TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dead Like Me - 10/24/04

Old 10-25-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Like Me - 10/24/04

I watched the episode twice and still didn't get the ending where
Spoiler:
George reaps the Ray-Graveling and it disintegrates.

No post-it for the graveling -- I didn't think they could reap without a post-it?

Where did the graveling's soul go? It didn't look like George knew either....

It looks like next week (Season Finale) will maybe deal with
Spoiler:
the Millie/George thing because reapers are recognizable as themselves on Halloween and does Reggie see her sister in the cemetary or was it a tease in the trailer for next week?
Ugh!!

Last edited by SMB-IL; 10-25-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 12:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Even though they've been telegraphing what would happen with Rube and his daughter for weeks now, I was genuinely touched when it finally occured. First time this show has reached me on an emotional level.

Plus, it's always great to hear Patinkin sing.
Old 10-25-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First Funny Groucho, then Serious Groucho, now Sensitive Groucho.... DVDTalk will never be the same

Seriously though, it was a very touching scene. Unfortunately my Tivo didn't record the full episode so I didn't get to see the part where
Spoiler:
George reaps Ray
. I believe it is re-airing tonight though so I will have to watch it then and see what I think...

Another great episode IMO.
Old 10-25-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pad next week because Tivo has it at 45 minutes like this week was and it actually ran about 48 minutes -- I HATE that!
Old 10-25-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by SMB-IL
Pad next week because Tivo has it at 45 minutes like this week was and it actually ran about 48 minutes -- I HATE that!
What pisses me off is that I DID pad it I always give it about 3mins extra beginning and 5min extra end. I don't know why but it just stopped when Mason was laying on the couch with George.

I was home at the time and could have just been watching it live, but I have gotten into such a habit of watching shows a little later so I can fast forward through commercials...and it became habit on non-commercial shows too .
Old 10-25-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My cable company decided to do the thing where they only intermittently provide various channels and Showtime was the choice for the outage last night, so I missed it.

Hopefully my cable will work tonight.
Old 10-25-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Even though they've been telegraphing what would happen with Rube and his daughter for weeks now, I was genuinely touched when it finally occured. First time this show has reached me on an emotional level.

Plus, it's always great to hear Patinkin sing.
Funny, I always tape the show for someone at work and I told her today the show last night was so... touching. I thought this one was one of their best.

I don't deny Patinkin has a good voice but his singing sort of weirds me out (same thing happened on Chicago Hope). My wife loves his singing.

Can't wait for the season finale. BTW, did anyone notice that the last two weeks they've been saying "only three shows left," "only two shows left"? It scared me, they were making it sound like it might be the end. Last night I loved hearing them call next week's show the season finale.
Old 10-26-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib
...I don't deny Patinkin has a good voice but his singing sort of weirds me out (same thing happened on Chicago Hope). My wife loves his singing....
Wow, same thoughts here about Patinkin's singing.... there's just something about it that's like "OK, you're on key and everything, but please let the song be over soon." -- don't know what it is....
Old 10-26-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Dead Like Me - 10/24/04

Originally posted by SMB-IL
[B]I watched the episode twice and still didn't get the ending where
Spoiler:
George reaps the Ray-Graveling and it disintegrates.

No post-it for the graveling -- I didn't think they could reap without a post-it?

Where did the graveling's soul go? It didn't look like George knew either....
Spoiler:
Daisy reaped the 2nd guy who got hit with the window by the Rayvling & he didn't have a post it. George reaping the Rayvling was kind of cool even though I don't understand all the implications of it.

Last edited by ytrez; 10-26-04 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Nice ep. My Tivo made it just until they started to run the credits, so I didn't see the preview for next week.

Some good stuff. It was nice to see the Lass's ALMOST act like a normal family. Rube's storyline was very touching. I kind of wish they had shown us how Rube looked to Rosie at the end there, since by their rules, he should have looked different to her now. And George reaping the graveling was very cool. Not sure of what that means exactly, but it was cool nonetheless. Too bad the season will be over on Sunday. Still loving this show.

