ABC hit 'Housewives' losing sponsors

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-19-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/19/news...rate/index.htm
Do you wonder why networks seldom have shows worth watching?
Old 10-19-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No matter how many companies drop out, with a hit show like this, they will have no trouble picking up more.
Old 10-19-04, 06:22 PM

This will most likely backfire on them anyway as the quote below from the article suggests.

"But there's reason to think the campaign against advertisers is much ado about nothing.

Headline-grabbing matchups like this can be a boon to networks because of the additional viewers who tune in just to see what all the fuss is about, said Steve Craig, a professor at the University of North Texas and an expert on controversial programming.

One oft-cited example is "Married...With Children," the parody of family life that ran on Fox from 1987 until 1997. When a Michigan housewife mounted a heavily-publicized boycott of the show, some companies that initially backed off from advertising later returned, lured by a ratings bump that coincided with the dustup."
Old 10-19-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Advertisers will whore their mothers in the pursuit of shows with high ratings.
Old 10-19-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find this so ironic. These people have sticks up their asses, but can't handle a show about sex.
Old 10-19-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uptight people: Just turn the f-in channel and watch Jack & Bobby!
Old 10-19-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
No matter how many companies drop out, with a hit show like this, they will have no trouble picking up more.
Exactly, ABC is laughing all the way to the bank. From the same link
One key measure: rates for a 30-second spot on the show have doubled, to roughly $300,000, since the initial round of ads were sold in May, two television advertising trade journals reported this week.
Old 10-19-04, 10:26 PM

Another ABC program that he says parents are complaining about: "Life As We Know It," a drama about three teenage boys described by ABC as "hormone-charged."

"The show is nothing but sex, sex, sex," said Sharp. "We're really looking hard at it."

The goods news for Sharp is, "Life As We Know It" has struggled in its Thursday night time slot opposite CBS and NBC's strong lineup. The bad news is, a little controversy might be exactly what the show -- and ABC -- is looking for.

That show could use some viewers.
Old 10-19-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts
"The show is nothing but sex, sex, sex," said Sharp. "We're really looking hard at it."
I bet you are...

I've never understood why these groups take it upon themselves to decide what other people should be able to watch.

I understand the freedom to boycott the products but I don't need a committee to "clean up TV" for my family. I can easily turn it off and read a book.
Old 10-19-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the problem, most of the complainers probably can't read an entire book, or figure out that being offended is part of being an American.
Old 10-20-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Draven

I've never understood why these groups take it upon themselves to decide what other people should be able to watch.
I understand the freedom to boycott the products but I don't need a committee to "clean up TV" for my family. I can easily turn it off and read a book.
Exactly. So why can't they be satisfied with doing the same? They exercise complete control over their home. Why do they feel the need to control mine? I really can't understand that and it pisses me off. It also irritates me that companies I do business with caved to the miserable little control freaks.
Old 10-20-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 217 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally posted by Draven

Very true, but the ultimate agenda of these people isn't to keep "the smut" off their televisions, but everyone else's.

They don't have to watch it, but they know that other people are, and they fear that it is going to create an immoral climate that they have to live in.

It's not enough that John Q. Christian and his little well-pressed brood not watch something, they have to keep the rest of us from enjoying it, too, because when we do, we contribute to the moral decay of society.
Old 10-20-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I already commented how members the PTC (Parents Television Council) must have had conniptions when they watched Life as We Know It. Not only discussion of sex - but teenage boys discussing sex!!!! The horror.
Old 10-20-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I already commented how members the PTC (Parents Television Council) must have had conniptions when they watched Life as We Know It. Not only discussion of sex - but teenage boys discussing sex!!!! The horror.
And the parents were joking about their son masturbating!!! What has this world come to!?!

These fascist bible-beaters give good, normal Christians a bad name. My parents are very religious (they're Catholic - so a sense of humor is a requirement) and they think Desperate Housewives is a riot.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-20-04 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-20-04, 08:41 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I guess they might have a point if ABC was the only channel. But it's not! There are hundreds of other choices on during that hour...certainly at least one of them is family friendly. If not, pop in a DVD. Or maybe, *gasp* turn off the fucking tv and spend time interacting with your kids!

Why are they getting so bent out of shape over a show no child would want to watch anyway! 90% of the show consists of adults standing around talking. No kid wants to see that. BO-RING.
Old 10-20-04, 12:06 PM

I went to www.onemillionmoms.com that is mentioned in the article and they have a whole list of "Successful Campaigns" and list a lot of shows that they have "convinced" advertisers to pull ads from.

Some of these shows include:
Desparate Housewives
South Park
The Man Show
The Shield
Wonderfalls
NYPD Blue
Nip/Tuck
Paradise Hotel
Lucky
Law & Order
The Lingerie Bowl

I watch or have watched most of those shows.

These people are morons. Get a life.
Old 10-20-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
They didn't pull ads from the Lingerie Bowl - it was PPV. I think they got the original corporate sponsor to drop out.

They really have it in for F/X programming I see.
Old 10-22-04, 12:37 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Somebody tell the million Moms to use their f***ing V-chips. We all had to pay for the damn things and now the cretins won't use them. OR maybe it's not really their children they're worried about....
Old 10-22-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally posted by MrE
Somebody tell the million Moms to use their f***ing V-chips. We all had to pay for the damn things and now the cretins won't use them. OR maybe it's not really their children they're worried about....
That's a really good point. I think every or most every television made within the last 5 years or so has a built in V-Chip. Why don't they use those?
Old 10-22-04, 05:28 PM

I like this quote below from Sharp (official speaker for AFA):

The show is nothing but sex, sex, sex," said Sharp. "We're really looking hard at it."

I think he is kinda torn. First he is talking about sex and then he is talking about how hard they are?
Old 10-22-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People should boycott advertisers who are weak and fold in the face of pressure from vocal minorities that want to dictate morality.
Old 10-22-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Arcade
One oft-cited example is "Married...With Children," the parody of family life that ran on Fox from 1987 until 1997. When a Michigan housewife mounted a heavily-publicized boycott of the show,
Sigh. One of these days, people might actually do the research. Terry Rakolta was not a "housewife," she was married to a major Republican official in state government. *That's* why she got a lot of press.
Old 10-22-04, 06:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by apeyard
I went to www.onemillionmoms.com that is mentioned in the article and they have a whole list of "Successful Campaigns" and list a lot of shows that they have "convinced" advertisers to pull ads from.

Some of these shows include:
South Park
The Man Show
The Shield
NYPD Blue
Lucky
The Lingerie Bowl
I'm sure these shows are huge in the mom demographic
Old 10-24-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure these shows are huge in the mom demographic
Depends what kind of mom you have. My mom watches NYPD Blue. She likes Dennis Franz.
Old 10-25-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
How do you know who sponsors a show you don't like, unless you watch the show AND the commercials. Isn't that sort of a waste of time?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.