Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost 02/09/05

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freudguy
Don't get me wrong, I love Lost. But it's 15 shows into the season and I don't know a single thing more as to the nature of the island except more questions. However, I think part of this is due to the fact that the writers are building up the characters, letting us get acquainted with them. They are taking time for character development, which is great.
But also think of this:
How much background info do we need on the characters before it becomes redundant? If this show goes on for several more seasons, the plot structure will have to be revamped because 5+ season of flashbacks wouldn't make sense & would become damn boring, IMHO.
next season could be Survivor: everybody sitting around, waiting to be rescued and they play golf to kill time.
Old 02-10-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
I have to agree that, while I love the show--and it's likely to be one of my favorites for a long time--they have to start making some serious storyline progressions and "reveals" soon. Things have to change.

Far too many times now we've seen something--the monster, the french woman, the underground door, the boy with powers, Ethan--and been led to think: Holy Crap! This changes everything!! Only find out: nope, nothing's changed, nothing's happened, know one knows anything, it's just another day on the island... That in itself starts to feel like cheating after awhile.
That's what I'm thinking. I mean, I don't need all the answers, but enough with the major plot twists that end in cliffhangers and then aren't dealt with afterwards. The metal hatch was the big one, but there are others. And you'd think they would at least try to find Rousseau again and get some more information about the island.
Old 02-10-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
man, i was as pissed at Charlie (if not more) as the characters on the show were. now we'll never get answers!
You sure you dont mean the writers? Love how they are stretching it out and not giving us any answers just more questions. I've read a lot of threads and people are starting to get really tired of this, myself included. This could backfire on them!!!!!

Twin Peaks comes to mind with me too. The lack of answers was it's undoing.

Last edited by riley_dude; 02-10-05 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It definitely could backfire, but that's the fun. It's a dangerous path with either a huge pay-off or dissappointment. Time will tell. UNtil then, it's a great ride.
Old 02-10-05, 03:24 PM

I don't really have a problem with a slow reveal, and I like the character development. But if they are going to do multiple flashback episodes per character I feel that we should learn something new about the character. We already knew Charlie was a junkie, so it felt like this was just a repeat of the first Charlie episode. I don't really consider the fact that Charlie wants to be dependable as much for character development...
Old 02-10-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Well this article touches what we have been discussing here...

The mysteries on 'Lost' will be solved -- eventually
Alan Sepinwall, The Star-Ledger
Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Tonight... The (Lost) castaways are stunned by the return of Claire and prepare to defend themselves against her kidnappers.

DAMON LINDELOF understands your suspicion. Really, he does.

Lindelof is the co-creator of "Lost," ABC's intricately plotted hit thriller about plane crash survivors stranded on a tropical island where nothing is quite as it seems. But he's also a fan of shows like the one he writes, and he's been burned enough times in the past to sympathize with "Lost" viewers who are starting to wonder if he and J.J. Abrams know where the story is going, or if they're just piling mystery on top of mystery to hide the fact that they're making it up as they go along.

"As a member of the community who loved 'The X-Files' for all those years and felt bummed out by the end of it, all I can say is, we're cognitive of trying not to go down the same path," says Lindelof.

"The X-Files." It always comes back to "The X-Files," whose success at blending thriller elements with sci-fi staples and a complex "mythology" made shows like "Lost" possible, and whose ultimate creative failure made viewers hesitant to buy into those later shows.

"X-Files" creator Chris Carter and his writers used to swear up and down that they had the entire series mapped out, that they knew the answer to every question raised and would reveal it in due course, that the fate of Mulder's sister, the goals of the Cigarette Smoking Man's conspiracy, the origin of the black oil, etc., would all make perfect sense and be satisfying to the fans who had speculated about them for years. And when it became blindingly obvious that answers were either not coming or didn't track with what had happened before, the official story changed. It was the fault of the show's huge success, they started to say; if "X-Files" had only run five years with no movie or later seasons, everything would have wrapped up neatly, but the need to keep going ruined the master plan.

"Lost," with its monsters, miracles and mysteries, represents the best of "X-Files," but halfway through season one, some viewers are starting to worry that it may represent the worst of "X-Files," too.

What is the monster? Where is this island? How did anyone, let alone several dozen people, survive a crash that should have pulverized everyone on board? How can wheelchair-user John Locke suddenly walk? Does Walt have psychic powers? How many people were already on the island before the crash? Is Claire's baby really destined to be evil? Why would Kate orchestrate a violent bank robbery to recover a model airplane? Was Jack's father really in the coffin?

And that's a very partial list of mysteries the show hasn't gotten around to answering yet.

"Every mystery that we present on the show -- what is the monster, where does Ethan come from, why hasn't Claire had her baby yet -- all of those are questions that we know the answers to," asserts Lindelof. "But how and when we present the answers isn't set in stone."

The "how and when" is the million dollar question. Lindelof is aware of the very thin tightrope he and Abrams walk with this show. One of the biggest mysteries from the pilot episode was the source of the 16-year-old French distress signal that some of the castaways picked up on a dying transmitter. The writers hadn't planned to answer that until late this season, but then decided they needed to throw the audience a big bone early on so people would believe more answers would be coming in time.

