Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Series Premiere Episode?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What's your favorite Series Premiere Episode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 02:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Best 1st episode of a series?

Originally Posted by boss429
The Wire!
I would never list that as a great first episode. It wasn't bad, but that show really took about six episodes to get going.
Old 04-24-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I would never list that as a great first episode. It wasn't bad, but that show really took about six episodes to get going.
I agree. I gave up after 2 the first time I tried to watch it. When I finally decided to put some time into it, I was completely hooked by episode 4 or 5.
Old 04-24-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I agree. I gave up after 2 the first time I tried to watch it. When I finally decided to put some time into it, I was completely hooked by episode 4 or 5.
Agree as well. The first episode of The Wire is really really boring. Very hard to get into it.
Old 04-24-14, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Agree as well. The first episode of The Wire is really really boring. Very hard to get into it.
The biggest problem is that anybody watching it now has likely been prepared with "It's the greatest show on the history of television!" and "You're gonna LOVE Omar!" So, when Omar doesn't appear, and you're not immediately blown away it's bound to be disappointing.
Old 04-24-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say Lost, hands down. Even if it were to air for the first time today I think it would be an impressively cinematic and incredibly captivating setup for the shows premise.

Breaking Bad also stands out in my memory - Walter White in whitey-tighties with a pistol, "police" sirens blaring. I mean who isn't going to watch the whole season after that?
Old 04-24-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Breaking Bad- I remember getting the first season on DVD and watching it and thinking it was different but was drawn in to wanting to keep watching.

Dexter- even though the series went to shit at the end, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. Really set the tone of what the series should have been it's entire run.

The Sopranos- I've always been into mob type films and the character of Tony Soprano was interesting to me right from the start.

True Detective- if this one counts it was awesome for sure. Great acting, setting, and an story that drew you in plus interesting characters.
Old 04-24-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Interesting to see so many people name Lost. I thought it was boring and a mess. It did nothing for me and I had to force myself to watch the next couple of episodes. Gave up completely on the series very soon after.
It's fine if you didn't like Lost, but you may also find it interesting that a lot of people kept watching.
Old 04-24-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This series has kind of been forgotten over time, but the pilot was excellent (in fact, the whole series is...highly recommend it):

I need to break out my dvds and finish going back through that series!
Old 04-25-14, 01:47 AM

Can't believe only 1 other person went Walking Dead, that, Sopranos, and Lost are my big 3.
Old 04-25-14, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pilot episode of Mission: Impossible is, in my opinion, the best of the entire series. It's the one I always recommend to people who are interested in the show. If you don't like that one, you won't like the rest.

The two-hour pilot episode of Ironside is some kind of minor masterpiece. Whether it's the "first episode" is up for debate. Most episode guides I see refer to the next episode as the first, even though the pilot was clearly setting up an ongoing series.

The Star Trek episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is one of the best in the entire series, but whether it's the first episode is debatable. "The Cage" was shot first, discarded, and later salvaged for a new(ish) episode. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the first pilot that actually aired... but it didn't air first. The first episode to air was "The Man Trap," which was something like #5 or #6 in production order. Long story short, I consider "Where No Man Has Gone Before" the "true" first episode of Star Trek, and I think it's awesome.

I've only seen the first season of 24, but the fact that it hooked me sufficiently to watch the remaining 23 episodes must count for something.
Old 04-25-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I've only seen the first season of 24, but the fact that it hooked me sufficiently to watch the remaining 23 episodes must count for something.
The pilot of '24' (and much of the first season) plays much more casually/slowly than later seasons were. And they were really dedicated to the whole 'real time' thing then, as opposed to latter seasons, when they kind of played fast and loose with it.
Old 04-25-14, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
True Detective- if this one counts it was awesome for sure. Great acting, setting, and an story that drew you in plus interesting characters.
I imagine this show would be the big winner if we ever do a "Best fourth episode" poll.
Old 04-25-14, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Can't believe only 1 other person went Walking Dead, that, Sopranos, and Lost are my big 3.
It's been mentioned three or four times in this thread.
Old 04-25-14, 04:48 PM

The Shield FTW
Old 04-25-14, 04:51 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Just remembered that Awake had a terrific first episode.
Old 04-25-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Nip/tuck was great.
Old 04-25-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Nip/tuck was great.
Nip/Tuck felt a little too derivative of The Shield if you ask me, coming so close on its heels. The Shield feels derivative of Oz to me, but there was a good amount of time between those two. They're all pretty good.

So, my list:

Arrested Development tops things for me. It's just perfect. It represents the whole show I think.

Oz

The Shield

Justified

Miracles (God is Now Here/Nowhere)

Profit

Nip/Tuck

Heroes

Prison Break

Desperate Housewives
Old 04-25-14, 05:24 PM

Lone Star
Old 04-25-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Desperate Housewives
I think this is the first positive mention of DH on this forum since 2009.

(Not calling you out--I watched the whole run and all the late seasons other than the reboot were painful.)
Old 04-25-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think this is the first positive mention of DH on this forum since 2009.

(Not calling you out--I watched the whole run and all the late seasons other than the reboot were painful.)
I didn't make it out of the second season, but the first episode was a good one. I give credit where it is due.
Old 04-25-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I didn't make it out of the second season, but the first episode was a good one. I give credit where it is due.
You're smarter than I was. Once I was in for a few seasons, I felt obligated to finish it out, and it just kept getting worse.
Old 04-25-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Starsky & Hutch.The first season was the best, until they toned the violence down.
Old 04-25-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Dawson's Creek is a great submission. That pilot was truly the best episode of the series.
Old 04-25-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of my favorites have been mentioned. I'll add Raising Hope. I was cracking up from start to finish that first episode.

Originally Posted by Quatermass
It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember Millennium had a good first episode.
Nice pick. Love that first season.
Old 04-26-14, 04:03 PM

The two that immediately come to mind have both been mentioned (The Walking Dead and Twin Peaks) and I agree that the first episode of The Walking Dead is much better than the rest of the series has been (and I even like the show!).

Some other shows that hooked me pretty quick:

Game of Thrones (in all fairness, I read the books years before the series and after about 15-20 minutes I could tell it was being done the right way)

True Detective

House of Cards (Kevin Spacey version... although the only specific thing I remember from the first episode is actually something I don't like)

Treme

Also, I'm of the belief that The Wire is the greatest series ever and I don't think the first episode is bad (not sure there are any episodes that I think are weak), but the very first one is maybe one of the worst 5-10 episodes of the entire series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.