Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol: auditions + now hollywood

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-03-05, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is a thread on american idol. Unlike the past few years, there has been almost no posts what so ever, I'd guess it's because the main topic for this show this year has been: That's weird...was American Idol on tonight...?

So if this thread will go through, I'd like to start up a new official one, because I *know* there would be many more responses if the topic wasn't so misleading. Like big brother and other shows, this probably won't have a ?/?? date thread with responses, but just one main one.

Now that auditions are over 193 people have advanced. We had maybe 35 or so that we've seen over the weeks advance on television. I have a few favorites from who's advanced with one girl who i'm rooting for. If u have it on tivo/computer roll back to New Orleans, David Brown the black guy with dreads who Randy said he was the best he's ever seen at the auditions is one to keep an eye out for. But I think by far the best on all the shows was from New Orleans too, 19 year old Lindsay Cardinale who sang "standing right next to me".

Anyways my top 3 favorite moments of the auditions where:
1. Leroy Wells: he'd would have been on Kimmel or Connan after the show but i guess he couldn't dig it. (dig out of jail that is)
2. The rapper from the last show. He was great, the best rapper ever in american idol. And good for him to say Brandy was eye candy cause she was looking amazing.
3. The goth chick who sang phantom of the opera. She is amazing and had one hell of a look and voice. But she probably won't last that long.

Last edited by xx2000xx; 02-03-05 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by xx2000xx

Anyways my top 3 favorite moments of the auditions where:
1. Leroy Wells: he'd would have been on Kimmel or Connan after the show but i guess he couldn't dig it. (dig out of jail that is)
2. The rapper from the last show. He was great, the best rapper ever in american idol. And good for him to say Brandy was eye candy cause she was looking amazing.
3. The goth chick who sang phantom of the opera. She is amazing and had one hell of a look and voice. But she probably won't last that long.
I thought the white rapper looked familar:
Isn't he this actor guy (with glasses)
[URL=http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/chris_wylde[/URL]

I remember he was in some movies and he was the host of some game show.

Last edited by chowderhead; 02-03-05 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-03-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the white rapper has had other TV exposure.
Old 02-03-05, 10:41 PM

Out of the guest judges I saw, I really liked Gene Simmons alot.

There's one thing this part of the show was missing that would probably have made me watch more... the gong!
Old 02-04-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Two eps. a week, inundated with bad auditions, AI cameras 'mysteriously' appearing AT HOME with some contestants, pre-hollywood elimination biographys, it seems that for a real AI fan you SHOULDNT watch until the first episode that the viewers can vote. Which is odd because thats the EXACT OPPOSITE of the casual viewer.
Old 02-04-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because I *know* there would be many more responses if the topic wasn't so misleading.
I disagree. aslong as it has the title of the show on the thread name, then you can call it "24: Mole mole mole moley mole mole" and people will still post if the show was interesting enough. It's the generic laughable auditions right now. not much serious discussion can be had right now.
Old 02-04-05, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I thought the white rapper looked familar:
Isn't he this actor guy (with glasses)
Yep.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1..._10_0_,00.html
Old 02-04-05, 10:38 AM

I thought the big guy who's "voice had to be heard to be believed" was amazing, I'm rooting for him but he'll probably get knocked out in Hollywood. When the nanny/rapper came on I thought "Gee, he looks familiar, I wonder where I've seen him before." The next day I read on another forum that he was definitely the guy who was on Trading Spaces and then the game show Taboo and also Comedy Central's Strip Mall. he also did commercials for Digiorno pizza.
Old 02-04-05, 10:41 AM

The goth/Rainbow Brite girl stood out to me. She has an amazing voice. With ease, she was able to hit notes that I've never heard from any other Idol hopeful. I hope that she can adapt to the various genres of the competition. If she gets far enough, I just wonder if the voters will be turned off by her unusual appearance.
Old 02-04-05, 10:49 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
The Hollywood portion of the show is my favorite part. Sadly, it's also the part that gets the least amount of air time.

I'm always amazed by how many people get this far and then screw it up. They got some praise at the earlier audition, and seem to be under the impression that they are a "lock" for the top 30, and they complete blow off this portion of the audition. This almost always leads to elimination, and suddenly they're shocked.

Also, a lot of folks have a huge ego trip at this point. 193 out of how many thousand? Pretty good, but now's not the time to start copping an attitude. You have a one in six chance of making it to the next round, and the judges still have your fate in their hands. It's hilarious to see some of the breakdowns when these folks get eliminated.

I've always thought that if you get to the Hollywood audition, if you completely focus and practice it wouldn't be that hard to get to the top 30...even if you weren't necessarily one of the most talented people.
Old 02-04-05, 01:12 PM

Location: The Fair City of Detroit, ok, The Fair Suburbs of Detroit
I was watching Entertainment Tonight a couple weeks ago and Paula was on there. She said that they are changing the Hollywood portion of the show. They are only taking 24 people this time and it will be 12 guys and 12 girls.
Old 02-04-05, 01:22 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by JEStinson3
They are only taking 24 people this time and it will be 12 guys and 12 girls.
I can't say I agree with this. It should be about the BEST performers. Period. No gender quotas! I'd hate to see talented people passed up because they weren't the right sex.

So, I'm guessing that instead of 4 groups of 8 plus Wildcard, we'll have 3 groups of 8 plus Wildcard? A final 8 instead of a final 12?

It could be that the judges are trying to get more control as to who makes it to the final group.
Old 02-04-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read that at each location, they only screen about 1500 contestants, so that's about 9,000 contestants in 6 locations.
Old 02-04-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 796 Likes on 587 Posts
Originally Posted by xx2000xx
She's the only singer I saw during the auditions who stood out for me at all. Put it this way... if I was putting a band together, she'd at the top of the short list.

She sort of reminded of Tarja Turunen of the European metal band Nightwish, who have also done "Phantom of the Opera." (It's on their "Century Child" album if anyone is interested.)

It just gets so boring watching all of these people belt out drippy modern r and b numbers or tired old Whitney Houston songs. You can hear that shit any time. And Whitney Houston is about as dull as picking mouse bones out of owlshit.
Old 02-04-05, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And Whitney Houston is about as dull as picking mouse bones out of owlshit.

Wow! That's quite a vivid mental picture.
Old 02-05-05, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the white rapper looked entirely familiar. A comedian. Now, I remember he was an actor on Comedy Central show, Strip Mall starring Julie Brown.