Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Explain the only case Perry Mason ever lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Explain the only case Perry Mason ever lost

Who's idea was it?Was it just to make Perry Mason look human rather than perfect?
Old 06-30-04, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Man, it's been awhile since I've watched those (I still have them all on VHS).

If I remeber correctly, the episode itself was not really about the case he lost. It happened a bit at the beginning and he just had a somewhat puzzling look on his face after the verdict and the show went on.

Couple of other odd episodes:
One had Earl Stanley Gardner as the Judge.
One was shown in color.

Edit: after a quick search there is a claim that there were 3 TV episodes in which he lost cases: "Terrified Typist", "Deadly Verdict", and "Witless Witness" (this was the one I was thinking of). The only loss in the books was "Terrified Typist".

Now you have me interested, off to do some searching...

Edit 2 (shouldn't need spoiler tags for this, but just in case..):
Spoiler:
The verdicts were eventually overturned in "Deadly Verdict" and "Terrified Typist".

Last edited by The Cow; 06-30-04 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this show ever gonna be on dvd besides those crappy ones from Columbia house?
Old 07-01-04, 12:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know about "Deadly Verdict" but in "Terrified Typist" an important distinction should be made.

Spoiler:
In "Typist", the man Mason defended DID commit the murder with which he was charged. We find out at the end that Mason's client (whose real name turns out to be James Kincaid) had assumed another man's name: Duane Jefferson. Certain letters/cartoons supposedly authored by Mason's client, and which helped convict him, were actually the work of the real (and innocent) Duane Jefferson. After the jury brought back a guilty verdict, Mason revealed this information to the judge and moved for either a mistrial or to have the verdict overturned, which the judge did. Hamilton Burger would have to refile charges and, we assume, Mason would not defend Kincaid now that it was clear his former client was guilty.
Old 07-01-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Matlock ever lose a case?
Old 07-01-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The theme music alone scares me from this show! Just the first couple of strains before it gets into that jazzy swagger. When I was young, I saw an episode where this guy tried to break into a lady's house through a door that had a chain lock on it. All of this happened right before the music started. It scared the heck out of me way back then and that is what I think of when I hear the music! Silly I know. :-)

Sam
Old 07-03-04, 05:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by nightwing82
Did Matlock ever lose a case?
No, he didn't. This was actually a question on Hollywood Squares a year or two ago. Who has lost more cases: Matlock or Perry Mason?

EDIT: July 2006. Turns out Hollywood Squares was wrong. Matlock did lose a case (I think it was "The Convict") It starts out with Matlock in court, and the jury handing down a guilty verdict. (This was similar to the opening of a Perry Mason episode.) Matlock eventually finds the real killer and clears his client.

Last edited by digidoh; 07-01-06 at 02:48 PM.