Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joey 9/9/04 - Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 10:11 AM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by Phil L.
Does Drea really have all those tattoos in real life?
I googled that questions and found that:

The Tattoos of Drea:

She has an AC/DC one, and the names of her mother, father and grandmother.

Old 09-10-04, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...1,1002,272_617|90540|1|,00.html

The premiere of "Friends" spinoff "Joey," 11.7/20, and the season debut of "The Apprentice," 9.9/16, combined to win the 8 p.m. hour for NBC. ABC's NFL kickoff special was second at 6.8/11, beating "Big Brother 5," 6.2/10, on CBS. FOX took fourth with "Totally Outrageous Behavior" and "World's Craziest Videos." The first hour of "WWE Smackdown!" on UPN averaged 2.5/4, finishing a few tenths ahead of an hour-long "Blue Collar TV" on The WB.

Chris
Old 09-10-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't bad at all. I like the relationships between Joey and his sister and nephew. I kept saying to myself that they needed someone smart and somewhat normal for joey to play off of and I guess they got it in his nephew.

The speech at the end was nice, too. I'll continue to watch.
Old 09-10-04, 11:33 AM

Nobody else found the laugh track highly annoying?
Old 09-10-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't find that it was distracting, but I pretty much tune them out now. I much prefer shows with no laugh track. I can figure out when to laugh for myself, thank you very much.
Old 09-10-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by movieking
I didn't find that it was distracting, but I pretty much tune them out now. I much prefer shows with no laugh track. I can figure out when to laugh for myself, thank you very much.
Not me. I'll usually look around in confusion until the laugh track starts; then I'll laugh on cue. How am I supposed to know something is funny if there isn't a laugh track?
Old 09-10-04, 12:21 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its still early days, I'm willing to give this show a chance.
Old 09-10-04, 12:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was glad to see that NBC is up to their old "dirty tricks" to foil DVR owners by starting the show early and letting it run late.
Old 09-10-04, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
On the one hand, I liked it more than I liked the first episode of Frasier, so that could mean it will wind up being at Frasier levels of quality.

On the other hand, I also liked it more than I liked the first episode of AfterM*A*S*H, so maybe it will wind up being at AfterM*A*S*H levels of quality.
Old 09-10-04, 03:09 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the general "not too bad, but not as good as Friends" concensus. They've got a nice fouondation here, and I actually had quite a few decent laughs ("You defecate on one human corpse..." had me rolling). I imagine they'll be able to play Joey's gigs into many storylines, plus if he gets a full time gig we'll get more supporting cast members. The nephew also can open up many new storylines, as it brings a new element to play Joey's character off he didn't have in Friends.
Old 09-10-04, 03:21 PM
Banned

I thought it was great, much better than the whiney last 2 years of Friends.

The only thing its that the scene change music is extremely similar to those on King of Queens.
Old 09-10-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
It was decent, but the neighbor sucked. She is a terrible actress. I just don't see this show going that far since there's not the dymanic of six people, where they can focus on one or two per week like Friends did.
Old 09-10-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was greatly looking forward to this after hearing the raves over the pilot at the up-fronts. Quite a disappointment. It wasn't horrible per se, but after some of the reviews I'd read, it was far from what I was anticipating. Still enjoy the Joey character, and his character was written pretty well for the most part. Nothing wrong with Drea either...

But my god, the neighbor, the nephew and Stifler's mom. The nephew just drove me insane. Poorly written, poorly acted, every scene involving him was just poor. Such a cliched sitcom character/situation. Here's hoping Joey finds himself in a hillarious situation involving his nephew's death.

Nothing wrong with the writing for the neighbor, but the actress was less than ideal. Sorry they let Ashley Scott go.

And Stifler's mom... Maybe it was the actress in the role, but the writing seemed very weak for her limited time on-screen. Jokes were over the top and the character came across as annoying. Not annoying-funny, annoying-get the hell off my tv.
Old 09-10-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by coladar

And Stifler's mom... Maybe it was the actress in the role, but the writing seemed very weak for her limited time on-screen. Jokes were over the top and the character came across as annoying. Not annoying-funny, annoying-get the hell off my tv.
Joey's old agent, Estelle, was annoying-funny. Too bad they killed her off.
The nephew being a rocket scientist was a little silly. Why couldn't he just be a normal college student? To show the disparity of Joey to a genius?
Nice blood sprays for Joey's cable series. It was a little dig at shows like "The Shield" that get away with a lot more than network television.
Old 09-11-04, 01:45 AM

No kidding about the nephew...a rocket scientist and he can't afford his own place.....???????
Old 09-11-04, 01:31 PM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...eisure_joey_dc

'Joey' Finds Many New Friends in TV Debut

Fri Sep 10, 4:17 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Matt LeBlanc found millions of new pals as his television show, "Joey," won strong viewership for the NBC network, which hopes the spinoff will help rebuild its Thursday night lineup after the departure of longtime hit "Friends."

NBC said on Friday that "Joey," in which LeBlanc reprises his role as lovable actor Joey Tribbiani from "Friends," pulled in 18.6 million viewers overall when it aired in the 8 p.m. time slot of its predecessor.

Among adults 18 to 49 years old, an audience advertisers covet for its spending power and a core target for "Friends," "Joey" was the No. 1 show with a 7.5 rating, compared with the 3.3 for ABC's pregame pro football telecast, NBC said, citing early figures from audience tracker Nielsen Media Research.

Each rating point represents 1.3 million viewers in that age group, according to an NBC spokesman.

"Joey" earned the highest rating in 14 years among 18 to 49 year olds for the premiere night of an 8 p.m. comedy on NBC. "Friends" was long an anchor of the Thursday night comedy lineup and was a lucrative show for the network.

Following "Joey," which NBC promoted heavily during its coverage of the Athens Olympics, the network also debuted the new season of the Donald Trump reality show, "The Apprentice," which earned a 6.6 rating in the 18-to-49-year-old group and averaged 14.1 million viewers overall.

NBC is a division of the NBC Universal media wing of conglomerate General Electric Co.

Chris
Old 09-11-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by maxpower
No kidding about the nephew...a rocket scientist and he can't afford his own place.....???????
Well, it's not like he's a paid rocket scientist raking in the money. He's a graduate student. I guess I didn't have a problem with him being a genius and a rocket scientist in training. If you are going to bite on Joey being as dim as he is (seriously, anybody that stupid in real life would have been run over by a bus years ago) then I don't see the problem with buying his nephew as a genius. Seems to be a lot to play with there with him being a genius who at the same time is inexperienced in life. I like the chemistry between him and Matt Leblanc and think the character is great. I can't wait to see how it develops over the course of the series.

Oh, and the neighboir storyline, it will be intersting to see where it goes, as here is part of the description of next week's show from the NBC website:

Spoiler:
Meanwhile, Michael and Joey learn all is not as it seems with his attractive neighbor, Alex (Andrea Anders).
Old 09-13-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
It was okay. I really don't buy Drea as a mother of a 20-year old (even though they explained that she had the kid so young). I'll check out a few more eps before I decide whether it is worth watching each week. If most episodes are like the pilot, I'll probably just wait for the re-runs when there is less programming to watch.