Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Harry Shearer says The Simpsons stinks

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry Shearer says The Simpsons stinks

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08102004...ment/28782.htm

August 10, 2004 -- 'SIMPSONS" voice Harry Shearer says the show's run out of gas.

But the producer of the all-time record-setting comedy says it's Shearer who's full of gas.

Shearer, who voices "Simpsons" characters Mr. Burns, Smithers and Ned Flanders, said this week that he believes the show has run its course and that he'd "rather not be there now.

"It makes me sad," Shearer told the Irish Examiner.

His remarks seem to have set a fire on this side of the Atlantic.

"I don't know why I have to defend the quality of the show to Harry Shearer . . . he's a guy who's been a malcontent, in my view," Al Jean, "The Simpsons" long-time producer, told The Post yesterday.

"For someone earning millions off the show this year . . . I just think it's unfathomable for him to take a shot at us."

Shearer seemed to be most disturbed that his characters no longer have a lot to do on the show. Now they are just walk-on parts.

"They used to have whole scenes," he said. "Season four looks very good to me now. Fortunately, I'm doing a lot of other things."

"I ran season four and he wasn't happy then," Jean fired back. "I just think it's an insult to all of us who work so hard. Harry doesn't put in that much time [working on the show] compared to the writers and producers.

"I think this past season was great, and I'm just so shocked that he would say that."

Jean boasted that Dan Castellaneta, who voices Homer Simpson, won an Emmy yesterday for Outstanding Voiceover Performance for "Today I'm a Clown," the episode in which Krusty the Clown has a Bar Mitzvah (Castellaneta also voices Krusty).

etc etc
Old 08-11-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure his bank account doesn't stink. Maybe he's sick of doing it for so long..
Old 08-11-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am saying the same thing... now he has a job for a while.... what is he complaining
Old 08-11-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
Old 08-11-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 08-11-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He's right.
Old 08-11-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for Shearer. Any self respecting Simpsons fan will admit that the show has gone downhill over the last number of seasons, and it is nice to see a cast member admit it.

Besides, how is what he is saying different than what most of us do daily (bitch about our employer)? I know that when a company that I was working for went downhill, I certainly voiced my opinion about it. As far as I am concerned, Al Jean needs to take off his Rose Colored Glasses (and yes, I have been a huge Simpsons fan for years, have all the episodes on DVD/VHS, etc).
Old 08-11-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fire his ingrate ass immediately. What, he's so irreplaceable? When one chimp dies, do they close the zoo? I'll bet that there are loads of starving voiceover actors that could do his characters just as well, and you wouldn't even know the difference. I work with a guy who does a spot-on Mr. Burns, you'd swear you were listening to the real thing, and he doesn't have any training or experience at all. 9 people out of 10 couldn't tell you who the hell Harry Shearer is anyway. I know I certainly wouldn't pay someone 250K an episode after he badmouthed the job.
Old 08-11-04, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by movieking
Besides, how is what he is saying different than what most of us do daily (bitch about our employer)? I know that when a company that I was working for went downhill, I certainly voiced my opinion about it.
Did you "voice your opinion" to a newspaper, one that, presumably, some of your company's clients read? If so, you should have been fired, too.

If you've got beef, you handle it in-house.

RS
Old 08-11-04, 04:39 PM

Obviously they think he is pretty important or they wouldn't have given his the 500% raise or whatever they all just got.

It's funny because I often wonder when watching some of the new episods what the actors are thinking and especially if Castellaneta is thinking how crap Homer has turned into a whining one liner.
Old 08-11-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hes just crying because his characters dont have big roles anymore...pure selfishness.
Old 08-11-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He might be a whiny bitch in this case, but he's right saying the show sucks.

The show doesn't exist after Season 13 in my mind.
Old 08-11-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see why the producers care what he thinks as long as his work doesn't suffer. Unless Shearer is paid to shill for them, that is. Does Al Jean cry if a Korean animator says the show sucks now?
Old 08-11-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the paper that ran that story and the Simpsons are owned by the same company.
Old 08-11-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
well, while I still laugh at it from time to time, I stopped being a regular watcher a long time ago.
Old 08-12-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Harry.
Old 08-12-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the original article the NY Post is cribbing this from. Notice that the Post invented a completely new context for the "They used to have whole scenes" remark (in the original it's clear he's referring to the way the show is written now versus the way it used to be written, but the NY Post apparently decided that he was "really" complaining about the lack of screen time for his characters, the implication being that he's just a bitter publicity whore). Also note that they left out his accusation of Fox planting the salary dispute story -- his denial of the salary dispute story is still there, but they leave out his explanation altogether. More high-quality journalism from the Post....
Old 08-12-04, 07:58 AM
Banned

Shearer should keep his mouth shut but I do agree with him. The Simpsons is just hurting it's reputation by still continuing at this point.
Old 08-12-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe someone should tell Shearer that his movies suck now.
Old 08-12-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Fire his ingrate ass immediately. What, he's so irreplaceable? When one chimp dies, do they close the zoo?
Old 08-12-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by movieking

Besides, how is what he is saying different than what most of us do daily (bitch about our employer)? I know that when a company that I was working for went downhill, I certainly voiced my opinion about it
Sorry, I find it hard to drum up sympathy for someone who is making millions doing voiceovers for a few hours while I'm at work in my 9 to 5, five days a week making $39,000 a year.

Even in my job I know how, when, where and to whom to voice my complaints about my job.
Old 08-12-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Harry Shearer is a weenie. Always has been. If you don't find what he's doing funny, you must not "get it".
Old 08-12-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally posted by RMSpuhler
Did you "voice your opinion" to a newspaper, one that, presumably, some of your company's clients read? If so, you should have been fired, too.

If you've got beef, you handle it in-house.

RS
This I agree with, in most cases.
My dad has a plaque on his wall, goes something like this:
"If you work for a man, in heaven's name, work for him. Once you no longer work for him, damn him to your heart's content."

Obviously I think people should speak up if there are abuses or fraud going on, but to say 'Yeah, I just signed a contract for 1000000 an episode, but the show sucks now' is rather tacky to say the least.

I haven't seen any 'classic' episodes from the last couple seasons, but still, it's better than most of the crap on tv.
Old 08-12-04, 10:35 AM
Suspended

And you know -he's dead on. The show HAS sucked for the last 3 or so years now. Even the Haloween specials - an episode ALWAYS guaranteed to bring Teh Funny - have sucked ass in the last year or so.

The sucky-ness of the show has really been hammered home by the DVD sets. I watch season 4, and even tho I've seen the episodes time and time again, I'm still laughing. Today's simpsons - barely a chuckle, usualy Homer getting hit on the head by something.

No - the show is well past it's shelf life. But much like Saturday Night Live, the network is afraid to pull the plug on a "institution".
Old 08-12-04, 11:13 AM

I agree with Harry, but I disagree with most of you. I support him. We come here week after week and bitch about how the show sucks, and you see how much good that has done. 3 seasons of the suckiest suck to ever suck. I'm glad that somebody in a position of power (if you can call it that) has spoken out. I don't see the fact that he gets paid more than any of us as an issue. By saying "he gets paid a whole buncha money, so he should shut up", you're saying he can be bribed to not speak out. Glad to see the quality of the show is important to somebody.

Last edited by mverleg1; 08-12-04 at 02:09 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.