Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials for "The Simple Life: Interns" are pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Commercials for "The Simple Life: Interns" are pissing me off

First off, big reality TV hater here. The most pointless programming trend in the history of television...there isn't a single positive aspect in the whole genre.

That being said, I've learned to accept that it's part of the TV landscape (though it appears to be lessening a bit... ) And rarely do I see something on television that makes me so angry I want to do something about it. But "The Simple Life" is going too far.

The commercials I've seen for the new "Interns" season are un-fucking-believable. For those that haven't seen it, there is apparently an episode that revolves around these two bitches working in a funeral home. Did you read that? A FUNERAL HOME. The promotion shows them spilling cremated remains on the floor and attempting to scrape them back into an urn, dropping coffins and basically fucking around with PEOPLE'S DEAD RELATIVES.

Who in their right mind would greenlight such a tasteless scenario for a reality show?

My grandfather recently passed away and it was hard enough dealing with all the emotions that accompany a funeral. I would have sued everyone in sight if that kind of shit had gone on with my family. It's not right and it shouldn't be encouraged.

I'll be voicing my displeasure to Fox (not that it will do any good...they'll probably cancel Arrested Development just to spite me) but I encourage everyone to do the same.

I can't believe we've sunk this low...

Last edited by Draven; 01-19-05 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-19-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Three words.

Who's. Your. Daddy?

What I can't understand is how these idiots are "celebrities"..
Old 01-19-05, 12:21 AM
Suspended

You still think this reality stuff is real? 90% of it is staged. Calm down, that wasn't real ramains.
Old 01-19-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Three words.

Who's. Your. Daddy?

What I can't understand is how these idiots are "celebrities"..
It's a shame the Symbionese Liberation Army is kaput. They might have kidnapped Paris Hilton.
Old 01-19-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Good thing you have the ability to change the channel.
Old 01-19-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Good thing you have the ability to change the channel.
I'm a big proponent of changing the channel.

Are you saying even though it bothers me that they are using dead people for entertainment value that I shouldn't say/do anything about it?
Old 01-19-05, 08:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
First off, big reality TV hater here. The most pointless programming trend in the history of television...there isn't a single positive aspect in the whole genre.
Please don't paint all "reality" television with the same brush. It's like saying that because "According to Jim" is crap that "Arrested Development" must be crap too since they're both sitcoms.
Old 01-19-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you saying even though it bothers me that they are using [BLANK] for entertainment value that I shouldn't say/do anything about it?
possible substitutes for [BLANK]:

dead people
the naked body
animated naked bodies
drug use
violence

Leave it up to the PTC to complain about everything that is questionably immoral or improper on television. Personally, I find it only detrimental to complain about things seen on TV if you have a problem with them. Change the damn channel - hell, if you are really upset, stop watching the shows on the network. Complaining only leads to stricter regulations that will affect shows that you like.

I would rather have to flip past 100 channels showing subjects that I find personally immoral or improper than have television programs be so strictly regulated that there isn't anything but absolute shit to watch.
Old 01-19-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the spot worked. YOU are talking about it. No doubt countless others will read this thread who haven't seen any of the spots and FOX gets free advertising for it. Dude, face it - middle America red states eat this crap up with a steamshovel. It goes right along WalMart and re-electing the Monkey Man for another four years.

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-19-05 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-19-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh please man... the Simple Life is highly staged. On the first season they didn't even really sleep in the same house as the family they were suppose to be living with.

How could one not love the episode when they worked at Sonic Burger in season one? Hilarious!

In anycase, Nicole Richie is looking very hot this season from the promo pictures. I'll be watching
Old 01-19-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paris is looking hot as well..... seems as though she is eating more..... those legs are getting meatier.....
Old 01-19-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

That being said, I've learned to accept that it's part of the TV landscape (though it appears to be lessening a bit... ) And rarely do I see something on television that makes me so angry I want to do something about it. But "The Simple Life" is going too far.

The commercials I've seen for the new "Interns" season are un-fucking-believable. For those that haven't seen it, there is apparently an episode that revolves around these two bitches working in a funeral home. Did you read that? A FUNERAL HOME. The promotion shows them spilling cremated remains on the floor and attempting to scrape them back into an urn, dropping coffins and basically fucking around with PEOPLE'S DEAD RELATIVES.

