Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

CONFIRMED: Star Trek: Enterprise cancelled.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CONFIRMED: Star Trek: Enterprise cancelled.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
won't do any good but I sent this using the feedback form on the contact link on upn.com
I recently heard that Enterprise is being canceled. The show finally starts living up to the promises made before the pilot even aired and now it gets canned. Fire Berman and Braga as they ran Trek into the ground, but please change the decision to cancel this show. It's the only show worth watching on your network.
Old 02-02-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Paramount went to the well way too many times, milking the Star Trek franchise way past it being dry. I just couldn't get into "Enterprise" at all. I tried watching it in the beginning, but it never caught my interest, nor did it even feel anything like a Trek series. It didn't feel...well, "retro" enough, like it took place before TOS. It felt too modern/futuristic. (Yeah, I know that was the point of something that takes place in the future, but it felt nothing like a prequel.) There were too many things that they didn't want to let go of, so they had to bring in things like the early forms of holodeck technology. Or bringing in Brent Spiner to play an ancestor of Noonian Soong. Alien conflicts, technological malfunctions, and stories with social metaphors (which TOS did the best), are beyond interesting anymore.

I even tried watching it again recently when the supposed improvements took place, and I still got restless watching it.
Old 02-02-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Spyder
Hey I'm curious what is the history between Ron Moore and B&B did they part on bad terms? And I have to agree the cancellation of this show was along time in coming.
Here's a great page about Ron & Star Trek. It's long, but worth it. Near the end he sums up what most fans have intuitively felt about the franchise ever since DS9.

http://hypatia.slashcity.org/trekshack/moore.html

The franchise needs a nice, long rest. Let UPN change presidents a few times. Let B&B drift to other shows, other franchises.

The sad truth is that *no Trek* produced by B&B or shown on today's UPN can *ever* be great Trek. Let's pray that *someoone" knows better than to try again.

Last edited by adamblast; 02-02-05 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 04:42 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappointing to read and hear about, but not unexpected to say the least. Ah well.:\
Old 02-02-05, 04:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maxpower
yeah..it's that simple.

One option i've read is going into first run syndication. I don't know what UPN expects...this show is their highest rated drama.
I don't see why not, why keep funding a show that isn't working?
Old 02-02-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JLB
They'll proably never pay for it, but somehow, UPN has got to get Shatner in there for the finale. Better yet, have some freaky, multi-time continuum thing (a-la the TNG finale) and have Shatner, Picard, Janeway all there.....
Cool, they could call it The Five Doctors... ah, err, Captains. Aw heck, it's already been done.
Old 02-02-05, 05:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what UPN expects...this show is their highest rated drama.
I've read several places that UPN is really trying to push themselves as a female-friendly network now. Enterprise and Smackdown stuck out like sore thumbs, and now one is gone and the other likely won't be on UPN after next season.
Old 02-02-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sucks. I know most people did not like this show, but I did. The first two seasons really weren't that great, but season 3 improved, it just drug the storyline out too far. Season 4 has been the best yet except for one episode.

I do agree that they should let this franchise rest for a few years.
Old 02-02-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I've read several places that UPN is really trying to push themselves as a female-friendly network now. Enterprise and Smackdown stuck out like sore thumbs, and now one is gone and the other likely won't be on UPN after next season.
Ehhh, UPN has been trying to "redesign" itself every damn year since it began. That's part of the problem. It expects all its shows to follow its direction, and it changes directions like the wind.
Old 02-02-05, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
I don't see why not, why keep funding a show that isn't working?
Because it is not failing on cbs,nbc or abc ..it is failing on UPN ..it is one of their higher rated shows. By that logic they should scuttle the whole network.
But if they are indeed moving in a new direction and their highest rated drama doesn't fit into their new plans that is understandable. It appears Paramount does not have plans to syndicate the show.
As many have stated if not for Enterprise I would not even watch UPN. Job well done, UPN...once less channel for me to keep track of.
Old 02-02-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
odd about the female friendly comment. a lot of the posters on the ST news groups are women
Old 02-02-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if it wasn't for Trek (voyager to be specific) there'd be no UPN network to begin with(Voyager was originally syndicated like TNG and DS9 but they used it as the anchor to create UPN), and yet they treat the franchise like shit
harsh language:
Spoiler:
FUCK YOU UPN AND BERMAN AND BRAGA CAN GO FUCK OFF AND DIE

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-02-05 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm OK with the cancellation. At least Enterprise will go out on a creative peak since the last season has also been its best.
Old 02-02-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate to see this happen. It was better than Voyager. Hopefully this will lead the way to something better.

