TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 12/18/04 - H: Robert DeNiro; MG: Destiny's Child

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-04, 09:14 PM

Received 912 Likes on 603 Posts
SNL 12/18/04 - H: Robert DeNiro; MG: Destiny's Child

... can you handle this?

... can you handle this?

I don't think you can handle this! Woooooo!

<hr>
Season 30 (now with the "Charlie Goose 'Spartacus-Meter'" v. ):

SNL 10/02/04 - H: Ben Affleck; MG: Nelly

SNL 10/04/04 - Best of... Cheri Oteri

SNL 10/09/04 - H & MG: Queen Latifah

SNL 10/16/04 - Best of... Jimmy Fallon

SNL 10/23/04 - H: Jude Law; MG: Ashlee Simpson

SNL 10/30/04 - H: Kate Winslet; MG: Eminem

SNL 11/06/04 - Best of... Tom Hanks

SNL 11/13/04 - H: Liam Neeson; MG: Modest Mouse

SNL 11/20/04 - H: Luke Wilson; MG: U2

SNL 12/11/04 - H: Colin Farrell; MG: Scissor Sisters
Old 12-18-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting out with toilet humor word-play on Arabic names isn't a good sign.
Old 12-18-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
nooo, it isn't.
Old 12-18-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Mr. DeNiro apparently needed a little more than a week to commit at least some of his lines to memory. Thank for God for cue cards, huh, Bobby?
Old 12-18-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was just about to say the same thing. He doesn't know a single line and worse yet, he can't even read the damn cards. He's made so many errors in just three skits for a professional actor that it's embarassing.
Old 12-18-04, 10:53 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts
I'll admit the Pranksters skit got a laugh out of me, it wasn't close to as good as when they did it with Walken though.
Old 12-18-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Does Prince really do the whisper thing?

TV Funhouse... what was that? The writers are still really pissed about the election?
Old 12-18-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SNL is a horrible mess, sort of like getting drunk at 2 am and wandering around a boggy swamp in the south in a b-monster "attack of the leeches!" movie from the 50s.
Old 12-18-04, 11:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

WU even sucked this week
Old 12-18-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The cat skit was just....sad. I'm surprised the cue cards for this show haven't been on camera, since they seem to be doing more work than DeNiro.

However, I must admit that I was amused by the opening, as well as the "Prince Snow" and "Pranksters".
Old 12-18-04, 11:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Holy crap! They made another Bear City skit
Old 12-18-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
What The Fuck Is Up With The Muppets?
Old 12-19-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The cat in De Niro's left hand looked a lot like one of my cats. It freaked me out a little because the cat looked like mine so much that I had to go find my cat to make sure he didn't escape into the TV...damn, I'm sorting to sound like a crazy cat lady...
Old 12-19-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not very good, I have to go for this one. Just like the first time he was on SNL, DeNiro was a poor host. He seems very uncomfortable in front of a live audience, and stumbled over his lines many times.

Pentagon press briefing
DeNiro as a general, listing names of terrorists. Juvenile, but funny, names like Apu Pibat, Rani Diyah Riyah (and his brother, Wadri), Harry P. Ness, and Jenna Tailia. If you think a name like Harry P. Ness is funny,, you’ll like this bit.

Monologue
No monologue, just DeNiro singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas with Kermit the Frog. Sweet, but not funny. They must have zero trust in DeNiro on his own.

Womba
Hilarious commercial parody of a robotic female hygiene product. Just like the vacuum cleaner that goes all over the room by itself, so does Womba on the noony.

Pranksters
Seth Myers as host of a wacky hidden camera prank show. DeNiro plays a joke on his neighbor, and then kills him with a chainsaw on camera. Not bad, but nothing great.

Wedding
DeNiro as a father at his daughter’s wedding, apparently the only person who doesn’t realize his son is gay. Only he’s not. The payoff gag at the end was good with his son giving an enormous ring for an enormous finger.
Spoiler:
You see, it was assumed it was a cock ring. You see?

The Prince Christmas Special
Prince is always funny. DeNiro as himself, but I expected a little more attitude. The Fat Albert Nitwit as Star Jones. “Vroom, vroom.”

TV Funhouse
Rankin/Bass spoof with Santa Claus skipping the “red states” this year, otherwise know as Dumbfuckistan. Margaret Cho, Moby, Al Franken, and Natalie Merchant along for the ride.

Trump commercial
Hammond as Trump filming a commercial for “The Apprentice” and Donald being his normal, controlling, obnoxious, douchey self.

Weekend Update
No great jokes during the news, but Rob Riggle was funny as Leviticus the propher, threatening damnation and hellfire. Dratch also appears as movie producer Abe Scheinwald. We’ve seen the character before, and it’s pretty good.

