Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm watching Babylon 5 S2 right now.When do I need to watch the movies?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'm watching Babylon 5 S2 right now.When do I need to watch the movies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,981 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
So why are some books not considered canon? Were they not approved by JMS? If that is the case how did they get made then?
dstrauss is correct.

Most of the time, when you have media tie-in novels, they're nothing but licensed fan faction. Star Wars, Star Trek, Buffy -- none of the stuff has anything to do with the storylines on the shows, they're just merchandise like shirts or posters as far as everyone that creates the shows/movies is concerned.

Just as an example, I've only read a handful of Star Trek/Star Wars novels, and most of those were later contradicted by things on either TV or the movies.

Like for Star Trek, there was a novel called "Dark Mirror" that used the "Mirror, Mirror" alernate universe versions of the TNG crew. This was later rendered impossible when DS9 picked up the mirror universe plot and took in a completely different direction. And there was another Star Trek novel, "Federation," that dealt with Zeffram Cochrane which was pretty much mooted by "First Contact."

And, I think that most of the Star Wars novels and comics that were released prior to the prequels got the Jedi and cloning mythology completely wrong. (You had husband and wife Jedi teams, clones of Jedis, all kinds of stuff that isn't supported by what we saw in the prequels.)

But back to Babylon 5, it was always JMS's intention that any licensed Babylon 5 novels or comics were be "in canon," and only feature stories that were a part of the greater tapestry.

As far as I know, Dell didn't really give a shit and just hired out writers to hash out novels that were set in the Babylon 5 universe with little regard for established canon. So some of these earlier Dell novels will have familiar characters behaving strangely, or will contradict the rules of the B5 universe that were established on the series. Nine novels were released by Dell, only two of which are considered to be canonical -- Shadow Within and To Dream in the City of Sorrows. I'm not sure how Shadow Within came to be considered canonical, but it likely had input from JMS since the author went on to write one of the later trilogies. City of Sorrows was written by JMS's wife, so we can assume that he had some input in it.

The later three trilogies were all based on outlines from JMS, so we can be assured that the big points, if not every detail, is canonical.
Old 07-24-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Received season 3 in the mail today from Digital Eyes. When I opened the seal, I noticed that the side of the DVD box was bent and scuffed. When I pulled out the case a lot of broken plastic came with it. It looked as if someone had stomped the shit out of the box. I mean it was was smashed. I checked out the cardboard box it came in and all I could find was two little punctures. The mailing box was in very good shape. What the hell could have happened?

Anyway, amazingly enough the discs themselves were okay. I called Digital Eyes and they sent me a return label and an RMA number.They are also shipping a replacement. Excellent service.

I have been able to watch the first four episodes and I must say, the series keeps getting better and better.But, can it keep it up?I'll be watching the next four episodes tonight. I'm gonna try to watch as many as I can before Monday( I need my Babylon 5 fix, dammit).I'll have to wait for the replacement arrives before I will be able to finish the series.

Oh, and I was able to watch "The Gathering," and for those of you who might be getting into the series for the first time make sure you watch "The Gathering" first. It'll help later down the road.
Old 07-25-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• smokedragon •

I have been able to watch the first four episodes and I must say, the series keeps getting better and better.But, can it keep it up?
Do you really need to ask?

das
Old 07-25-04, 03:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 597 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Do you really need to ask?

das
Heh-heh-heh.

Old 07-25-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 251 Likes on 151 Posts
Really, I just hate the "Just wait..." thing, but boy, just wait until you hit the Messages From Earth/Point of No Return/Severed Dreams trilogy.

That's when most people finally realize just how great this show can get.

Or, to summarize: Heh heh heh.
Old 07-26-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished season 3. All I can say is holy ****ing shit! Amazing, absolutely amazing. My jaw dropped so many times I don't think I can talk. Jesus, this one season packed so much drama in it than any other show I have ever watched. Unpredictable, dramatic, emotional, suspenseful, nerve wracking,and, as I have said before, jaw dropping.

