Reload this Page >

Quantum Leap Question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Quantum Leap Question

Old 02-08-05, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quantum Leap Question

i know im gonna sound like a geek, but this morning out of nowhere, QL popped into my head and i remembered how much i liked it when i was a kid.

heres my question, how come Sam never tried to contact his younger self at any time and tell him not to create Project QL? was this ever brought up during the shows run?
Old 02-08-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my personal thought on this is that if sam as his younger self were contacted by some stranger and told not to create the project, that would probably cause him to become even more curious and determined. being a brilliant scientist (amongst other disciplines), he may eventually surmise that his project will work and become even more excited about completing it.

if sam were to tell his younger self the truth (not pretend to be someone else) and say that his project worked but don't create it, this won't work either. sam, i believe, was motivated by the possibility of saving his 1st love and to see his father again and such. i think his younger self would still go forth with the project. ...

that's my opinion anyway.
Old 02-08-05, 01:33 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by runner001
my personal thought on this is that if sam as his younger self were contacted by some stranger and told not to create the project, that would probably cause him to become even more curious and determined. being a brilliant scientist (amongst other disciplines), he may eventually surmise that his project will work and become even more excited about completing it.

if sam were to tell his younger self the truth (not pretend to be someone else) and say that his project worked but don't create it, this won't work either. sam, i believe, was motivated by the possibility of saving his 1st love and to see his father again and such. i think his younger self would still go forth with the project. ...

that's my opinion anyway.
It's the Biff factor from BTTF
Old 02-08-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JLB
It's the Biff factor from BTTF
I'm familiar with the classic trilogy but I'm not sure how this applies. could you elaborate a bit more?
Old 02-08-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm familiar with the classic trilogy but I'm not sure how this applies. could you elaborate a bit more?

I think he means that Biff went back to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac and make him rich but time fixed itself by having Marty thwart his timeline in the alternate 1985 to reverse what had happened and at the end of the second movie Biff was still waxing Martys dad's BMW just like at the end of the first movie. So if Sam went back to tell himself not to start QL something along the timeline would happen to insure that QL was started and that Sam was a part of it. Hope that makes sense because it didnt when I was writing it.
Old 02-08-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We are talking about a man who tested a very risky invention on himself without consulting anybody else he worked with. He was a man of science who was determined to finish his creation no matter the risks.

Had he gone back and talked to his younger self I too believe that his interest in science would of grown tremendously and he still would of created the device when his younger self was older enough.
Old 02-08-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
I think he means that Biff went back to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac and make him rich but time fixed itself by having Marty thwart his timeline in the alternate 1985 to reverse what had happened and at the end of the second movie Biff was still waxing Martys dad's BMW just like at the end of the first movie. So if Sam went back to tell himself not to start QL something along the timeline would happen to insure that QL was started and that Sam was a part of it. Hope that makes sense because it didnt when I was writing it.
O I C. so basically you are subscribing to the FGTW is controlling everything theory whereas my reason has more to do with an individual making a choice. not saying either one of us is right, just making an observation.
Old 02-08-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The result of this would be the same result that happened in the final episode:

Spoiler:
When Sam told Al's wife that Al was still alive and coming home, Project Quantum Leap was never created, and thus Sam was never able to leap back home. So if he told his younger self never to create the project, Sam would have been stuck leaping forever. He made the choice in the final episode because he wanted to leap home...but wanted to help Al more - that's what makes that final show so heartbreaking and moving.

God (aka The Bartender): What do you want Sam?

Sam: I want to go home...but I know there's something I have to do.

God: God Bless, Sam.

Old 02-08-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Speaking of the final episode, what was the picture they show at the end finale?
Old 02-08-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
They touched on this in a couple of episodes if I'm not mistaken. Probably the finale to. Memory is hazy. But I distinctly remember them talking about all the lives he has changed and all the good he has done. If he had convinced his younger self to not create QL then all was for naught. Sam being the boy scout he is, would hate to see all those people's lives ruined in a blink of an eye over him being selfish.

ShannonNut, I understand what you are getting at, but the ending can be taken different ways. Just because he
Spoiler:
saved Al's marraige, doesn't mean QL wouldn't have happened. Just means Al might not have been involved. If he wasn't then Sam would have found another friend to come up with funding and link his brain with in Ziggy. Sam was the quantum physicist, not Al. He wasn't that integral to getting Ziggy and the actual "accelerator" working. He helped with funding, but like I said, there is always someone willing to fill that job.

