Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So Fox TV Has Hit A New Low! :furious: ;)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So Fox TV Has Hit A New Low! :furious: ;)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron Howard: (Emotionally) And it grows, to a powerful, emotional climax when the father has to choose which one of his children will live ... and which one ... will die.

Brian Grazer: Pass.

Ron lets out a sigh

Brian Grazer: What else you got?

Ron Howard: Well, well, there is this one thing. It's about a killer robot driving instructor that travels back in time for some reason.

Brian Grazer: I'm listening.

Ron Howard: Okay, okay, well, you see ... this robot, he's got a heartbreaking decision to make about whether his best friend lives ... or dies.

Brian Grazer: Eh.

Ron Howard: His best friend's a talking pie!

Brian Grazer: Sold! Howard, you've done it again!

He hands Ron two large bags of money; Ron holds them up and smiles, as the closing line from the "Happy Days" theme plays
Old 12-01-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
And the hits keep coming for Fox:

"HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) With dating dwarves, men competing with animals, former celebrities boxing and all variety of televised sexual confusion, FOX has often been accused of a programming freak show, but it turns out the network was just building up to a "Peep Show."

FOX has ordered a pilot for "Peep Show," an American update of the successful British comedy.

The adaptation comes to FOX from Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner and the pilot will be written and executive produced by Jackie Filgo and Jeff Filgo, who are familiar to FOX and Carsey-Werner from their work on "That '70s Show."

"Peep Show" airs on Britain's Channel 4 and focuses on mismatched flatmates Jeremy, a wannabe pop star, and Mark, an obsessive loser. The show's twist is that the sometimes demented thoughts of the two main characters can often be heard. The original show has gotten inside their minds on issues like masturbation, death and male genitalia.

FOX, eager to erase the stain of last fall's "The Ortegas" (an adaptation of "The Kumars at No. 42," which never made it on air), is going after British properties in earnest. The "Peep Show" pilot follows a recent order of six scripts for a take on the soap opera "EastEnders" to be produced by "American Idol" guru Simon Fuller.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Peep Show" joins an untitled comedy from Will Gluck and Pam Brady, which has also received an early pilot pickup as part of FOX's erratic year-round scheduling initiative."
Old 12-01-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fox would have ratings gold if they would do an "in house" reality show - "when a network is run by monkeys".

I can already hear the promos:

next week on "when a network is run by monkeys" - see what not so funny and amazingly craptacular shows these crazy monkeys will choose next. then, you America, will decide what shows are the losers and are the most craptacular. then we'll fill our schedule with them.

or:

on a very special episode of "when a network is run by monkeys" join us when we have to say goodbye to one of our executives when he makes his final decision before being sent to the retirement home. and then be sure to tune-in in 2 weeks for our all new show "what monkeys do in retirement homes".

EDIT: FOX, if this idea sounds good, please call me at 1-800-YOU-SUCK for more.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 12-01-04 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-01-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisHicks
Fox would have ratings gold if they would do an "in house" reality show
Or "in tiny house"
Old 12-01-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 249 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL
The show's twist is that the sometimes demented thoughts of the two main characters can often be heard.
As someone said uptopic, "Herman's Head," anyone?

The problem with these tv morons that decide programming is that they think everything is a gimmick, a two second premise. They don't understand that the great shows are great not because of the premise, but because of the writing and the performances. So you get networks passing on "The West Wing" because "shows about politics don't work."

I mean, just look at the all time great sitcoms. Cheers, Cosby, etc. They're not a "situation." They're not Jesus as a slacker.

Fox sucks, sure, but the other networks aren't much behind. The only shows I actually watch on the primary nets these days are Survivor, Lost and West Wing. (Well, and 24 when that comes back on.)
Old 12-01-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Re: So Fox TV Has Hit A New Low! :furious: ;)

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
The funniest part is that someone thinks these are good ideas.
EXACTLY!!