Reload this Page >

Annoying Comcast Ads

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Annoying Comcast Ads

Old 06-24-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying Comcast Ads

Is anyone else bothered by the ads for Comcast Cable that play constantly on every cable station? It seems like Comcast inserts them over the actual network ads and they often cut into programming so I often miss the show I'm paying to watch.

I feel like I'm being brainwashed into thinking that DirecTV and Dish Network are the worst crimes against humanity ever. Most of these ads are stupid people who have no idea how to setup DirecTV or are just total morons:

- A man with a huge family who setup a series of mirrors so he could see if the TV signal came on or not. How about just having one of your kids sit and check?

- Or the one with the guy who has his family living in a warehouse, and how they talk about how much of a pain it is to walk up hundreds of steps to adjust the dish? How about living in a house like normal people?

- Or the one that shows a family that just can't live without TV for a day so they have Comcast come to do next day installation? How about just spending time with your kids instead of sitting them in front of the TV?

The ads wouldn't be so bad if the people in them weren't so lazy, dumb, or just plain bad parents.
Old 06-24-04, 11:08 AM

I get Charter Cable ads all the time. Comcast is my cable company, and the only choice in my area. So much for the targeted ads.
Old 06-24-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
They are scared to death of the Dish companies, and for good reason. Really, I think the key will be what happens after the 2005 NFL season, when the possibility of Sunday Ticket on digital cable may come to fruition. If they don't get in on that right then, then the cable companies are really going to take a major hit.
Old 06-24-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Comcast sucks monkey balls! $42 a month just for basic cable?
Old 06-24-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Red Dog •

They are scared to death of the Dish companies, and for good reason. Really, I think the key will be what happens after the 2005 NFL season, when the possibility of Sunday Ticket on digital cable may come to fruition. If they don't get in on that right then, then the cable companies are really going to take a major hit.
Cable still has the advantage in local HD programming.

Of course, if you believe the ridiculous lies spread by the a-holes at Comcast, I guess you deserve their product. Notice how whenever they want to make some outrageous claim about satellite, they refer to it as "the dish", a generic term that likely allows them to say whatever they want. This is code for "DirecTV and Dish Network are actually far superior in every way, but we hope you're too stupid to realize that 'the dish' doesn't refer to them." You don't need firsthand experience with their competition to see how malicious and manipulative their ad campaign is. Why anyone would do business with people like that is beyond me.

das
Old 06-24-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite:

"They told me to mix some cement... I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT!"

I mean, what can you say?
Old 06-24-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TracerBullet
My favorite:

"They told me to mix some cement... I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT!"

I mean, what can you say?
I forgot about that one since it hasn't been in the rotation lately in my area. I guess you can't mix cement in the parking lot of your apartment, or go to a friend or relative's house?

There's another new one with a couple that complain about "the dish" being too complex to use.
Old 06-24-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
The only major problem I see with satellite is the high upfront cost of acquiring HD receivers. I just got an e-mail from Directv informing me that the new HD Tivo Recorder will cost $1000. I love Tivo, and I want HD, but I can't afford to be shelling out that kind of cash. I hate the overcompressed Comcast digital picture, but I really want HD so I will just have to wait for prices to come down.
Old 06-24-04, 05:10 PM

Is it just me, or does each Comcast ad look as if it is from a 3rd generation VHS source? I don't have HDTV, nor am I an expert on TV picture quality, but even I think the image quality on the ads is subpar.
Old 06-24-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a happy DirecTiVo owner, all I can say is "Commercials? What's a Commercial?"
Old 06-24-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by NitroJMS
I forgot about that one since it hasn't been in the rotation lately in my area. I guess you can't mix cement in the parking lot of your apartment, or go to a friend or relative's house?
It's especially amusing since they clearly show that the apartment has a balcony. I suppose it's impossible to mix cement anywhere but a suburban driveway.
Old 06-25-04, 12:05 PM

I haven't seen any of the ads mentioned here, but my current cable company (Millenium Digital Media) shows ads for their internet service all the time, and they can be just as bad.

My favorite one has a mother and sun attempting to do the kids schoolwork through their current dial-up connection. The voiceover then says "So we stopped using the internet, big mistake", as the mother holds up a C- paper that the kid got because he couldn't get on the internet.

Boy, I don't know how I ever did research before the internet came along. I guess kids nowadays don't even know what a library is....
Old 06-25-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also hate the DirecTv ad that constantly plays with the couple who is moving. I just hate that snarky wife who says all bitch-like "Don't forget to lift with your knees, dear" as she points the remote and clicks at the TV.

UGH! I just want to smack her!
Old 06-25-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NitroJMS, I award you "Post of the Week."
Old 06-26-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
NitroJMS, I award you "Post of the Week."
Thank you!
Old 06-26-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the tree of shame one is pretty retarded too...
Old 06-26-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by mthiel
Is it just me, or does each Comcast ad look as if it is from a 3rd generation VHS source? I don't have HDTV, nor am I an expert on TV picture quality, but even I think the image quality on the ads is subpar.
that's becuase it was recorded from the comcast cable's video. so of course it'll look like hell