Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Any differences in the Directv receivers?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market to get directv. Some places let you pick what brand and I am curious what the differences are if any besides remote. I have heard there are different features but I can't find anything telling me what or comparing.
Old 07-01-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not clear what you're referring to here. But I do know that the standard 35 hour DirecTiVo boxes have no differences. They're all made at the same factory and it's just the case that's different. With the small exception that the RCA box has a long warrenty and costs slightly more.

At least that was the situation a year ago.

If you're actually talking about standard receivers, I have no idea. But if you don't get a good answer, I'd ask at TiVo Community. They know a lot about TiVo, DirecTiVo and DirecTV over there.
Old 07-01-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I was actually asking about the standard receivers. I know the Tivo receivers are the same.
Old 07-01-04, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Any differences in the Directv receivers?

Originally posted by innocentfreak
I am in the market to get directv. Some places let you pick what brand and I am curious what the differences are if any besides remote. I have heard there are different features but I can't find anything telling me what or comparing.
There are differences.

Some have a serial input that you can connect a tivo to so you don't need to use the ir to change the channel.

other than that, i have no idea. try doing a search on ebay and see what's out there
Old 07-02-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by innocentfreak
Yeah I was actually asking about the standard receivers. I know the Tivo receivers are the same.
In that event, I'd suggest asking at that website I posted earlier. I would imagine they could give you a better answer there or at least point you in the right direction.
Old 07-02-04, 05:17 PM

i like the hughes receivers. you can pre-select shows to view ahead of time, so when 8pm comes the tv will switch automatically to the show you selected just in case you forget. i haven't seen this feature in rca or sony.

to me, RCA's are the worst since they die frequently. we actually had about 4 RCA's die out on us over the last few years. also, the remote for the RCA is just too big and too many buttons.
Old 07-04-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually there used to be differences in the receivers, but now they are going to be one standard box with the Directv name on it and no brand name like Hughes, Sony, etc. They announced this back at CES in January.