Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 02/05/05 - H: Paris Hilton; MG: Keane

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,258 Posts
To be honest the stuff I saw tonite was pretty funny. I'm not much of Paris fan but I thought she was actually pretty decent.

Now it's 1am so I'm going over to BBC America to see some real comedy gold....The Kumars at No. 42.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-06-05 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-06-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Paris Hilton did suprisingly well as host, but I don't know if she actually did a good job or it was my low expectations I've had all week knowing she was going to host. I mean with low expectations a bad job looks ok and an ok job looks great.
Old 02-06-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
She did far better than I expected. It was a decent episode, far better than Giamatti (not that it was his fault, but the writing was at least better this week).

Cheapkids.net and Merv The Perv were obviously the standouts. The barbie skit was OK.

I'm amazed that they didn't even touch on the State Of The Union address, but perhaps they've finally realized that the Bush sketches this year have been horrendously bad.

Still, here I am watching the Classic episode they're showing, and it's like it comes from a different planet. Of course it's from '78, stars Steve Martin, and features the debut of The Blues Brothers

Other great bits:
Two Wild And Crazy Guys
Theodoric Of York: Medieval Barber
Steve Martin's performance of King Tut
Ackroyd calling Jane an ignorant misguided slut on Update

Basically it's one of the best episodes of all time. Sure would be nice if they could do something even 1/10 as good as this.
Old 02-06-05, 12:41 PM

I can't believe people thought Paris did a good job. She was terrible. She couldn't even act as herself in the Donatella skit....

The entire show was garbage. Also am I the only one that thought the cheapkids bit was utter crap. This show is painfull to watch anymore. I think it's finally time to kill it off and move on. I flipped the channel during the show and came across an infomercial selling the best of sets and it's just sad to see how funny the show used to be. Sure they had a bad season every now and then, but this is like 3 or 4 bad seasons in a row...
Old 02-06-05, 12:54 PM

Received 898 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmio
Also am I the only one that thought the cheapkids bit was utter crap.
Nope, you're not.

I thought those commercials were the worst part of the show.

To Merv the Perv! "... But his father has a Porche."
Old 02-06-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKing
Still, here I am watching the Classic episode they're showing, and it's like it comes from a different planet. Of course it's from '78, stars Steve Martin, and features the debut of The Blues Brothers

Other great bits:
Two Wild And Crazy Guys
Theodoric Of York: Medieval Barber
Steve Martin's performance of King Tut
Ackroyd calling Jane an ignorant misguided slut on Update

Basically it's one of the best episodes of all time. Sure would be nice if they could do something even 1/10 as good as this.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the STEVE MARTIN/BLUES BROTHERS episode on NBC last nite, King.

I think this episode ranks as one of the all-time greatest SNL's of all time. The only other one that was as solid as this one was probably:

the first time that JERRY SEINFELD hosted - with Stand Up and Win, Elijah the Prophet, Jerry's monologue....
Old 02-06-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
overall, paris did pretty good.. agree?
Agreed, and I was hoping she would flub lots of lines causing very uncomfortable live TV moments.
Old 02-06-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Horrible episode. Paris was one of the worst hosts I've seen in a while (only De Niro I think was as bad this season).

They milked that cheapkids.net commercial for all it was worth, that's for sure. The only thing good about this episode was Merv the Perv, and only because that one's always a classic.
Old 02-06-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
I've only seen the monologue, and while it wasn't funny at all, I felt horrible for that little white chihuahua (spelling?) that Keenan was holding, the dog was shaking like crazy and looked terrified.
every one I've ever seen is like that all the time
even hilton's was shaking
Old 02-06-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Are we comparing SNL against comedy in general or just against itself? Because in the whole comedy scale SNL is bottom of the barrel now.
Old 02-06-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
SNL is far from the bottom of the barrel when compared to all comedy.

It is, however, approaching 80-81 and 85-86 levels of SNL crapitude. In some ways I'd say it's already surpassed those.

They need to clean house, get new writers (which I think is the biggest problem), and a whole new cast (maybe keep Armisen, Parnell and Poehler) wouldn't hurt either.

Tina Fey is supposedly going to head up a sitcom in the fall, which would hopefully lead to her stepping down as head writer.

UNTITLED TINA FEY PROJECT (NBC) - "SNL" head writer Tina Fey has scored a pilot production order from the Peacock for a new comedy about the head writer of a variety show who has to manage her relationships with the show's volatile star and executive producer. The project, which is set up at Lorne Michaels' Broadway Video and NBC Universal Television, stems from a development deal the actress/writer signed with NBC in May 2003 (read the story). In addition to starring and writing the pilot, which will tape this summer once her "SNL" duties have completed, Fey will executive produce along with Michaels, Broadway's Joann Alfano and 3 Arts' David Miner.

Last edited by TheKing; 02-06-05 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-06-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paris was ok. Not exceeding funny. Just ok. I mean she read her lines well. However, I felt she was staring at the cue cards a lot. She did a good job of hiding it apparently. She always has that totally model fake gaze. It's very tiring. Also irritating is how much she thinks she's hot. But I do admit to watching her and Nicole Richie in The Simple Life.