And in typical "Lost" fashion, the solution only raised more questions -- Exactly what happened to the French woman's colleagues? How does she still have power to send the signal? -- that Lindelof insists will also be answered at an unspecified date.

"Now they know the source of the 16-year-old transmission, and the audience goes, 'I'm not satisfied.' Well, if you're satisfied, you'll stop watching. We have to walk that line. It's not easy, and hopefully we won't betray the audience."

Carter's five-season plan for "X-Files" sounded nice in theory, but Lindelof knows it can't work in an open-ended industry like network television.

"Basically, a television show is, you're starting a race where no one tells you where the finish line is," he says. "If someone told me, 'You're going to run 6 miles,' I would run a lot faster than I would run if you told me I was going to run 26 miles. We don't know how long we're going to be on the air for. It's a business ... We can't hide behind the commerce of it, but at the same time, I can't say to (ABC president) Steve MacPherson, 'I'm only doing five years of the show,' because he'll say, 'Great! We'll bring in new guys after you leave and they'll continue to do the show.'"

With no way of knowing how many seasons to plan for, the "Lost" writers have to carefully dole out information without providing so much closure that the audience up and leaves.

"When the audience demands answers, we'll give them to them," he insists. "But I will say, as a viewer, sometimes people say they want something but they don't really want it. 'Moonlighting' ended when David and Maddy got together, and I was right there saying, 'I want it! Get it over with!,' or (with 'X-Files'), 'I want Scully to stop being skeptical! She's seen enough weird stuff to not be skeptical!' But once she started believing like Mulder did, the show wasn't the show anymore."

But no matter how well they pace things, Lindelof also worries that the final answers will disappoint.

"Inevitably, of course you'll be let down. How can I or J.J. or anyone else possibly be better than your imagination? You don't know what your imagination is, but you have very lofty expectations. If I show you what the monster is at the end of season one, nobody in America is going to be like, 'That is so much better than what I thought it was going to be.' In fact, 100 percent of the people who see it are going to say, 'Wow, that is not as cool as I thought it was going to be.' So what did you think it was going to be? 'I don't know, but I was imagining it would be much cooler.' We think it's pretty cool, but we know people are going to be bummed out."

While waiting to hand out answers, Lindelof has to concern himself with other matters, like maintaining the show's complicated narrative structure, where half of every episode is a flashback to the pre-crash life of one of the 14 regular characters. At this point, we've seen early glimpses of everyone except laid-back everyman Hurley (it's coming later in the season), but Lindelof says not to expect many more flashbacks featuring the younger characters.

"It's tough. We can do lots with Jack, because Matthew Fox can probably play anywhere from 22 to the age he is now, but we can't go back very far with Boone because Ian Somerhalder is going to look the age that he is, no matter how you try to disguise it."

Spoiler:
In other future developments, "I can say that there will be other mystery things arising that will make the 'monster' pale in comparison to what you're going to want to find out. We're still trying to be firmly ensconced in the world of science fact. I don't think we've shown anything on the show yet that has no rational explanation in the real world that we all function in. We certainly hint at psychic phenomena, happenstance and being in a place where they probably shouldn't be, but nothing is flat out impossible. There are no spaceships, there isn't any time travel."

And after two episodes in a three-episode span featured major characters dying, only to miraculously return to life, Lindelof pledges not to cry wolf again.

"I promise you: The next time you see a dead body, that person's going to stay dead."
Old 02-10-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Achtung
The metal hatch was the big one, but there are others.
The metal hatch will be talk about in the next few episodes, at least from the spoilers I have been reading.
Old 02-10-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Just don't understand why people complain that this show is too slow

We finally get a well written show and people start complaining about being:
a) too boring
b) not enough "monsters"
c) not enough answers to the show mysteries.

Don't people understand that if they give you all of the answers right away they wouldn't be a need for more seasons.
Count me in as agreeing, and thanks whoever posted the well-written article that explains the producers' thoughts on this.
Old 02-10-05, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by freudguy
But also think of this: How much background info do we need on the characters before it becomes redundant? If this show goes on for several more seasons, the plot structure will have to be revamped because 5+ season of flashbacks wouldn't make sense & would become damn boring, IMHO.
I disagree that it HAS to become boring; all of these people lived full lives before the plane crash, and there are a LOT of them... we get a few tidbits per flashback, not their life story, so there's a lot of relevant material in their lives left. Not that I would WANT flashbacks, I'm just saying they don't necessarily mean a waste of time.
Old 02-10-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Don't people understand that if they give you all of the answers right away they wouldn't be a need for more seasons..
I dont think most want ALL the answers just a few maybe? Some payoffs to the many questions? They going to have us wait (if there's any viewers left) till season 5? Not right!
Let's hope Lindelof is not pulling out leg and we do actually get a few Bones thrown to us.

Last edited by riley_dude; 02-10-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did everyone see Jimmy Kimmel visiting the set of Lost on his show last night? I just watched it and was laughing my ass off.
Old 02-10-05, 06:55 PM

I'm about to start reading this thread..but wanted to post my thoughts first. Charlie is utterly and completely useless. Unfortunately since he is one of the few "known" actors I doubt he will sleep with the fishes...but I sure do hope he sleeps with said fishes. He is extremely annoying and to think two flashback eps have now been assigned to him...ugh.

