Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dead Zone 6/27

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Zone 6/27

Just got done watching this, and I couldn't believe there wasn't a thread up for it yet. As a matter of fact, I don't seem to recall a thread for any episodes from S3 thus far.

After the last three episodes, I was starting to think the show had lost its touch, particularly since I'm not a big fan of Kate Warner being in every scene.

But tonight's episode; it was easily the best episode of the series thus far in my opinion. No Sarah Wynter, lots of interaction between Johnny and Bruce (Which has been too infrequent since S1 ended), a touching core plot and a superb ending I've been waiting almost two years for.

Richard Lewis, who I mostly know from Curb Your Enthusiasm and stand-up, was quite remarkable in a dramatic role. Even more interesting, this was Anthony Michael Halls' directorial debut. Surprising such a great episode came out of something that at first glance seemed questionable (Actor making directorial debut, comedian in a dramatic role...)
Old 06-28-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Dead Zone 6/27

I agree with you, this is easily the best episode of season 3, and Richard Lewis' performance was spectacular. I consider season two's episode titled "Playing God" to be the best of any episode that has aired. That was the episode guest starring Ally Sheedy.

It's incredible how many images and stories are stuck in my head from this show.
Old 06-28-04, 01:57 AM

I totally forgot about this season's premiere. How many s3 episodes have aired? I'll make sure to catch it tonight. Thnx..
Old 06-28-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Four episodes have aired thus far... There's another new one next week, and then nothing until the 18th.
Old 06-28-04, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode but i thought this was the weakest of the season so far. However i loved the entire JJ story

capt
Old 06-28-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I was beginning to think I was the only person watching this show. Liked the episode, loved the ending. I missed S2 so I can't really compare it but it was nice to not have Wynter's character anywhere near the episode.
Old 06-28-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• CaptDS9E •

Good episode but i thought this was the weakest of the season so far. However i loved the entire JJ story

capt
Yeah. The stuff with Richard Lewis was way over the top, and the fake-out ending was silly. However, I really enjoyed the subplot with JJ, and I did like the way it somewhat connected to the main plot.

das
Old 06-29-04, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I love this show, but sometimes they cheat with the visions. If you establish the vision "sound" and there has to be contact then what initiated the vision there? Was it the phone call itself? It's the same problem I had with the episode in the bar with the girl from last season.

He made such a big point in one episode of KNOWING the difference between when he's in a vision and when he's in the real world, but these little visions seem to go against that fact. I like the storylines, but that one little flaw bugs me. I guess I have to just let it go as a necessary storytelling element.
Old 06-29-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I have to say that hasn't been already said?

Richard Lewis sure looks like he's aged about 20 years since we saw him in his last CYE.
Old 06-29-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He made such a big point in one episode of KNOWING the difference between when he's in a vision and when he's in the real world, but these little visions seem to go against that fact. I like the storylines, but that one little flaw bugs me. I guess I have to just let it go as a necessary storytelling element.

If you have watched the first three episodes of the season you know Johnny's powers have been acting strange.Sometimes Loss in time. Loss in knowing if its real or not and so forth. Its not a big departure

capt
Old 06-29-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
He made such a big point in one episode of KNOWING the difference between when he's in a vision and when he's in the real world, but these little visions seem to go against that fact. I like the storylines, but that one little flaw bugs me.
That's what I like about the show. His visions don't follow a set of rules or boundaries. They stretch, retract, and evolve as Johnny's experience furthers. His "fate" is in for something bigger and the visions are training him for it.

If his visions became text-book and predictably executed, it would make the show boring. That's why people stop watching shows after a couple of seasons: they've seen it all.
Old 06-29-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a difference between creatively using his power -- like the show had done very well -- and using it as a cheap gimmick to manipulate the audience. This episode was an example of the latter and is weak.

das
Old 06-30-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
loved the episode. Love the series.
Old 06-30-04, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by CaptDS9E
If you have watched the first three episodes of the season you know Johnny's powers have been acting strange.Sometimes Loss in time. Loss in knowing if its real or not and so forth. Its not a big departure

capt
But this wasn't the first time they have done this. Remember I was referring to season two when talking about the girl in the bar. I guess it's not a big deal, but I just find it, as das said, to be a copout sometimes.
Old 07-01-04, 01:47 PM

Wow. I just watched this episode last night (recorded it when it aired) and it was very good. It was also the first episode I've seen of The Dead Zone ever, so my question is this: Is this episode pretty true to the quality of the series that I can just go ahead and order Seasons 1 & 2 on dvd, or should I wait and watch a few more episodes of this season first?
Old 07-01-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by meglet
Is this episode pretty true to the quality of the series that I can just go ahead and order Seasons 1 & 2 on dvd, or should I wait and watch a few more episodes of this season first?
I would say that Season 1 & 2 for the most part are better then the ep you saw, not that season 3 is bad in any way so far.
Old 07-02-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[Jack McFarland]JustJohnny!!![/Jack McFarland]
Old 07-02-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't been impressed thusfar this season. I just can't get into it. The seem to drop story lines and have a filler episode that has nothing to do with the armegaddon thing.

I'll stick with it though.
Old 07-02-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I agree that "The Cold Hard Truth" was a great show...but it's only average compared to the other shows this series has done...which tells you how great a TV program this is.

My favorite episode thus far is Season Two's "Playing God" - which I believe is one of the best hours of TV I have ever watched.

BTW, I believe "The Cold Hard Truth" was the first episode directed by Anthony Michael Hall. He did a great job.
Old 07-16-04, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

I love the second season Zion episode! Neat way to enhance Bruce's character and pay tribute to the book version of John Smith's fate.