Who in their right mind would greenlight such a tasteless scenario for a reality show?

My grandfather recently passed away and it was hard enough dealing with all the emotions that accompany a funeral. I would have sued everyone in sight if that kind of shit had gone on with my family. It's not right and it shouldn't be encouraged.

I'll be voicing my displeasure to Fox (not that it will do any good...they'll probably cancel Arrested Development just to spite me) but I encourage everyone to do the same.

I have not seen the spots but I cannot imagine it was real. I imagine they staged it or it was an reenactment of something they may have done.
Were you just as offended when Desperate Housewives did a similar thing recently?
Old 01-19-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
I have not seen the spots but I cannot imagine it was real. I imagine they staged it or it was an reenactment of something they may have done.
Were you just as offended when Desperate Housewives did a similar thing recently?
Or for those who have seen "Meet the Parents" a similar situation was hysterical...but of course staged for the movie.
Old 01-19-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Please don't paint all "reality" television with the same brush. It's like saying that because "According to Jim" is crap that "Arrested Development" must be crap too since they're both sitcoms.
"Reality" television I've seen more than one episode of:

Survivor
Fear Factor
The Amazing Race
American Idol
The Real World
The Apprentice
Cops

...and bits and pieces of other shows here and there. Not a single one had any redeeming element to it. Most I watched under duress since others wanted to see them.

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well the spot worked. YOU are talking about it. No doubt countless others will read this thread who haven't seen any of the spots and FOX gets free advertising for it.
Maybe others will check it out now but I definitely won't be watching it myself. So it didn't work on me.

Originally Posted by Morf
possible substitutes for [BLANK]:

the naked body
animated naked bodies
drug use
violence
1. Don't have a problem with that
2. Don't have a problem with that
3. Unless it's actual drug use, I don't have a problem with that
4. Unless it's actual violence against another person I don't have a problem with that.

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I didn't see it. Did Desperate Housewives use real human remains?
Old 01-19-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did Desperate Housewives use real human remains?
Did "The Simple Life"?
Old 01-19-05, 03:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's the "redeeming element" in Arrested Development? I mention that show because it's one you say you like in this thread.
Old 01-19-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
What's the "redeeming element" in Arrested Development? I mention that show because it's one you say you like in this thread.
yup. Premise. The son of a rich real estate mogul suspected of enron-like scandals tries to raise his son as a single parent while dealing with an eccentric cast of family members. Topics and plot points include: incest, adultry, prison escapes, discussions on breasts and breast shape, homosexual innuendo, etc, etc.
Old 01-19-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tastelessness is core of Reality TV. I remember when this all started. Road Rules use to be about bonding over challenges of physical or mental endurance while seeing a part of world. Suddenly it was staged fighting and eating blended up cow penis.
Old 01-19-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yes.. posting on some internet message board your extreme displeasure will show them! How about you just show your displeasure by not watching the show or supporting the advertises that buy ad space during the show? It's a more productive way to do it and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that a lot of the shit in the show is staged for "shock" value. From your complaining, I can tell that the shocking situations created were successful in striking some feelings. The moment they got you to care one way or another, reality tv has you hooked.

Showing human pain and misery is the point in reality tv. As well as showing people's success. People want to see a show where they are better then the people on screen or one that they can root for someone who they relate to. Why do you think Jerry Springer was so big. Because you can point and laugh at these people and make yourself feel better or you can root for that underdog in survivor and hope that they outplay, outlast, out wit the guy next to them. It's human interest stories that back these. You want to hate these rich bitches because guess what, we aren't rich ourselves. You want to see them in situations were they just fuck up anything they attempt to do that are remotely even normal or that the every day person could do with little ease. Meaning that even with all that cash and power that you still are better than them in some way.

Also add in that reality tv hits a nail into things you can and will never do. You will never eat a bowl of rats but god damn, you will want to watch some other freak do it simply because it's entertaining (or do we not care when some little azn dude eats 50 hot dogs beating the fatter guy?)

Is it sometimes tasteless? Hell yeah. It's suppose to be so that it can grab your attention. There is some reality shows that improve the living standards of those on it.

