Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dead Like Me - 10/10/2004

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's just pretend that Millie's alternate look last season was actually an attractive person instead of a crack whore and blame it on a case of poor casting. Now everything jives.
Old 10-16-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ytrez
I'm not sure. The Rube situation, with a final determination on pre or post-death in regards to the poster will determine, I think if there is a continuity problem.
Actually, it wouldn't.

We see the reapers how they looked in life. The poster looked like how Rube looks to us, which is how he looked in life.

However, if the reapers project a different image to the outside world, the clerk kid shouldn't notice a resemblance between the Rube he sees and the poster because the Rube he sees should look different than the poster.

If the robbery was committed post-death, the poster would match how Rube looks to the outside world, but since we saw the poster, we know it looks like pre-death Rube.

The only way it isn't a continuity error is that if we see drawings of reapers as they were in life (and the robbery was committed post-death).... or if not all reapers appear differently to the outside world.

But knowing when the robbery was committed doesn't really clear it up.
Old 10-16-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigDan
Actually, it wouldn't.

We see the reapers how they looked in life. The poster looked like how Rube looks to us, which is how he looked in life.

However, if the reapers project a different image to the outside world, the clerk kid shouldn't notice a resemblance between the Rube he sees and the poster because the Rube he sees should look different than the poster.

If the robbery was committed post-death, the poster would match how Rube looks to the outside world, but since we saw the poster, we know it looks like pre-death Rube.

The only way it isn't a continuity error is that if we see drawings of reapers as they were in life (and the robbery was committed post-death).... or if not all reapers appear differently to the outside world.

But knowing when the robbery was committed doesn't really clear it up.
Rube's appearance to US (the viewer) is how he looked when he was alive. I think we can all agree on that.

The wanted poster looked like the Rube we see (the alive Rube).

If the robbery was commited before he died, then the kid should not have recognized him, as he would look different to the living.

If the robbery was commited after Rube died, then the photo should have looked like post-death Rube, not the Rube we see.

My take? They quietly abandoned the idea that reapers look different in death. However, this does complicate the first season a bit, with George/Millie talking to her mother, but they could explain it away if they really had to (maybe reapers only look different for a short period of time, or whatever).