Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Article on Seth MacFarlane

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Article on Seth MacFarlane

The New York Times has a new article on Seth MacFarlane, Family Guy and American Dad, here.

I will freely admit that I think Family Guy has been one of the worst shows of its era, but I do think Family Guy was improving in its last season (the characters started to have some semblance of a personality), which I suppose bodes well for the new episodes and for American Dad, which sounds like an attempt to make Family Guy for grown-ups.

(Edited by poster to remove some of the more controversial stuff, 'cause even though it's my thread, I shouldn't be threadcrapping)

Last edited by Jaime_Weinman; 07-06-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 12:53 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I actually saw a couple of episodes of the Family Guy (on DVD) over the weekend and loved it. Absolutely hilarious stuff that pushes the envelope similar to South Park (although not quite as graphically).

I enjoyed the episodes I saw and was actually spurred into wanting to see more of the show.

I read the article earlier this morning and it's good to see fan power (well, lots of $$$$ really) preventing the demise of a tv show that a lot of people didn't want to see go away.

Not quite sure what to make of American Dad, but I guess I'll have to reserve judgement until it comes out.
Old 07-07-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can you post the article so we dont have to sign up?
Old 07-07-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this link works without registration...
Old 07-07-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: New Article on Seth MacFarlane

Originally posted by Jaime_Weinman
which sounds like an attempt to make Family Guy for grown-ups.

?? A Family Guy for grownups? If Family Guy was aimed at kids, it sure did have a whole lotta penis jokes. Guess that's what the kids like.
Old 07-07-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

did you just say kids like penis........

jokes?

I think family guy was funny and aimed at adults. Hence the evening time slot. Can't a guy like simpsons, futurama, south park and faimly guy?
Old 07-08-04, 10:54 AM

?? A Family Guy for grownups? If Family Guy was aimed at kids, it sure did have a whole lotta penis jokes. Guess that's what the kids like.
Well, yeah. That is what the kids like.

Family Guy may have raunchy jokes, but it's basically a kids show -- simple plots, little dimension or depth to the characters, and the kind of simple jokes that are aimed at kids (fart jokes; jokes about commercials that kids watched when they were little). It's like "Eurotrip" is a kids' movie, not for little kids but high school and college kids -- and, indeed, it's high school and college kids who have been Family Guy's biggest audience.

Similarly, I think South Park was basically a kids' show at the beginning, though in recent years it's started to do more grown-up stories (with subtler jokes, more interesting plots, grown-up issues, etc). Family Guy was always basically a TV-14 rated version of the cartoons Seth MacFarlane worked on at Hanna-Barbera, like the original "Johnny Bravo," which had a similar sensibility.
Old 07-08-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before this turns into another Family Guy argument thread, I'll just state my opinion that it's most certainly not a "kids show" and leave. And neither is (or ever was) South Park.

das
Old 07-08-04, 11:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
BTW, exactly what does Seth look like?
Old 07-08-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I wouldn't say the references were anything that "kids" would have gotten on a consistent basis. Unless you are referring to 30 and older kids. Many of the references come from Seth's youth, as you can hear on the commentaries, so I would say it was aimed at his age group with many of the references.
Old 07-08-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
I believe his head is shaped somewhat like a football.
Old 07-08-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, yeah. That is what the kids like.

Family Guy may have raunchy jokes, but it's basically a kids show
Just because it is a cartoon doesn't mean that it gets labeled a children's show. It is an adult comedy. Period.
Old 07-08-04, 01:34 PM

Just because it is a cartoon doesn't mean that it gets labeled a children's show. It is an adult comedy. Period.
I'm not labelling it a kids' show because it's a cartoon. (I think The A-Team was basically a kids' show, and that's not animated.) I think it's a kids' show because of the style, because of the deliberately juvenile humor, because such a large amount of its audience is kids (high school and college). To call something a kids' show is not to say it's bad, or that adults can't like it. Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain and Rocky and Bullwinkle and many others appeal to adults, but are essentially kids' shows. Now, MacFarlane is not as good as the people who created the above shows -- particularly Pinky and the Brain, since Stewie is an inferior copy of The Brain -- and he includes more scatological jokes, but that's the sort of thing kids find funny too.

It's like John Kricfalusi, when he included gross-out jokes in Ren and Stimpy, justified it by saying that "it's a kids show, and that's what kids like." In other words, the fact that something includes gross or scatological or sexual humor doesn't mean it's not aimed at kids; it's probably a sign that it is for kids.
Old 07-08-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's a kids' show because of the style, because of the deliberately juvenile humor, because such a large amount of its audience is kids (high school and college).
Well, that's a teen show then, not a kids show.

Anyway, I think Family Guy is really targeted at children of the 70's and 80's. Many of the references are from that era (Star Wars, Star Trek, Kool Aid Man, etc.) are from that era and few of today's children would understand that aspect of the show.
Old 07-09-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Why doesn't that article mention that When You Wish... was aired on Cartoon Network?

"Let's build two Denny's so we can say 'Let's not go to that one, let's go to the good one' "

One of my favorite lines ever.
Old 07-11-04, 06:14 PM

I dont see how anyone could label Family Guy as a kids show. I think the humor would go over a lot of kids heads. Just like it does with so many adults.
Old 07-12-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
Like this:
(All that talent, and he's gorgeous too) :sigh:

BTW, Family Guy is most definitely NOT a kids' show.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 07-12-04 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-12-04, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Well, that's a teen show then, not a kids show.

Anyway, I think Family Guy is really targeted at children of the 70's and 80's. Many of the references are from that era (Star Wars, Star Trek, Kool Aid Man, etc.) are from that era and few of today's children would understand that aspect of the show.
Concur! As a 42 year old, I laughed my ass off while my 2 sons (11 & 8) occasionally smiled but most of the jokes went right over their heads!

Rip
Old 07-26-04, 10:04 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seth's introducing his favorite episodes all week on Adult Swim. When You Wish Upon a Weinstein just started and will be repeated in 3 hours.
Old 07-26-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not labelling it a kids' show because it's a cartoon. (I think The A-Team was basically a kids' show, and that's not animated.) I think it's a kids' show because of the style, because of the deliberately juvenile humor, because such a large amount of its audience is kids (high school and college). To call something a kids' show is not to say it's bad, or that adults can't like it. Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain and Rocky and Bullwinkle and many others appeal to adults, but are essentially kids' shows. Now, MacFarlane is not as good as the people who created the above shows -- particularly Pinky and the Brain, since Stewie is an inferior copy of The Brain -- and he includes more scatological jokes, but that's the sort of thing kids find funny too.

It's like John Kricfalusi, when he included gross-out jokes in Ren and Stimpy, justified it by saying that "it's a kids show, and that's what kids like." In other words, the fact that something includes gross or scatological or sexual humor doesn't mean it's not aimed at kids; it's probably a sign that it is for kids.
How old are you 60? Because only 60 year olds call teenagers and people in college "kids".