Reload this Page >

Conan O'Brien To Take Over 'Tonight Show' In '09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Conan O'Brien To Take Over 'Tonight Show' In '09

Old 05-26-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Conan O'Brien To Take Over 'Tonight Show' In '09

My friend went to a test show today, he didn't give me many details, just it was funny as hell. I'll be going on the 4th, hopefully it will be as awesome as the taping I went to back in January. Before the taping Conan picked me out of the crowd where I danced with him, gave him a hug, and he told me to go down stage to give Max a hug where he also gave me his drum sticks.
Old 05-27-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
If you look in the newest EW they have a top ten of favorite moment from The Tonight Show. My favorites.

The Night after The Cheers Finale when the whole cast was smashed.
The Dancing Ito's
I loved the time, after the Simpson trial was over, when he finally got through a monologue without an O.J. joke. They brought out a gospel choir and sung about how he was now O.J. free.
Old 05-27-09, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Terps54423
Well, I guess that settles it then. Thanks Donovan.
I guarantee Conan loses the #1 spot at 11:30 to Letterman by the end of the year. Leno has been #1 since 1995. I am just telling you guys that Conan appeals to a young crowd, but alot of people over 40 who watch the Tonight Show wont like him, and wont think he is funny. He can get away with his stupid humor at 12:30 as that is a different audience, but it wont work at 11:30.
Old 05-27-09, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I guarantee Conan loses the #1 spot at 11:30 to Letterman by the end of the year. Leno has been #1 since 1995. I am just telling you guys that Conan appeals to a young crowd, but alot of people over 40 who watch the Tonight Show wont like him, and wont think he is funny. He can get away with his stupid humor at 12:30 as that is a different audience, but it wont work at 11:30.
I am the young crowd and watched Conan at 12:30. I will now watch him at 11:30. I imagine a lot of his viewers will do the same. Also, Conan's later spot meant not as many people watched him because lots of people go to bed before midnight. If anything, he will probably benefit from his show moving to a time slot that is more accessible to a wider audience. If that clown Leno had the #1 spot, Conan can maintain it, especially against the supremely unfunny David Letterman.
Old 05-27-09, 08:24 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno, I like Conan, but would probably have to kind of agree with McNabb. Yeah, Conan will obviously get more "older" viewers at the new time than he had before, and even more younger viewers, but I think he'll lose plenty of older viewers that Leno had. I don't think he's going to crash and burn, and I hope he ends up with good ratings, I'm just not so sure. Leno may be a clown, but he's a clown a lot of people like.

It also probably won't help that Jay's on before the news, so the older folks can go to bed right after the news now.
Old 05-27-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty cool, never seen it before:

http://www.videosift.com/video/David...y-Conan-OBrien
Old 05-27-09, 09:36 AM

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I think Conan will do just fine. I know my math isn't infallible, but give me a moment's benefit of the doubt. His first audiences were those who were in high school and college in, say, 1993-1998, at the ages of say, 16-21. Fast forward to 2009 when those folks are now 32-37, possibly working or married or with kids or all three, and just don't stay up as late as they used to. This new earlier time slot? Perfect for his demographic. Why? His demographic is aging into Leno's demographic.

I think the guests on the premiere next week, June 1, are telling of this: Will Farrell and Pearl Jam. Say what you want about Will Farrell (I think I was sick of him before anybody, but whatever), this man had his SNL heyday when Conan was starting out on Late Night, so you have the biggest SNL standout from that day on the new show. Pearl Jam was huge in the 1990s and so you have one of the biggest rock bands from that day on the new show. When I heard Pearl Jam was booked for the first episode of the Tonight Show, I flipped. Not just because they're my favorite band, but because Conan seems to get it. Pearl Jam isn't The Fray or Fallout Boy or whoever won American Idol or whoever the "kids" are listening to these days. Pearl Jam is a rock band with its biggest-selling records behind it and a strong, loyal following who are turning what age?... Late-twenties to mid-thirties.

He knows his audience. He's ready.
Old 05-27-09, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound analysis. I really like Conan...and not just because I think he's funny, but because he has a way of making the whole show enjoyable. I watched Leno when I was younger (25 now) but eventually got tired of it, and would watch Conan when I could but it was just too late most nights. I would DVR a show every now and then where there was a guest I wanted to see, but could never do that on a daily basis. These days, my routine is to watch Seinfeld at 11 and then try to watch something to fall asleep to after that. Now I'll be back to having a go-to show to watch so I'll be tuning in for at least a bit most nights.
Old 05-27-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder who will keep the viewers from the people that Watched Letterman & then switched to Conan? Now they have to choose one or the other.
Old 05-27-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

If you guys like Conan, thats cool with me, but you have to understand his audience is more of a niche fanbase, and he has never appealed to the masses. He got beat at the end of last year in the ratings by Craig Ferguson! I repeat: Craig Ferguson!

When he goes to 11:30, there is a whole new crowd of people that are going to think he is a big doofus, and either won't get his humor, or wont think he is funny. I think he will lose big time to an over-the-hill Letterman, even with a built in Tonight Show Fanbase that has been there since Carson.

Only time will tell, but we'll see in 6 months how he is doing, and we can debate it then
Old 05-27-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

can't believe people actually watch leno, dude isn't funny at all

i prolly could watch every tonight show and not laugh once
Old 05-27-09, 04:24 PM

I never watch Leno but now that Conan will be on earlier I will be watching him instead of Letterman.
Old 05-29-09, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Conan will be Leno's last guest. it'll be interesting to see how this new Tonight Show works.
Old 05-29-09, 02:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Looking forward to Leno's last Tonight Show tonight. I respect Leno quite a bit. While always not the funniest, he is reliable and is a workhorse if there ever was one. I have high expectations for Conan (and am optimistic he'll do alright).
Old 05-29-09, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by the action
Maybe Andy would be willing to come back and be Conan's sidekick again like the Carson tonight show had. I'm sure his sitcom will be cancelled by then.
Look at this eerie prediction from 2004. Good call, the action!
Old 06-02-09, 12:09 AM
Suspended

decent first show.