Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost on ABC HD (Directv) Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost on ABC HD (Directv) Problems?

I'm currently watching Lost on ABC. But I can't watch in on ABC HD because the sound is way off and the picture is kind of jittery. Can anyone else verify this? Or is it just me??? Thanks.
Old 01-19-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get ABC HD from TimeWarner and tonight was a clean run. Must be DirectTV.
Old 01-19-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

are you watching it with an antennae?
Old 01-19-05, 09:57 PM

I get it OTA in Dallas/Fort Worth and I didn't have any problems.
Old 01-19-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was having audio problems too. But on SD with my tivo. I get kind of a rattle noise on very loud peaks in the audio. Only happens on ABC, so I doubt its my tivo. I'm going to try and remember to watch next week through regular cable just to make sure.
Old 01-19-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I have strange audio problems during Lost as well. It's happened every week that I can remember watching and it doesn't seem to happen on any of my other HD channels - just ABC.

Mostly it's just a case of the sound completely dropping out then coming back on two or three seconds later. It may stay on for another five seconds or so, then it does the same thing. It does this about once every 30 minutes or so, but the sound always returns after one of these fits.....at least for another half hour until it farts out again.

I think it's my cable box that's causing the problem, though.
Old 01-19-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ylomnstr
I'm currently watching Lost on ABC. But I can't watch in on ABC HD because the sound is way off and the picture is kind of jittery. Can anyone else verify this? Or is it just me??? Thanks.
ABC HD does the same thing on my TV(I have Time Warner Cable). Fox HD occasionally does this as well. I guess it could be my cable box or HD tuner, but what I don't get is why every other HD station looks and sounds fine.
Old 01-20-05, 08:18 AM

It's not over the air. I get the local HD channels in the 80 range. This is why I'm considering going to cable. Not to mention that in the summer, when the trees are full of leaves, it blocks some of the HD channels, and I can't do much about it because it's a neighboors tree!
Old 01-20-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed some jitters on ABC-HD East (Ch. 86) on D* last night. It was somewhat annoying. I didn't noticed audio issues though. This was on an HD-Tivo.
Old 01-20-05, 11:33 AM
Cool New Member

Do you have the Samsung 360 receiver? This particular model is having trouble with 720P shows over satellite, the OTA works fine. Espn/Fox/and Abc are the channels effected. For some reason live events like football are fine, but commercials and movies are causing audio sync problems. There is a big discussion on it at avsforum, and some people are calling directv to exchange boxes.
Old 01-20-05, 11:51 AM

Yes I have the Samsung 360. My brother has it too, and he has the same issues. But I bought mine through Circuit City. It's been less than a year that I've had it. Should I contact Samsung? Do you have a link to that forum where they are discussing this? Thanks.
Old 01-20-05, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

Here is a link to the start of the thread, it is pretty long now:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=485536

Directv should still issue you a replacement box even regardless of where/when you purchased it. The repacement discussion is also in the thread. I am considering sending mine back, the only reason I haven't is I get Abc/Fox OTA. So the programs effected for me are Espn movies and scripted shows(although tilt looks interesting).
Old 01-20-05, 12:17 PM

So if they issue me a new box, it should solve this issue? That forum is 120 pages long! LOL. Time to start reading. Thanks though.
Old 01-20-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by ylomnstr
It's not over the air. I get the local HD channels in the 80 range. This is why I'm considering going to cable. Not to mention that in the summer, when the trees are full of leaves, it blocks some of the HD channels, and I can't do much about it because it's a neighboors tree!
Wait, wait, wait.

If its not OTA, then how do the trees block the HD channels and not regular DTV signals?

Oh...BTW..check out the length of the NYC OTA thread at AVSForums.
Old 01-20-05, 02:31 PM

I guess the trees are in the line of sight of the satellite. I was told by a tech that came out that there are like 3 satellites in space that broadcast to our dishes, and the one that does the HD is slightly blocked by the trees. Don't know if it's BS or not, but makes sense because when the leaves are there, the channels just show "searching for signal."