I care for the characters. The writing is top notch. The battles are un****ingbelievable. Just when you think you have a minute grasp on the situation, you find out just how wrong you are. The end of the second to last episode was one of those moments. I thought something else was gonna happen, but, my jaw hit the floor yet again when I watched it. Man, oh, man, my Babylonathon is over . Thankfully, though, I have auctions ending today, so guess what's on my DVD list to buy next

Can season 4 top season 3? It's gonna be tough. Season 3 was just short of being perfect. But, I will see, I will see.

Thanks all who recommended Babylon 5. This is why I love the internet and especially DVDTALK because you can always find an opinion on something whether it be a movie, a TV show, a CD, or a game. Thanks to DVDTALKERS I am a huge fan of Buffy, Angel, Firefly, The Shield, and now, Babylon 5.

Thank you.
Old 07-26-04, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by smokedragon

Can season 4 top season 3? It's gonna be tough. Season 3 was just short of being perfect. But, I will see, I will see.
I don't find that the fourth season so much as tops the third season so much as it just continues the intensity for almost the whole thing. You may find the pacing to be a bit odd, and there's a couple episodes that are a bit different from the usual (they're still great, though), but the fourth season is still quite awesome.
Old 07-26-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman
Heh-heh-heh.

Bando finally gets to use it on somebody else for a change.
Old 07-26-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• xVladx •

I don't find that the fourth season so much as tops the third season so much as it just continues the intensity for almost the whole thing. You may find the pacing to be a bit odd, and there's a couple episodes that are a bit different from the usual (they're still great, though), but the fourth season is still quite awesome.
That's pretty much the way I feel too. Season 3 is near perfect, so there's little room for improvement; but Season 4 does continue the intensity and quality of Season 3 throughout almost all the episodes, and it is most certainly "quite awesome."

das
Old 07-28-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I just finished War without End Part 2 and my head hurts.... =/
Old 07-28-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 251 Likes on 151 Posts
And season 4 doesn't have Grey 17 is Missing, so there's that...

But season 3 is The Greatest Cliffhanger Ever (TM), so there's that.....

Seriously, season 4 kicks butt too. It really is one long 22 episode story, that takes a breath every 6 episodes or so.

Ack, damn it. I may have to pull out the DVDs this weekend now.
Old 07-28-04, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by dstrauss
And season 4 doesn't have Grey 17 is Missing, so there's that...
You know, I always found A Late Delivery From Avalon to be a much weaker episode than Grey 17. Sure, the Garabaldi stuff in Grey 17 was pretty weak, but the other story was pretty good. I found the whole King Arthur thing to just be rather uninteresting and corny...
Old 07-28-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by xVladx
You know, I always found A Late Delivery From Avalon to be a much weaker episode than Grey 17. Sure, the Garabaldi stuff in Grey 17 was pretty weak, but the other story was pretty good. I found the whole King Arthur thing to just be rather uninteresting and corny...
I'm watching all the seasons again, and I was dreading "Grey 17 Is Missing". I forced myself to watch it, and it was better than I remembered. Yeah, the Grey 17 stuff is still pretty awful, but I liked the other story with Delenn and Neroon. "A Late Delivery From Avalon" is my least favorite non-season-one episode, followed closely by "Sic Transit Vir". Those few misfires during season three just help you to appreciate the brilliance of the rest of the season even more.
Old 09-16-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Superman07
I just finished War without End Part 2 and my head hurts.... =/
Me too. Today. O_o
Old 11-27-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, this weekend I have begun another Babylonathon! Thanks to DDD I received Babylon 5 season four Wednesday.

I have watched the first four episodes and, yet, again, I am

Absolutely fuckin amazing. Again, when I think I know what's coming next, I am completely floored. Thank God I have this weekend off. Means I got more Babylon goodness to come.