Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why is _______ still on the air?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a remote. More crap for more quality is a very good trade-off. You don't have to watch the crap, but you can always take advantage of the additional quality.

das
Old 01-24-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Either you don't watch much TV, or you have a selectively nostalgic memory. While there has been some serious frustration in recent years, I think you'd find it incredibly difficult to build an argument against the last 15 years having some of the most creative and inventive and brilliant shows in the history of television. There are more channels and fewer repeats, which translates to more crap than ever before, but if you filter out that crap, I think you'll find more quality than any other era.

das
Agreed if you add HBO the last 15 years have been amazing. The Shield, The Wire ect ect ect.
Old 01-24-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Either you don't watch much TV, or you have a selectively nostalgic memory. While there has been some serious frustration in recent years, I think you'd find it incredibly difficult to build an argument against the last 15 years having some of the most creative and inventive and brilliant shows in the history of television. There are more channels and fewer repeats, which translates to more crap than ever before, but if you filter out that crap, I think you'll find more quality than any other era.

das
I humbly disagree. I think there have been a lot of good shows over the past 15 years. My point is though, that there are more crappy shows per good shows than before the mentioned 15 years. Also a lot of the writting is no more than a rehash of much erlier shows, that a lot of the younger audiences would usually not catch.
Old 01-24-05, 03:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Agreed if you add HBO the last 15 years have been amazing. The Shield, The Wire ect ect ect.
The Shield is actually on FX, who has put out it's own crop of really good shows in the last few years.
Old 01-24-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Because _________ has an audience.

You are not smarter than the audience for ___________ because you do not watch, just as they are not smarter than you for not liking something you watch.

Why do some people fail to realize this?
Old 01-24-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and I don't watch as much tv as I used to. Getting a life will do that.
Old 01-24-05, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
1.) America's Funniest Home Videos
Obviously, you've underestimated the worldwide appeal of seeing someone get hit in the groin with a soccer ball.

...and a football.

...and a baseball bat.

...and a model airplane.

...and a frisbee.

...and a...a...where was I going with htis again? Oh, yeah. Good point.

For me, such shows are usually running in the background while I'm doing other things around the house, I guess. They're not the kind of shows that I plan my schedule around (unlike Scrubs, Arrested Development, CSI, 24, and Lost).

Last edited by davejt1; 01-24-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 03:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
You are not smarter than the audience for ___________ because you do not watch, just as they are not smarter than you for not liking something you watch.
Groucho claps excitedly for Charlie Goose!

Well said, sir

Also, it should be mentioned that watching less television than somebody else doesn't mean you have more of "a life" than that person.
Old 01-24-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, it should be mentioned that watching less television than somebody else doesn't mean you have more of "a life" than that person.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstand. I have more of a life; married, kids, more responsibility at work, a house to keep up etc. These things has cut my tv viewing down drastically. My comment was not intended as a negative remark to anyone.
Old 01-24-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
No more "insightful" than your remark.
Mine was a lot more insightful, I explained why I felt that way. Rather than get pissy b/c I don't like something you do, you could explain why you think all scripted television "sucks".
Old 01-24-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 152 Posts
American Idol - just plain terrible and you would think people would stop watching by now since none of the so called idols have become famous and no, their 15 minutes does not make them stars.
Old 01-24-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts

Charlie Goose = Bob Saget?

Old 01-24-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Because _________ has an audience.

Especially in light of some of the sweeping comments about entire genres of shows like
Originally Posted by Sessa17
It's easy, but I have to say ALL reality TV....
I hate sitcoms...
I can understand not liking some shows, but entire genres, especially in light of their obvious popularity? The OP's question is "Why is _____ still on the air?", and it's an easy answer: because they're popular. Like Goose said, doesn't make anyone here better or worse because they do or don't like those shows.
Old 01-24-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Ironically, I was thinking about starting a topic like this just this morning, when on the radio I heard:

"You've watched Lucy Camden grow up and get married. Now she's having a baby (in an elevator, as the promo continues)."

Why in the world is 7th Heaven still on, and who watches it?

If not for it's rich history, I'd say who still watches Saturday Night Live except for the people who like the guest host or the people who watch in hopes that it will be even a little bit funny.

Of course, I'm married to a woman that likes both America's Funniest Home Videos and most reality TV (I admit, I actually like a bit of reality tv too...)
Old 01-24-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Especially in light of some of the sweeping comments about entire genres of shows like
I can understand not liking some shows, but entire genres, especially in light of their obvious popularity? The OP's question is "Why is _____ still on the air?", and it's an easy answer: because they're popular. Like Goose said, doesn't make anyone here better or worse because they do or don't like those shows.
I never said anywhere that one person is better than the other b/c of what they watch. I don't find it telling, that it's always the people that watch reality TV that get upset.

I know reality TV is still on the air b/c it's popular, but I don't understand why it's so popular, so that is why I said "all".
Old 01-24-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
If not for it's rich history, I'd say who still watches Saturday Night Live except for the people who like the guest host or the people who watch in hopes that it will be even a little bit funny.
I turned this on the other night for the first time in probably a year and a half. Watched about 20 minutes before I couldn't take anymore. Dreadful. Weekend Update is and always will be the strongest part of the show for me, unless Colin Quinn is the anchor, and I did enjoy it the other night.
Old 01-24-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Charmed.

WB: "Let's screw Angel but we'll leave this crap on the air."
Old 01-24-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
There's really nothing I could add to this list.

Just pretend I mentioned some of the shows followed with my usual witty, sarcastic and humorous commentary.
Old 01-24-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,430 Likes on 974 Posts
Originally Posted by raven56706
Malcolm in the Middle
WTF?

This is one of the most consistently funny shows on tv.
Old 01-24-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Especially when they're Hal-centric..
Old 01-24-05, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

1.) America's Funniest Home Videos on. WTF? Who watches this crap? I'll tell you who, only people that actually submit videos to try and win. Why? B/c no one else in their right mind would waste brain cells on this mind numbing crap. Do they pay the audience to be there? It boggles the mind.

Well hell, thanks for pointing it out in your opion that I am a loser. I have been watching AFV since it started. I think it is a good family show that lets us all laugh for an hour on Sunday night. Is there anything wrong with that? Besides it's better than all the other crap in the 6pmCST time slot. BTW I have never sent in a video.
Old 01-24-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the "Big Joe Polka Show".

To quote Ms Kerrigan, "Why? Why? Why?"
Old 01-24-05, 05:45 PM

Two words..."Yes Dear"
Old 01-24-05, 06:07 PM

Received 898 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
Charmed.
That's what I was going to say...

... that and the WWE.
Old 01-24-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The OC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.