Trump skit stunk. Bear City too.

Donatella skits always make me laugh.

Geek phone sex hotline was cute and good for a chuckle.
Old 02-07-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see the Paris Hilton Hate Train is still running on time. God, you guys are SO predictable sometimes....

She was a fine host and if it had been anyone else, you all would have said the same thing, but it's more popular these days to trash Paris than to actually be objective. I went into the show planning on fast forwarding through most of it and ended up actually watching everything except the Trump skit (tiresome) and the Bar and Bear City (which just hurts my mind). Most of the rest was FAR funnier than most of the crap we've seen this season.
Old 02-07-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKing
SNL is far from the bottom of the barrel when compared to all comedy.

It is, however, approaching 80-81 and 85-86 levels of SNL crapitude. In some ways I'd say it's already surpassed those.

They need to clean house, get new writers (which I think is the biggest problem), and a whole new cast (maybe keep Armisen, Parnell and Poehler) wouldn't hurt either.

Tina Fey is supposedly going to head up a sitcom in the fall, which would hopefully lead to her stepping down as head writer.
Fey may be leaving? Perhaps there is hope.

BTW, your sentiments on SNL agree with mine completely.
Old 02-07-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by SMB-IL
I see the Paris Hilton Hate Train is still running on time. God, you guys are SO predictable sometimes....
Yeah, I was gonna get off at the "OMG Paris is SO HOT and she drops to her knees at every sight of a videocamera lens so she MUST be talented!" station, but I was bored to tears and missed it.

However, i'm sure it's not as much fun as the train that...ah, nevermind...sometimes it's just too easy...like Pa.....okay, i'm going to stop.
Old 02-07-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keane was just about the only thing worth watching on this one.
Old 02-07-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
every one I've ever seen is like that all the time
even hilton's was shaking
That reminds me of an old cartoon. They show a little Mexican hairless dog shivering. The voiceover said something like, "Don't worry about this little dog, he's not cold, he's just very nervous.", and the dog replied, "I don't know about you, senor, but I'm freezing!"
Old 02-07-05, 08:36 AM

I'm on the Keenan Thompson (sp?) train. He impresses me week after week.

--I still laugh when I think of the "Good Times" sketch from last season. "Damn, damn, damn!"

--His gospel singer with one line on the Paul Giamatti episode was great "No, not too well"

--His Mrs. McNabb was damn funny too. "Boy, they gonna beat you like Payton Manning. And you ain't no Payton Manning" "I like my son, but I loves my money"

I think he should be encouraged to do more characters. He clearly has a great time in every sketch. I hope he's used more like he was this past week.
Old 02-07-05, 08:42 AM
Banned

Supposedly Joey Buttafuoco was supposed tomake a cameo on SNL last week.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/39473.htm
Old 02-07-05, 04:23 PM

Speaking of hate trains, I'm not sure the Tina Fey one is deserved. I guess there's the whole thing about the general being responsible for the troops, but as far as her actual writing...the only thing we know for sure that she writes is probably her weekend update jokes, and those are often the funniest part of the show. Having watched the reruns on E! a lot lately, there's definitely a style and quality difference between Tina's joke's and Jimmy's (and now Amy's) jokes.

Larry David was a writer for a whole season and got all of one skit actually on air. Tina Fey obviously has more influence then he did, but the ultimate decision as to what gets on the show or not is up to Lorne and the host. So I'm not sure if getting rid of Tina Fey would change much at all, and there's a good chance it could get worse.
Old 02-07-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 194 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BabiG
Speaking of hate trains, I'm not sure the Tina Fey one is deserved. I guess there's the whole thing about the general being responsible for the troops, but as far as her actual writing...the only thing we know for sure that she writes is probably her weekend update jokes, and those are often the funniest part of the show. Having watched the reruns on E! a lot lately, there's definitely a style and quality difference between Tina's joke's and Jimmy's (and now Amy's) jokes.
Those on the Tina Fey needs to go train (yours truly included) would certainly disagree with WU being the funnniest part of the show. In fact, since Norm MacDonald left it is the most reliably UNfunny part of the show (discounting some of the skits within update). It (and usually the musical guest) is the one part of the show I never feel bad about dozing off during. WU has become filler at best, except for the occasional Armisen or Hammond bit, which I am sure Fey has nothing to do with writing. Maybe her delivery has something to do with it. Bottom line: She just ain't funny.
Old 02-08-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
norm was kind of pathetic though on WU. far too often he had to laugh at his own jokes or explain the punchline to get the audience to laugh
Old 02-08-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get me started on Norm McDonald. That's a much deserved hate train ready to leave the station.

Tina Fey does a very good job on update. She and Fallon were very good team. I didn't care for Amy Poehler at first but she's growing into the position.

Last edited by big whoppa; 02-08-05 at 01:16 AM.