So they had to wait till someone was killed before the guns came out. I don't think it could have been more obvious. BTW I wonder how it passed by the good Dr. they have a former Republican Guard among them.

Last edited by maxpower; 02-10-05 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get all the Charlie hate. I would have wanted to kill Ethan also. He did hang Charlie and leave him for dead.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I wondered if Charlie could have been pulling a "Jack Ruby" by killing Ethan. Maybe he knows something that he didn't want Ethan to reveal?

I found it interesting that both Charlie and Claire had selective amnesia after their ordeals with Ethan. Unless Charlie remembers something (consciously or not) that he did not want the others to know about Ethan.

I was giggling at the Anyong reference, I thought it was a total shout-out to Arrested Development. I figured Charlie must have been an AD watcher to know that word means hello in Korean. I also loved the Office reference. And I still love that Charlie's estranged brother and feuding bandmate is named Liam (Oasis anyone?)
Old 02-10-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I read that Philly's Y100 radio station offered some speculation that Ethan is the polar bear, and his scratches on his face were from Michael jabbing the knife at the bear while he was in that tree bundle after rescuing Walt from there in a previous episode.

Just food for thought since we all know the rampant, nutty, speculation is the best part of the show, for now.
This would explain the cheesy CGI of the polar bear. Maybe it was intentional, which did cross my mind when it first aired.

Originally Posted by cdoug57
Did it appear that Ethan came up out of the ground before he made his run after Claire? That is what it looked like to me.
Funny thing, when Claire was waiting for Ethan I told my wife, "Wouldn't it be cool if the ground opened up under Claire and she fell into Ethan's arms, underground?"... That would explain some of the "hatch" situation. Tunnels!
Old 02-10-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I don't get all the Charlie hate. I would have wanted to kill Ethan also. He did hang Charlie and leave him for dead.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I wondered if Charlie could have been pulling a "Jack Ruby" by killing Ethan. Maybe he knows something that he didn't want Ethan to reveal?

I found it interesting that both Charlie and Claire had selective amnesia after their ordeals with Ethan. Unless Charlie remembers something (consciously or not) that he did not want the others to know about Ethan.
Good observations, especially the Oasis one. Driveshaft was bugging me, because I knew there was something familiar about them.

I'd forgotten about Charlie's previous encounter with Ethan. Earlier in the thread, I had wondered if Claire had really escaped, or was freed.

Something about Ethan just doesn't add up. Why does he need Charlie to return Claire to him? Couldn't he have just sneaked into the camp and taken her? If he's able to sneak into a guarded camp and kill someone without the knowledge of anyone, abducting someone from from an unguarded camp should be easier.
Old 02-10-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The thought that Anyong is a reference to Arrested Development is perhaps the most rediculous theory to come out of a Lost thread since the show premered.

BTW...for those of you who WANT ANSWERES NOW!!!......did you also WANT SD6 BROKEN UP NOW!!!!

How well did that work out for ya?
Old 02-10-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Ah, and another thing I just thought of.

How would they have tried to get information out of Ethan? Would they dare to ask Sayid to torture someone else? Or would he just give Charlie a few tips, and have him go at it?
Old 02-10-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The thought that Anyong is a reference to Arrested Development is perhaps the most rediculous theory to come out of a Lost thread since the show premered.

BTW...for those of you who WANT ANSWERES NOW!!!......did you also WANT SD6 BROKEN UP NOW!!!!

How well did that work out for ya?
What's SD6?
Old 02-10-05, 10:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
hope this isnt out of context, but...

How was Jack able to take on Ethan? It was only a few episodes ago that the doctor got his ass kicked, and now Jack is able to solely kick the crap out of big bad Ethan?
Old 02-11-05, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kennyx
hope this isnt out of context, but...

How was Jack able to take on Ethan? It was only a few episodes ago that the doctor got his ass kicked, and now Jack is able to solely kick the crap out of big bad Ethan?
Didn't Ethan throw Jack down a hill and he landed on his head the first time? He must have been pretty dazed. But this time he was ready and waiting for him instead of being ambushed.
Old 02-11-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Happy that Vincent is all right.
Old 02-11-05, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
What's SD6?
Alias. at the reference
Old 02-11-05, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Fireboard
Didn't Ethan throw Jack down a hill and he landed on his head the first time? He must have been pretty dazed. But this time he was ready and waiting for him instead of being ambushed.
He was also really pissed off.
Old 02-11-05, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meh, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but all I was thinking the whole time was, "Damn, this is a great show".
Old 02-11-05, 09:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Fireboard
Yeah, I thought about that, but still... IIRC Ethan was just a superior fighter (his blocking, throwdowns, etc...). Plus you take into consideration his strength (lifting charlie up and then pinning him up against a tree a foot off the ground with just one hand), you'd think he'd put a better fight (not to mention Locke saying in a previous episode that he was a superior hunter).

I dunno.. I know it's not a big deal, but this just kind of 'surprised' me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.