X
Old 10-27-04, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Xander
Rube's storyline was very touching. I kind of wish they had shown us how Rube looked to Rosie at the end there, since by their rules, he should have looked different to her now.
Well, she obviously recognized him. However, this was AFTER Lisa Simpson reaped her...so once again the writers dodge the question!
And George reaping the graveling was very cool. Not sure of what that means exactly, but it was cool nonetheless.
One thing that's been established since the beginning is that George has a "unique" relationship with the gravelings. I imagine this plays into that.
Old 10-27-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
My DVR missed the ending of the episdoe as well but thanks to Showtime on Demand I'm about to see the ending and the previews for next week.

The stuff with Rube and his daughter was really sweet but I don't know why the daughter would have been waiting for him. Another one of life's mysteries I guess.
Old 10-27-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My tivo cut out. How did she reap a graveling - did it die or soemthing?
Old 10-28-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing that's been established since the beginning is that George has a "unique" relationship with the gravelings. I imagine this plays into that. [/B]
The only time I recall her having any dealings with the graveling aside from the norm is when they pestered her when she refused to take a soul.

My tivo cut out. How did she reap a graveling - did it die or soemthing?
She touched its arm and it disintegrated.

At this point they seem to be making up the rules as they go along.
Old 10-28-04, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by Thrush
The only time I recall her having any dealings with the graveling aside from the norm is when they pestered her when she refused to take a soul.
There was something said about it in an early episode. How she could see them better than the other reapers or something.

Also, when she was a little girl and still alive she saw the graveling in the swimming pool.
Old 10-28-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
There was something said about it in an early episode. How she could see them better than the other reapers or something.

Also, when she was a little girl and still alive she saw the graveling in the swimming pool.
Disagree completely. I think they can all see gravelings like George. I think this is another example of them changing the rules. One thing that happened is that the creator, or one of the creators, left after episode three. So originally, Rube says that you can only see them out of the corner of your eye, but after that, everyone can see them.

And I also don't think that she saw the gravelings at the bottom of the pool. They saw her and almost took her, but she didn't see them.

For all we know, any reaper could do that to any graveling. Or maybe Ray was a special case. Or maybe they're making up rules again. But they haven't lead me to believe that George is anything special.

X
Old 10-28-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
In the DVD commentary track with the actors they seem to believe that George can see the gravelings better than the other reapers. However, I also agree that the writers seem to be making new rules/changing old rules too often.
Old 10-28-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Xander
And I also don't think that she saw the gravelings at the bottom of the pool. They saw her and almost took her, but she didn't see them.
Old 10-29-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I took the pool incident as showing that she was destined to be a reaper form the start. One graveling goes to take her, but is held back by the other. Who whispers something in his ear.
Old 10-29-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have to go back and watch the show to be absolutly sure but this is what i think happened.
Spoiler:
Ray's soul was never reaped, Mason just killed him. Mason and Daisy never took his soul. And since he died without being in Rub's book of death(or not having a post-it), something unnatural happened(i.e. becoming a graveling). Since this was an unnatural death(unnatural to the reapers not to you or me) he bacame a graveling instead of being trapped in his body, like the guy in the first season that George refused to reap. So when George touched Ray, that was basically her reaping him, allowing his soul to go whereever and causing the graveling to turn to dust. But if i'm wrong about Daisy and Mason never removing Ray's soul(or reaping him) than none of this makes sense.
That's just the way i interpreted it.
Old 10-29-04, 11:14 AM

In the pool scene, George seemed to be smiling at the Gravelings.
Old 10-29-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the pool scene, George seemed to be smiling at the Gravelings.
But you have to take that in context with what was happening to/around her at that point.

Previous discussion on this topic

I also think that George notices the Gravelings more than the others because she's only been a reaper for a year, while all the others have become desensitized to them over the decades.