Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Babylon 5 newbie...order to watch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babylon 5 newbie...order to watch

Can someone give me a brief run down on the best order for watching babylon 5? I know there are a number of movies out there, including a pilot movie. How do these all fit together? Is the pilot movie just the first episode(s) on the season 1 dvd set? If someone could give me a good layout for a course of viewing action, that would be fantastic.
Old 11-15-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The Gathering
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
In The Beginning
Thirdspace
Season 5
River of Souls
A Call To Arms
Crusade Season 1

The Gathering is the pilot movie and is available in the B5 Movies Collection boxset. I'd also suggest watching all the movies (except for The Gathering) after season 5, but the order I listed lets you watch the movies as early as possible without spoiling any episodes.
Old 11-15-04, 08:46 PM

Re: Babylon 5 newbie...order to watch

Originally posted by andrew_randy
Can someone give me a brief run down on the best order for watching babylon 5? I know there are a number of movies out there, including a pilot movie. How do these all fit together? Is the pilot movie just the first episode(s) on the season 1 dvd set? If someone could give me a good layout for a course of viewing action, that would be fantastic.
Welcome to the B5 fold. You're in for a heck of a ride...

I have yet to see River of Souls or anything past the first episode of Crusade, but the only real "required" plot-centric movies are The Gathering and In The Beginning. Conviently enough, a single-DVD is out there with just those two movies, but no extras. The Gathering is really the only one that is required viewing for various plot elements that come up later. In The Beginning isn't required for understanding the plot, but it's the best of all the movies, and fills in some neat backstory. The other movies are also sidestories, but are nowhere near as good.

Personally, I find that some of the novels are much more entertaining, and tie into the main story much better.

Be sure to keep us informed of your progress through the series, too. I always like reading the thoughts of somebody watching the show for the first time.
Old 11-15-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Babylon 5 newbie...order to watch

• andrew_randy •

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...87#post3758287

This post should have all the info you need with a few more specifics. I highly recommend this order or something very similar.

Welcome to the fold. Be prepared to think every other show is crap after you get caught up in this.

das
Old 11-16-04, 06:28 AM

This is only vaguely related but I am trying very hard to get my roommate to watch this series. After about a month of begging she finally relented and agreed to watch the pilot. I warned her ahead of time not to judge the series on the pilot, but after watching it she already wants to give up.

Normally I would put her in the lost cause category, but she loves Trek, especially DS9. Her biggest complaint about the pilot was Sinclair. She's agreed to give me one more episode to convince her to watch the show. I would prefer to go with Midnight on the Firing Line, but that is a very heavy sinclair-centric episode. Anyone have ideas?

Spoiler:
She does know Bruce Boxleitner eventually comes onto the show so season 2 or even three isn't out of the question and seeing events out of context might not spoil too much if I can find the right episode.
If you have thoughts, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Michael

Last edited by Mhepburn20; 11-16-04 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-16-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Careful of spoilers for andrew_randy, please.

Show her In the Beginning. Then, when she realizes the show does in fact kick ass and you've spoiled everything, laugh and point at her.

While that is an option, and maybe a last resort, some possible suggestions: 'Signs and Portents', 'Babylon Squared' (if you think that kind of story appeals to her specifically), or 'The Coming of Shadows'.

Perhaps you can make a bet with her. If she watches all the way through Season 2 and isn't completely obsessed with knowing the rest of the story, you'll get a license plate that reads B5GEEK. If she's wrong, though, she has to ... erm ... do something for you.

das
Old 11-16-04, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Careful of spoilers for andrew_randy, please.

Show her In the Beginning. Then, when she realizes the show does in fact kick ass and you've spoiled everything, laugh and point at her.

Spoiler info aside, I've found that ItB makes an absolutely horrible introduction to the series for a newbie, simply because there's a lot going that will most likely irritate and confuse a non-fan. I made the mistake of showing my gf ItB before the series (I hadn't seen it at that point, either), and while I really enjoyed it, she was pretty put off, simply because the movie doesn't waste any time introducing the characters or anything, it just dives right into the plot, making it feel more like another B5 episode instead of a stand-alone movie or an introduction to anything.
Old 11-16-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mhepburn20
This is only vaguely related but I am trying very hard to get my roommate to watch this series. After about a month of begging she finally relented and agreed to watch the pilot. I warned her ahead of time not to judge the series on the pilot, but after watching it she already wants to give up.
I know many would disagree with me, but that's why I never introduce someone to the series with the pilot. I think it's quite aweful to be blunt. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen the whole run and I still don't like the pilot.

Originally posted by Mhepburn20
Normally I would put her in the lost cause category, but she loves Trek, especially DS9. Her biggest complaint about the pilot was Sinclair.
Spoiler:

That's kind of funny. I'm showing the series to a small group here at work. Every Thursday at lunch. We've just started season 2 (about 5 episodes in) and half the group can't stand Sheridan. They miss Sinclair. As long as they continue to show up every week, I'm sure they'll soon forget about Sinclair, but it's quite funny to watch.
Old 11-16-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
I converted a LOT of people with the simple season 1 sequence of "Signs and Portents," "Babylon Squared" and "Chrysalis." Then you can go back and fill in the details.

The expression of newbie's faces at the end of B-Squared, when they see who is in the spacesuit, just makes my day. All of a sudden, it's like "Holy crap! There's a huge story here."
Old 11-17-04, 08:01 AM

thanks for recommendations everyone! I think I'm going to try Bablyon Squared and hope for the best.

Michael
Old 11-17-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Heh heh heh.
Old 11-17-04, 07:38 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by dstrauss
Heh heh heh.

I mean - we frown on "heh-heh-heh"-ing people here. [stern look]