Undercover Fed
Sanz as a fed infiltrating the mob, but using idiotic movie mob-speak. It would’ve been funnier for me, but unfortunately here in Staten Island, people really do talk that way. Oh yeah, Sanz still bites it hard.

Christmas with the Cat Lady
DeNiro as a cat lady. That’s about it. No jokes were written. Seriously. No jokes at all. I did notice that he leaned over to pick one cat up and nearly crushed that cat that was already in his lap.

Bear City
Go away with this dumb shit. At least it was quick.

More muppets
Sanz sings one last carol with Kermit, Fozzie, Animal, and Gonzo. The audience gasped when the muppets came on like the freaking Pope just walked in.

In January, Jennifer Garner hosts. She was great the last time she hosted, so I’m looking forward to it.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 12-19-04 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-19-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been a DeNiro fan for many years and this was very embarassing. He needs to NEVER do this again.
Old 12-19-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,127 Likes on 2,120 Posts
Woomba was funny. The only thing on the show that actually worked as a unit.

It was painful watching Bobby read his lines off of cue cards in such an obvious manner and still fuck them up every two minutes. Jesus, I hope we was drunk or something.

The Wedding. I didn't get this... was the son gay or not? Because if he wasn't, it was just painfully unfunny. Lots of set-up with a lame-assed punchline.

"Dumbfuckistan" made me laugh, but the rest of that TV Funhouse just kind of meandered without much of a point or payoff. Were they trying to make fun of the "Red States" or "Hollywood Liberals?" Because it didn't work in either context. It jsut sort of ended, like they were afraid to actually say anything.

Bear City -- Someone needs to be beaten for thinking this is even remotely funny/witty/interesting.

Cat Lady -- Sucked hard. I was hoping that one of the cats would do something crazy.

The writing seriously sucked this week. It's the kind of lame shit that has reaching for the remote to look for Seinfeld re-runs.
Old 12-19-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Watching it on the West coast and the opening was okay if it hadn't gone on so long. Based on what I've read above, I'm pretty disappointed with others' comments. Still, it's great to see Deniro on live TV.

I enjoyed the Prankster bit.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-19-04 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-19-04, 02:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The Woomba and Pranksters skits were funny. Whoever though the cat sketch would be good should be fired immediately. Robert Deniro in a dress not automatically equal funny.
Old 12-19-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Always nice to see the Christmas song. Overall a pretty lackluster episode.
Old 12-19-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TV fun house was beyond funny and made this episode worth it.

"Trailer parks don't have chimneys"
Old 12-19-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Holy crap! They made another Bear City skit
yeah but the line of "...and they were quickly eaten" made me at least smile..

not really shocked about Deniro and the cue card issues etc.. Heck at the end tonight, he even stumbled over a cue card read while saying bye to everyone "Thanks to....." Same junk that happened last time he was on the show. He is worse then some of the athlete and other 100% non-actors they have had on in the past..

the reason it's sad is when those others are on you can sort of go "Well after all, that person is not an actor, not like it's Deniro up there" errrr then you rem the shows when he has been on and have to re-think that term.

Oh well, must be something about the format or just the show so he does not care or does not try or only works well with in a tight structure of a film.. No idea..
Old 12-19-04, 03:21 AM

I liked TV Funhouse, Dumbfuckistan had me rolling! It's so F'n true!

I also liked Bear City. The pay off was classic.

And the muppets with Sanz. Now that's just good TV. If you didn't like that, well I pity you.

Later
Old 12-19-04, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
The only good thing about the show were the Muppets, and you could actually see the puppeteers manueveering them in clear view during the curtain call...

I thought that kind of thing was taboo, kinda like showing the Wizard behind the curtain.
Old 12-19-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
TV fun house was beyond funny and made this episode worth it.

"Trailer parks don't have chimneys"
with the first part of your comment, with the second. One 3-5 minute comical short does not justify 85-87 minutes of suckekekekekeke. Shame on you for thinking that.

The "trailer park" line had me along with the aforementioned "Dumb****istan".

And like Charlie said, Jennifer's hosting the next new ep...so at least we know there'll be no OBVIOUS cue card reading.

By the way...no one was impressed by Destiny's Child? I thought it was great how Beyoncé was mugging for the camera. She's so talented. I heard it only took [on the average] 15 people to write her songs [down from the previous 30 of such classics as "Bills, Bills, Bills" and "Bootylicious"..]
Old 12-19-04, 08:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by duff beer
SNL is a horrible mess, sort of like getting drunk at 2 am and wandering around a boggy swamp in the south in a b-monster "attack of the leeches!" movie from the 50s.
You complain about SNL, yet write something Aint It Coolish like that?

I'll take SNL's writing, athankyouverymuch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.