I saw the finale as GFTW, as giving Sam one choice/ chance to get out. Sam took the road less travelled sealing his fate of
Spoiler:
never returning home.
Therefore putting his trust in GFTW to eventually get him home.
Old 02-08-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

BTW, I love how we are spoilerizing a show that aired over 10 years ago. It is such a special show, I would hate to ruin it for those just discovering it on dvd.
Old 02-09-05, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Baumer
i know im gonna sound like a geek, but this morning out of nowhere, QL popped into my head and i remembered how much i liked it when i was a kid.

heres my question, how come Sam never tried to contact his younger self at any time and tell him not to create Project QL? was this ever brought up during the shows run?
Haven't you ever seen the season 3 episode "The Leap Home"? Sam leaps into himself as a 16 year old kid, back in Elk Ridge. So, if ever there was a chance to change history and convince himself to never get involved in the Starlight Project and its derivative Quantum Leap, this was it. However, since the whole reason he was there was to save his brother Tom from dying in Vietnam, the whole issue is moot.
Old 02-09-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Haven't you ever seen the season 3 episode "The Leap Home"? Sam leaps into himself as a 16 year old kid, back in Elk Ridge. So, if ever there was a chance to change history and convince himself to never get involved in the Starlight Project and its derivative Quantum Leap, this was it. However, since the whole reason he was there was to save his brother Tom from dying in Vietnam, the whole issue is moot.
I think it's interesting how Sam saved his brother, but that had no effect on his future. There was also an episode where young Sam hears about the time travel/string theory from a Sci-fi tv host that old Sam helped, resulting in young Sam developing an interest in time travel.

Great show btw.
Old 02-09-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
sam also told one of his professors that the string theory worked. he was trying to protect some woman and took her to the professor's cabin to hide out and the professor showed up
Old 02-10-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
ShannonNut, I understand what you are getting at, but the ending can be taken different ways. Just because he
Spoiler:
saved Al's marraige, doesn't mean QL wouldn't have happened. Just means Al might not have been involved. If he wasn't then Sam would have found another friend to come up with funding and link his brain with in Ziggy. Sam was the quantum physicist, not Al. He wasn't that integral to getting Ziggy and the actual "accelerator" working. He helped with funding, but like I said, there is always someone willing to fill that job.
Michael, I would agree with you, except that:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that one of the text codas at the very end of the last episode stated that Project Quantum Leap was never created as a result of Sam's actions

I'd have to watch the show again to be sure...haven't seen it since it aired.
Old 02-10-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trout
Speaking of the final episode, what was the picture they show at the end finale?
If you're talking about this picture (which was over the end credits), I believe it's a young Donald Bellasario with his father:

Old 02-15-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Michael, I would agree with you, except that:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure that one of the text codas at the very end of the last episode stated that Project Quantum Leap was never created as a result of Sam's actions

I'd have to watch the show again to be sure...haven't seen it since it aired.
It just said that he
Spoiler:
never returned home. Didn't mention the project at all

Just ordered season 2. I held out as long as I could, but music be damned I want to watch all these episodes again.
Old 02-15-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It just said that he
Spoiler:
never returned home. Didn't mention the project at all

Just ordered season 2. I held out as long as I could, but music be damned I want to watch all these episodes again.
okay. that's what I thought I remembered. but since I didn't have access to the episodes, I couldn't be sure.
Old 02-15-05, 02:49 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh Boy!
Old 02-15-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

okay. that's what I thought I remembered. but since I didn't have access to the episodes, I couldn't be sure.
Well, I used to have it on tape, I watched it probably 2 dozen times, but it has been a while since I have seen it.
Old 02-15-05, 05:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, if I remember correctly, in the episode where young Al was on trial..

Spoiler:

At one point in the show, Al's chances of being convicted and sentenced to die are inching higher and higher. Al counts 98..99...and then another voice says 100. Sam turns, and there's Roddy McDowell announcing that it was a 100% chance that Ensign Calavicchi was going to be executed. He then called Ziggy "Alpha". Sam finds the evidence that proves young Al was innocent, and all is suddenly back to normal.

So what does that prove? Well, it COULD prove that even if Al had not been there, Quantum Leap would've gone on. Perhaps a few things would've changed, but the program as a whole would've survived. Ziggy was built with both Sam and Al's personalities, but it wasn't essential for Al to be there.
Old 02-15-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly. Little things would change. Not the big picture. Like in some futures Sam is married and in others he is not, but the project is always there. Like it is the centerpoint. No matter what changes Project Quantum Leap(Starbright, Alpha, etc) will still exist.

BTW, anyone who misses this show should check out the novels. There are about 15 of them and every one is excellent and captures the magic of the show.