Dead Like Me cancelled?

sounds like it, though nothing is official as yet:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0&pagenumber=1
Old 12-20-04, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Suck It
Old 12-20-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw that too and I was just coming here to post it.

If this is true I'm very upset as I think it's one of the most brilliant and original programs on TV.

I was worried near the end of last season as they kept saying "only four episodes left," "only three episodes left" etc. without saying "in the season" which made it sound like that might mean it was ending. Then they called the last show the "season finale" which implied there would be another season.

Well, there's the old petition gambit which rarely works:

http://www.petitiononline.com/dlm1218/petition.html

Last edited by movielib; 12-20-04 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-20-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I thought the second season was very subpar. I loved the first season, but if it was cancelled now I wouldn't be too upset. I actually found it tedious watching some of the S2 episodes.
Old 12-20-04, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Suck It
Hmm...the forum software doesn't let us post in all caps anymore?
Old 12-20-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
That does suck. DLM is on the top of my DVR list, and is pretty much the only reason I keep Showtime. I'm watching huff, but I don't care for it as much. Looks like my cable bill will be going down.
Old 12-20-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The word is that since Showtime doesn't own Dead Like Me they can make more money off a program they do own even if it has lower ratings (e.g. Huff?).

Dead Like Me had 797,000 viewers for its second season premier and Huff had 456,000 for its first show. But Huff was already renewed for a second season months before it premiered.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html

(I assume Huff is owned by Showtime because all it says at the beginning is "Showtime Presents." Dead Like Me, of course, has the MGM logo presented at the beginning.)
Old 12-20-04, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone can now come over and reap my Showtime subscription's soul.
Old 12-20-04, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Showtime sucks when it comes to original programming. They screwed over Odyssey 5, they screwed over Jeremiah, and now they've screwed over Dead Like Me. From now on, Showtime can bite me.
Old 12-20-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Showtime sucks when it comes to original programming. They screwed over Odyssey 5, they screwed over Jeremiah, they screwed over Going To California and now they've screwed over Dead Like Me. Showtime can bite me.
Fixed.

Last edited by Burnt Alive; 12-20-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that MGM is becomming part of the Warner Bros empire, perhaps a move to HBO is in order.

Probably a long shot, of course.
Old 12-20-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Personally, I thought the second season was very subpar. I loved the first season, but if it was cancelled now I wouldn't be too upset. I actually found it tedious watching some of the S2 episodes.
I thought the same thing. They seemed to be building up to something big during the first season, and then the second season did nothing with it. Overall, I felt the second season was a huge mess. The show had no idea what it wanted to be.
Old 12-21-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
looks official.... (the last paragraph in the article has a minor spoiler as well)

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|92514|1|,00.html
Old 12-21-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.deadlikemeonline.com/foru...pic.php?t=7031

This thread here has lots of Showtime's PR emails. I suggest emailing them. I have. Let them know how you feel.
Old 12-21-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow, it's possibly being replaced by yet ANOTHEr crime-investigation show.
How things change:
"This is an unqualified hit for us," says Robert Greenblatt, Showtime's president of entertainment. "This show portends great things for the future of Showtime, which we hope will become a home for truly original series."
"Dead Like Me" has substantially improved Showtime's ratings in the 10 p.m. Friday spot, typically scoring about 60 percent higher than previous inhabitants of the timeslot. (The network didn't release specific numbers.) The series also draws ratings about 45 percent higher than the network average for all of primetime.

Granted, that was from a year ago, but i get so sick of networks dropping shows at the first drop in ratings.
I'll be writing in.
Old 12-21-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sucks, Dead Like Me is such a good show. I guess I'll just pick up the second season on DVD when it comes out, and relive the glory.
Old 12-21-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bummer. Caught the first season on DVD and was looking forward to doing the same with Saeson 2.
Old 12-21-04, 05:37 PM

Really liked that show...that sucks that it was cancelled. Regarding the possible spoiler, I would not really count that as one. It was Holloween and that was the thing with holloween, it that reapers look familiar to people that knew them. Like when Daisy was in Der Waffle Hauz and an old man thought she looked like Daisy, of course thinking that it could not be her. It would be cool if HBO would pick this up, but with a show already dealing with death....I will not hold my breath.
Old 12-21-04, 06:06 PM

How many good shows can Showtime kill or try to kill? Forgot to add Stargate SG1 to the list of the ones they wouldn't let live, but at least SciFi picked that one up and look how good that does. Maybe we can beg them to pick DLM up too, it's sotra scifi-ish right? lol. I once again take full blame for this getting killed, all the shows I like get the axe, expect Lost to keep getting great ratings and them kill that off soon since I watch that one every week too.
Old 12-21-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sjrab16
Really liked that show...that sucks that it was cancelled. Regarding the possible spoiler, I would not really count that as one. It was Holloween and that was the thing with holloween, it that reapers look familiar to people that knew them. Like when Daisy was in Der Waffle Hauz and an old man thought she looked like Daisy, of course thinking that it could not be her. It would be cool if HBO would pick this up, but with a show already dealing with death....I will not hold my breath.
Actually that scene took place the next day.

But there's always been some ambiguity about Reggie still "feeling" George around her. Actually, looking back at the way the last episode ended, you kinda feel that they might have known the end was coming- The Rube storyline wrapped up, Reggie and Joy *almost* getting along.. oh well.

-jason
Old 12-21-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn. This the third show that I liked that Showtime cancelled.I'm really hating Showtime.

Odyssey 5
Street Time
Dead Like Me
Old 12-21-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What pisses me off about this cancellation is not the fact it was cancelled. It's the fact these assholes cancelled it to make room for more shows on their crappy Sunday night lineup. Hey morons, here's a crazy notion. The show became a hit on Friday nights. Screw your Sunday night lineup and put the show back where it flourished, not make room for something else where it floundered.

Dead Like Me was one of my favorites, even during the second season. What a loss. Jeremiah, Odyssey 5 and now Dead Like Me. Showtime is turning into pay-cables Fox.
Old 12-21-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bugger. At least season 2 did a reasonable wrap up. Felt like if they did cancel it, it would be reasonably complete.

Stil, we can hope that someone else will pickup a third season.
Old 12-23-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Over on the showtime site, there is a message posted that MGM is not killing the show. It appears that they are looking for another home for the show, since they understand how big the fan base is.

So, all is not lost, and we may very well see more of the gang in the future.
Old 12-23-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's hoping they can find a new home for the series.

I don't subscribe to any premium channels, so my only hope of seeing this is on DVD. Will the cancellation affect the release of season two?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.