Extreme Make over House edition. It builds a less fortunate family a better home and in the process uses heavy product placement to fund it. We watch because deep inside we want to be that family. We also look at ways to improve ourselves. Dr. Phil, Oprah, and any other self help show allows us to feel like we are bettering ourselves.

The Amazing race. I can't believe you put this on your list. For fucks sake I tip my hat to this show. It's amazing how they can pull this show off. With filming the people go around the race and editing it to make it a coherent story this is simply a work of wonder and that doesn't speak for the show in itself that provides those playing a way to take challaneges and better themselves.

America's Most Wanted. There's a reason why this show has lasted this long. It has brought in many criminals and could very much be considered "reality tv"

I'm tired of people bitching over things they don't like on television. You have the option to change the channel. You do not need to support those sponsers that advertise the show. You may not like it, but others do. That is why American Idol is still a top rated show. That is why Simple Life is still being renewed for more seasons. You may not like it, but many others do. The voice of the majority is the key here and you seem to not get that simply because you may fall into the minority.

Television in general is tasteless. I don't think that television should teach you anything other than be a form of entertainment to you. If that entertainment comes from the pain and misery of others then more power to it. I will be entertained and amuesed till it stops being amusing. At which point the stations will realize that I do not care for that anymore and will change its format to meet the new demand of the majority.

Saying you hate reality tv in general is like saying you hate meat products. Sure some meat can taste like shit. But thank fuck'n god we have a choice to choose which cut of meat we can eat while turning down the other slabs of meat. Why must you sit there and chow down on the meat slab you dislike and continue to eat it for the sole reason to bitch about it?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 01-19-05 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-19-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mostly it's the intelligent writing. It's not the show itself, but rather the level of comedy/humor it brings to the "sitcom" world. It's like a great movie or play, it raises the bar.

Reality TV lowers the bar.

And Jack, while I appreciate your rant I have to point out that my main problem with these commercials is the *apparent* lack of respect towards someone's dead family member. I'm fine if they want to humiliate themselves on live TV. More power to em. But once you start affecting the people around you, who may or may not even want to participate, that's where I start having a problem.

I'm sure they took every legal precaution they could and even staged things for shock value...that doesn't mean I have to be okay with it.

How about you just show your displeasure by not watching the show or supporting the advertises that buy ad space during the show?
Don't worry, I won't be watching.

The bottom line is that yes I can change the channel and yes I don't have to watch these shows. I exercise all of these options whenever possible. But that doesn't mean I can't voice some displeasure when I see something I don't agree with on television...in the middle of a show I DO like. And I'll continue to do it, so I'd encourage you to exercise your right of not clicking on my reality TV threads
Old 01-19-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as a male viewer I don't want to see tampon ads while I watch tv. should I write a letter or should I just toss my tv out the window?
Old 01-19-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Extreme Make over House edition. It builds a less fortunate family a better home and in the process uses heavy product placement to fund it. We watch because deep inside we want to be that family. We also look at ways to improve ourselves. Dr. Phil, Oprah, and any other self help show allows us to feel like we are bettering ourselves.
I don't want to be that family.
Old 01-19-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
as a male viewer I don't want to see tampon ads while I watch tv. should I write a letter or should I just toss my tv out the window?
Is the tampon filled with the ashes of your dead relatives? And if it was, would you be okay with it?
Old 01-19-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
"Reality" television I've seen more than one episode of:
Fear Factor
American Idol
American Idol is not a reality show... it's a game show/talent contest. Fear Factor is also a game show, just the same as Wheel of Fortune.

A "reality show" shows it's stars "living life" (though in non-normal situations) as if the cameras weren't there. You do not see the American Idol kids or the Fear Factor contestants at home, living "normally," arguing about who's making dinner, as you do on Real World, Survisor, etc.
Old 01-19-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the tampon filled with the ashes of your dead relatives? And if it was, would you be okay with it?
not to start a bitchfest but I don't think the ashes were anyones dead relatives. I don't understand how you can even watch any tv if you are so sensitive to this. when my dog died and I saw dead dogs on tv I didn't want to complain and write letters to the networks because it reminded me of my dog. and yes, to me, my dog is a part of my family, more so than aunts/uncles/cousins/etc.

edited to remove a statement that could be taken in the wrong context.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 01-19-05 at 06:36 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.