
Old 02-18-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
After seeing why you liked Angel, I'd be little surprised that you wouldn't like at least some of Buffy. Or at least the Charisma Carpenter years of Buffy. And they use some of the smae writers on both shows too
Old 02-18-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watch Angel but have only seen Buffy once.
Old 02-18-05, 10:11 AM

And they use some of the smae writers on both shows too
True, but I think one of the things that distinguished Angel from Buffy, and gave it its own personality & feel, was that two of its showrunners (Minear & Bell) hadn't worked on Buffy at all.
Old 02-28-05, 07:25 PM

What I'd like to know is if I'm the only person who likes Angel & Buffy, but not Firefly. I rented the first disk from net flix months ago & it just didn't interest me. A lot of people act like it's a new religion or something.
Old 03-01-05, 08:07 AM
Cool New Member

i think what makes angel stand out is that its beyond the highschool antics that are so prominent in buffy..for someone in their late 20's or early 30's I'm sure the more mature nature of Angel would be more appealing.I find the themes in angel are just abit more mature and adult that i enjoy it more then buffy due to being older.
Old 03-01-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by movielib
Who's Xavier?

Anyway, I love them both.
He is the gay coffee shop owner in "Felicity".
Old 03-01-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma311
What I'd like to know is if I'm the only person who likes Angel & Buffy, but not Firefly. I rented the first disk from net flix months ago & it just didn't interest me. A lot of people act like it's a new religion or something.
Yes you are, the angry pitchfork wielding mob will be at your home shortly.
Seriously though, I love all three, though I admit Firefly isn't really the same as Buffy/Angel. My wife and I have always been a fairly eclectic in our hobbies, so perhaps we were just a little more open to it.

As for B/A, I had heard of Buffy the series here and there, but it wasn't just under my radar; it was about ten miles west of the whole radar screen. Then one night, for some bizarre reason, I caught the episode of Angel where they go to Lorne's dimension and find Fred and I was hooked like a walleye. I then caught the last few eps of Buffy season 5, and that hit me like a hammer. (after I watched some more eps of each, I rewatched The Gift and nearly started blubbering like a school girl).

I love them both, but I think the fact that Angel Investigations more often goes looking for the trouble, makes it a hair more interesting.
Old 03-01-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Emma311
It didn't get me hooked until the 5th or 6th episode. Give it another try, and soldier through. By the end it's worth it. A month ago i hadn't seen 1 episode of firefly, now i can't wait for Serenity.
Old 03-01-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never seen Buffy, nor do I have any real interest in it. We didn't have a WB network on our cable service, so I couldn't have seen if it I wanted to.

I started watching Angel reruns on TNT because I watched so many other shows on the network that I just left it on as background noise while I was online. Didn't like the first few eps of season 1, but it grew on me. Now I have seasons 1 & 2 on DVD, and I'm working on getting the rest.