TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jack & Bobby - 11/17/04

Old 11-17-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Jack & Bobby - 11/17/04

"Lost Boys", Episode #109.

Spoiler:
Grace's warm, intelligent, gay younger brother (Tom Cavanagh) makes a surprise visit to the McCallister home for Thanksgiving.

Cast: Matthew Long, Logan Lerman, Christine Lahti, Edwin Hodge, Jessica Par‚, John Slattery, Tom Cavanagh.

Director(s): Bryan Gordan.
Producer(s): Greg Berlanti, Vanessa Taylor, Mickey Liddell, Thomas Schlamme.
Writer(s): Barbie Klingman.

Original Airdate: November 17, 2004.
Old 11-17-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Has Tom Cavanagh been reduced to playing the nutty brother in other shows now that "Ed" is off the air? As Jimmy, the gay screw-up in Grace's family, he is endearing, but with a self-destructive streak. Grace has to deal with Jimmy after he is kicked out of his former dwelling after cheating on his boyfriend. How long will he be hanging with the McAlisters?

The ending was so empathetically painful for me to watch, but the importance of Bobby seeing Jack's pain over what he didn't do to help a friend deal with his homosexuality and homelife is shown decades later when Bobby decides to personally deliver the bad news to a navy sailor's family when the USS William Jefferson Clinton has a sneak attack launched against it during the War of the Americas on its way home for Thanksgiving, and 10 sailors were wounded, and 1 died. Bobby not only delivered the bad news, but stayed for Thanksgiving and shared stories of his brother Jack while the sailor's family shared stories of the sailor. Good stuff.
Old 11-17-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, screwed up my recording. I'll have to catch the rerun Sunday at 5:00pm CST.

I'm amazed that I like this show since I usually can't stand to watch any program that's politically based (such as [The West Wing).
Old 11-18-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
I'm amazed that I like this show since I usually can't stand to watch any program that's politically based (such as [The West Wing).
Same here.

I thought it was a pretty good ep - always enjoyable to see Tom Cavanaugh on tv. Now Julie Bowen needs to find some work.
Old 11-18-04, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually losing interest in this show because I felt like it was the same stuff every week. Grace smokes up, something happens to Bobby and Jack gets pissed.

This ep was a bit refreshing. Saw the softer side of Jack. Saw Grace's vulnerability with Tom. Liked Tom Cavanagh as the brother.
Old 11-18-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Two homosexual characters turn up out of nowhere over a 3 day span, what are the odds?
Old 11-18-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last night was the first time I have ever seen this show. It was ok but glad to see Tom Cavanagh. Seeing him made me realize how much I miss the show ED.
Old 11-18-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Meatpants
Two homosexual characters turn up out of nowhere over a 3 day span, what are the odds?
This show does have a lot of contrivances, but it works for the storytelling.
Old 11-19-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally posted by TracerBullet
This show does have a lot of contrivances, but it works for the storytelling.
I dunno if I'd call it a contrivance as much as a coincidence here, since the "odds" of two gay people showing up anywhere are probably a lot higher than most people would realize. What I liked about this was how Grace's brother had no input/insight for Jack. Had the "older gay uncle" come to make Jack feel all better about Jack's dead gay friend would've been contrived.

I liked the episode because it made me uncomfortable on a few levels and really had me hurtin' right along with Jack at the end. Powerful stuff.
Old 11-19-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bronkster
I dunno if I'd call it a contrivance as much as a coincidence here, since the "odds" of two gay people showing up anywhere are probably a lot higher than most people would realize. What I liked about this was how Grace's brother had no input/insight for Jack. Had the "older gay uncle" come to make Jack feel all better about Jack's dead gay friend would've been contrived.

I liked the episode because it made me uncomfortable on a few levels and really had me hurtin' right along with Jack at the end. Powerful stuff.
That's a good point. I also think setting this episode at Thanksgiving made it so that the arrival of the "gay uncle" wasn't as odd as it could have been. However, I don't care that much, as "realism" in storytelling is not necessarily something to strive for.

I did like that this episode expanded Jack from his usual "angry young man" schtick. The last scene with Jack and his friend's parents was especially powerful, I think, and perhaps opens the way for Jack to be a bit nicer to his own mother.
Old 11-21-04, 02:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good episode

I like how they showed a diffrent side to both Grace and Jack. I didn't care much for Jimmy though.
Old 11-21-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't like Jimmy much either.

Was this the first episode that it was mentioned that Jack dies? I know that I have read about it before, and I mentioned it one of the other threads, but I can't remember it being brought up in an episode.
Old 11-21-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
Didn't like Jimmy much either.

Was this the first episode that it was mentioned that Jack dies? I know that I have read about it before, and I mentioned it one of the other threads, but I can't remember it being brought up in an episode.
It was mentioned before in an early episode.
Old 11-21-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Grace was less annoying in this episode. For that, I give it a .

So, is Tom Cavanagh going to be appearing in the next few episodes? It sounded as though his character would hang around.

Originally posted by QuikSilver
Seeing him made me realize how much I miss the show ED.
Seriously! I really wish they'd release Ed on DVD.