Ah, shit. I just remembered when Voyager was on by itself. I started reading Star Trek books again. Is this what it has to come to?
Old 02-02-05, 05:57 PM

This is very BAD for SciFi on TV in general..

for years, 'Trek' has been what 'The Suits" consider the gold standard. A built in fan base. Loyal viewers..

Enterprise being cancelled may well bring the stigma of 'if Trek can't make it, why take a chance on anything else.....'

no... this is bad, very bad.
Old 02-02-05, 05:59 PM

It appears Paramount does not have plans to syndicate the show.
from the press release..

"In January, Paramount Domestic Television sold the rebroadcasts of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE into off-network syndication in over 90% of the country, including 49 of the 50 top markets, and is set for debut in Fall 2005."

I would not say the syndication option is dead yet... if they get enough response from the 4 season of syndication, they could produce a 5th 'tdy up' season for syndication....
Old 02-02-05, 06:21 PM

I tried and tried to like Enterprise but it just bored me to death every time, even the most recent episodes. Great show's like Wonderfalls get all of 4 episodes, Enterprise get's almost 4 years (And It Sucks!), before they cancel it.

Got to go watch Wonderfalls on DVD now!!

Last edited by Sewso; 02-02-05 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
No plans for syndication but if the DVD sells well then you'll have a better chance of seeing a "finale movie" like Farscape: Peacekeeper Wars.

Maybe they've got it into their heads now that the fans just won't accept any "Trek", it has to be good. I don't care how good this season was, I abandoned it 2yrs ago and there's no way I was going back to it now.

Trek is Paramount's cash-cow, and they won't keep it off the air for long.
Old 02-02-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adamblast
Here's a great page about Ron & Star Trek. It's long, but worth it. Near the end he sums up what most fans have intuitively felt about the franchise ever since DS9.
I can understand EXACTLY where he is coming from regarding Voyager. That's the one thing that really got me excited about it. Great premise. And then it just went back to substandard "Star Trek".

(from his comments)

It was all very technical, and they were talking about the fact that in the premise this ship was going to have problems. It wasn’t going to have unlimited sources of energy. It wasn’t going to have all the doodads of the Enterprise. It was going to be rougher, fending for themselves more, having to trade to get supplies that they want. That didn’t happen. It doesn’t happen at all, and it’s a lie to the audience. I think the audience intuitively knows when something is true and something is not true. VOYAGER is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spick-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bullshitting the audience I think takes its toll. At some point the audience stops taking it seriously
There was one double-episode where they crash landed on a planet. A survivable, breathable planet. At the end of the first episode some of them had resigned themselves to the fact that they might never get off. At the end of the double (or possibly triple) episode, they found a way off.

My thought was: why didn't they take the opportunity to make it last a season? There was so much potential in those couple of episodes that they just pissed away down the toilet.

Enterprise was OK, but after Voyager, my expectations were already low. Enterprise (IMO) also suffered from them seeming to want to play it safe and "stick to the recipe". Surely it's possible to have something set in the Trek universe that isn't as formulaic as the most recent incarnations.
Old 02-02-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sucks. The show was pretty good this season.
Old 02-02-05, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Maybe they will keep Veronica Mars on for a second season then?
Old 02-02-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Londo
This is very BAD for SciFi on TV in general..

for years, 'Trek' has been what 'The Suits" consider the gold standard. A built in fan base. Loyal viewers..

Enterprise being cancelled may well bring the stigma of 'if Trek can't make it, why take a chance on anything else.....'

no... this is bad, very bad.
Nonsense. Where do you get this from? Anyone with half a brain (well, maybe TV execs are outside this category) knows that Star Trek has been an ailing franchise for almost ten years now. If anything the audiences for these types of shows--Galactica being the latest example--are probably increasing.
Old 02-02-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Maybe they will keep Veronica Mars on for a second season then?
From what I've read, it's very likely.
Old 02-02-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sad
Old 02-02-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
Well, I thought this series was weak and wasn't near what it could've been, just like Voyager. But this season did beat my expectations. B&B really did the whole Trek Universe a disservice. I'll miss not having "something Trek" to kick around anymore

oh.. I still got all them DVDs I can rewatch!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.