TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Medical Investigation - Series Premiere 9/9

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Medical Investigation - Series Premiere 9/9

THURSDAY PREVIEW 10:00PM 09-09-04

Neal McDonough (NBC's "Boomtown") and Kelli Williams ("The Practice") return to series television as members of a mobile medical team from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) who are summoned in a heartbeat to scope out -- and hopefully snuff out -- outbreaks of unexplained and fearful diseases. When people are suffering from a mysterious and deadly illness, which turns them blue, the team must work to put the pieces together to find the source of this potentially deadly epidemic. The series also stars Troy Winbush ("John Q."), Christopher Gorham ("Jake 2.0") and Anna Belknap ("The Handler") as part of the elite team. TV14

SERIES PREMIERE 10:00PM 09-10-04

TEEN GIRLS GRIPPED BY DEADLY BRAIN DISEASE THAT REQUIRES CONNOR AND NATALIE TO TAKE RADICAL STEPS -- The NIH team hurtles toward St. Louis when four middle-school teens fall ill to encephalitis. Meanwhile, after Connor (Neal McDonough) and Natalie (Kelli Williams) conduct inconclusive tests, they shock the parents when they ask for a brain biopsy to detect if the problem resulted from a sexually transmitted disease. Eva (Anna Belknap) investigates a different path when a friend suggests that the girls were poisoned by a jealous rival -- even as new cases are reported. In addition, Natalie feels helpless to provide comfort for a long-suffering patient (guest star Shea Whigham) who is participating in a clinical trial. Christopher Gorham and Troy Winbush also star. TV14

The show is airing tonight as a preview before moving to Friday in its normal timeslot. Honestly, the show doesn't sound that exciting, and I don't expect it to last long in the Friday night ghetto timeslot, but I plan on watching just for Neal McDonough. That man could recite the phone book for me.

Anyone else gonna watch?

Last edited by Jadzia; 09-09-04 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-09-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to check it out just for the cast, but I'm not so sure about this one.

Picked up a NBC preview DVD from BestBuy the other day and they had a 3.5 minute preview. Sounds like it takes itself too seriously.
Old 09-09-04, 01:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The reviews haven't been very good. I'll check it out for McDonough and Anna Belknap
Old 09-09-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll tune in for Kelli Williams.
Old 09-09-04, 01:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I may check it out as well. I too like McDonough.
Old 09-09-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
EW pretty much put it on life support in its review of MI.
Old 09-09-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll watch it if I can stay awake. They should just put McDonough on ER as a new surgeon or something.
Old 09-09-04, 05:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
"Don't tell me I'm running out of time!"
Old 09-09-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Oh crap, I forgot about this show. Need to add it to my Tivo queue. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 09-09-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think they could have come up w/ a better title.
Old 09-09-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anna Belknap

Reason enough for me to watch. I loved Boomtown and I love Anna Belknap.
Old 09-09-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I forgot about this so thanks for the reminder. I think EW referred to the show as "sorry about cancelling Boomtown"
Old 09-09-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the cast, but the show isn't anything we haven't already seen a million times.

Yep, they should have kept Boomtown.
Old 09-09-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I lost interest and went back to watch Thursday Night Football in HDTV.
Old 09-09-04, 11:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I had it while doing other things but from what I watched it didn't seem to bad. It's on again tomorrow night so I'll give it another try.
Old 09-10-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chicken Beak from Scrubs was there!

EDIT: And Nurse Roberts!

Last edited by Kal-El; 09-10-04 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-10-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll keep watching, but if the rest of the show is anything like the pilot I won't be tuning in for long...even if Neal McDonough is the star.

It was terribly boring and extremely slow.

Boomtown was much better. Thank you for dvds.
Old 09-10-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it. I'm tuning in.
Old 09-10-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't stand Kelli.

the story wasn't that great.

the "tinting" of the show got on my nerves [no, it wasn't the blue people].

three things I DID like...

Neal.

His [soon to be?] ex.

Other than that, it was "meh"...but it'll be on after "Third Watch" [depending on how long MI lasts], so i'll be sure to be a regular viewer [that 'ol "too lazy to change the damn channel" syndrome].
Old 09-10-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah seemed like a whole lot of yelling and slower pace for a tv show. Plus the theme seem like it would always end with the startrek like magic cure in the last 10min every ep.. ER the person can die, CSI the person can get away or maybe a twist on who really did it.. Ah but with Medical Investigation it's not like they can have a outbreak of XYZ sickness and the show ends with "Aww hell I don't know what is wrong here, screw it, lets just go home" and the whole town dies..

Also main guy more or less yelled or just acted pissed off at everyone about everything.

plus unlike say CSI doing tech work that is interesting the stuff they were doing on this show was sort of like just going "Is it the bread that is killing them!!?? I think we need to test the bread!!! TEST IT [guy yelling as I said before] NOW!! Test the bread for the bready bread factor that we need to see to know if the breadness will be the level of bread that can cause a man to die of BREAD!!!!! [more yelling]" Then some more random yelling about some other issue.

errrrrrrrrrrrr ok.... I've watch worse shows and to be honest I even still sort of like the pilot ep of this one but I will not be shocked if it's gone in less then 10 eps..
Old 09-10-04, 08:53 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i thought it was pretty good, tonight's episode on encephalitis should be pretty decent
Old 09-10-04, 10:05 AM
Banned

It wasn't great but it was alot better than that hawaii crap.
Old 09-10-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife who worked as a MLT in a lab couldn't stop laughing throughout the episode. She took issue with:

- Not doing obvious tests that anyone would do
- Improper treatments
- Nurses/Extras were wearing level 2 haz-mat suits but our stars were walking around not even wearing a surgical mask
- The one guy checks the clothes wearing a level 3 (possibly 4, she wasn't sure) haz-mat suit for apparently no reason since at no other time did anyone appear to be that worried of being infected
- The fact that he took a swab of some area in the restaurant that showed nitrates, but it must not have been labeled so they still had to look where it came from
- A gas chromatograph (which they did) would have showed that substance was high in Nitrate and Sodium (so they wouldn't have had to guess whether it was Sodium-Nitrates or Amonnia-Nitrates)
- Somebody in the hospital probably should have noticed the baby had blue eyes

Now I know TV shows are inherently silly, but as she pointed out that on ER they run the proper tests, use the proper equipment and generally don't ignore medical facts for the pacing of stories. Maybe a week or so while watching ER with her do I hear "they probably wouldn't do that."
Old 09-10-04, 03:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So when are they doing the show on entitilitus?
Old 09-10-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show was like the consolation prize to all the actors: it seemed like the entire cast had a show cancelled last year: Boomtown, The Handler, Jake 2.0.

The show was ok, but boring. The only part that made me really roll my eyes was that stupid speech by the Jake 2.0 Guy: "The NIH is who you call blah, blah, blah." I turned to my husband and was like "who wrote this crap?"

I'll watch it again, but I have little hope the show will last or how long until I drop it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.