Reload this Page >

Smallville & general Superman question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-28-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never read the Superman comics, so my knowledge of the Superman universe comes from:
1) Christopher Reeves movies
2) Lois & Clark TV show
3) Smallville
4) Old "Superfriends" cartoons (but not the new ones from the past couple of years)

I remember in the old Superfriends cartoons they would occaisonaly have Superman run into/use blue kryptonite, which unlike the other varieties was beneficial to him.

Was that made up only for those cartoons, or is there a basis for it in the comics? Since Smallville seems to use krptonite in just about every episode, have they ever done an episode with blue kryptonite?

Also, are there any other colors (besides green and red) of the stuff, and what effects do they have?
Old 07-28-04, 09:10 AM

In the old Superman universe (pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths) there were several varieties of Kryptonite:

Blue - kills Bizarro Superman.

Gold - permanently removes Superman's powers.

Green - the traditional Kryptonite, which can weaken and eventually kill Superman.

Red - Green Kryptonite that had gone through some strange area of space. While the effects last only a few days, each piece causes something different to happen. However, once the effects are over, the Kryptonian exposed is immune to that condition.

Silver - fictional, part of a prank.

Yellow - fictional, "created" by Lex Luthor

Krimson - created by Mr. Mxyzptlk, it robs Superman of his powers but doesn't kill.

White - kills plant life.

Slow - modified Green that slows down movements of Kryptonians and Humans.

X - gives Kryptonian powers to Terran life-forms; created by Supergirl as a cure for Green Kryptonite. This is where Streaky the Super-Cat got his powers.

Anti - effects non-powered Kryptonians the same way Green would effect Superman.

Jewel - gives Phantom Zone inmates the ability to project illusions in the real world as well as mind control of others.

I haven't read Superman in a while, so I'm not sure which versions have survived post-Crisis, except for Green and Krimson.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-04, 09:13 AM

Sorry - the answer to your other questions.

"Smallville" has used Green, which weakens and can kill Clark, and Red, which makes him apathetic. No others have shown up. The idea of Kryptonite aversely affecting humans comes from the comics, where Lex Luthor wore a Kryptonite ring to keep Superman away - and eventually discovered that he had contracted cancer from being close to it for so long.

Kryptonite started out on the radio show as an excuse for the actor who played Superman to be away from the mike for a few weeks. Since then the comics and the shows hae expanded on it, but the comic series has done the most "work" on Kryptonite.
Old 07-28-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I remember in Superfriends, they used blue kryptonite (which hurts Bizzaro of course) to reverse the effects of red kryponite.