Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"The Grid" finale (8/9)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Grid" finale (8/9)

I can't believe this miniseries has been so overlooked. For the past few weeks I've watched both this and "The 4400," and "The Grid" has been much more involving and entertaining.

I especially enjoyed the finale. A somewhat good ending, but there is no happily ever after. Of course the miniseries had some minor faults as well, but overall I felt it looked like it a movie's budget. Great acting by all involved, especially Bernard Hill.

Great job, TNT! Would love to see some more efforts of this caliber.
Old 08-09-04, 10:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought the finale was the strongest episode of the series and this was much better then "the 4400"

Their was some cliche foreshadowing, like promising not to kill the son, but a solid series overall
Old 08-10-04, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
How disappointing this series was. I thought the promos made this show look killer, but really, it wasn't anything more than a feel-good, US rocks, anti-terrorism movie that hasn't been done 1000 times since 9/11.

I was hoping for something more along the lines of Alias meets West Wing, but got Diamonds are Forever meets Melrose Place.
Old 08-10-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to respectively disagree. This was no feel-good, U.S. rocks movie. Hell, the Brits were in it just as much as the Americans. Was it an anti-terrorist movie? Well, yeah, but that was the point. It did do the job of showing distinctions between the terrorists: Mohammad, the doctor, the blonde American.
Old 08-10-04, 11:41 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought The Grid was an excellent series. The BBC was involved with the project so it had very much an international feel. A U.S. rocks movie? I thought the British came off looking significantly more skilled. There's an interesting write up on the TNT website about who was involved in the project, the people and organizations that were consulted, and the steps they took to ensure authenticity.
Old 08-10-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There any replays of the whole thing going or planned? I never even heard of it till I just opened this thread right now.
Old 08-10-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
By US I meant Western Powers, not just the United States.

Either way, I didn't think it was very good.
Old 08-10-04, 02:01 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
There any replays of the whole thing going or planned? I never even heard of it till I just opened this thread right now.
There don't appear to be any rebroadcasts scheduled. Usually cable stations will replay the heck out of their own productions. I would be surprised if this didn't show up on DVD eventually since it was shown in widescreen format and HD.
Old 08-12-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that both 4400 and Grid are done, I agree this was not only the more involving series, but the better finale as well. I knew they weren't going to be able to stop all the attacks, but they didn't unfold exactly how I was expecting. That's always good when a series can do that.
Old 08-12-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was pretty average and bordering on lame in parts. Still better than 4400 though. The foreshadowing was just too much, between Bobby promising to take the son alive and the extra focus on Raza and Emily, you may as well have put red shirts on them. Consequently, Raza's death had little impact on me, because I knew I was being manipulated into it, and that's a big turnoff for me. The "our cell vs. their cell" thing that was plastered through all the promos was misleading too.

And the near-ending with Hathaway's promotion and Viper smiling and applauding was almost laughable. Why not give us a "slow-clap" while you're at it.

There was a lot to like about this series, especially the stuff with the Brits and Theoden, but it was a little too cliche-ridden at points, and it was also bogged down with too many side stories that didn't flow very well (and were clearly there just to sell the sympathy of the characters).

I enjoyed about as much as I didn't, so I wouldn't say it was bad, just a letdown that didn't really match the way it was promoted (it was supposed to be this overwhelmingly authentic piece, but it's dripping with "Hollywood").

das
Old 08-12-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
what had the blonde brit done before?
for some reason she's reminding me of the brunette on night rider