Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Easy SCTV question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Easy SCTV question

Old 06-22-04, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy SCTV question

My friend and are arguing about something. We both have vague recollections of SCTV (and aren't going to buy the dvd). Was Count Floyd supposed to also be the newscaster Floyd Robertson, the idea being that the station was so low-budget that the news guy also hosted the late night movie show?
Old 06-22-04, 03:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That was always my impression. I think I missed the first couple of seasons when the show was 30 minutes and syndicated (I was so young), so I might've missed them explaining this if they ever did.

I found this at TVAcres.com:
Count Floyd - Comedian Joe Flaherty of SECOND CITY TV/SYN/1976-84 portrayed the zany horror show personality Count Floyd, the host of Monster Chiller Horror Theatre, a recurring show-within-a-show parody of TV horror programs. Wearing a black cape and white turtle neck sweater, Count Floyd began each program by stepping from an upright coffin and howling like a wolf. In a phony Transylvanian accent, he introduced classic horror movie parodies like Dr. Tongue's, 3-D House of Slave Chics in SMELL-A-RAMA and Tip O'Neal's 3-D House of Representatives. As the Count often said, "EEEW!, That's scary stuff!" The Dr. Tongue movies featured the plump comedian John Candy as the weird scientist Dr. Tongue whose main concern in life was getting women. Eugene Levy played his gnarled, hunchback companion, Bruno. In 1982 RCA released an album (MFL1-8501) entitled "Count Floyd." It featured such tales as "The Gory Story of Duane and Debbie" (and what happened when they parked their car on a date) and "Reggae Christmas Eve in Transylvania." Joe Flaherty reprised his goofy but harmless Count Floyd character within the Saturday morning children's program THE COMPLETELY MENTAL MISADVENTURES OF ED GRIMLEY/NBC/1988-89 when he introduced a "really scarrry" story each week. TRIVIA NOTE: Speculation has it that Count Floyd was actually SCTV news anchor Floyd Robertson who reluctantly did the Count Floyd gig at the SCTV station under pressure from the station management.

Last edited by Toonview; 06-22-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by Toonview
Eugene Levy played his gnarled, hunchback companion, Bruno.
a.k.a. Woody Tobias Jr., son of Woody Tobias Sr., Lon Chaney's stand-in in The Wolfman

That was one of my favorite sketches on SCTV.

edit:
I just googled "Woody Tobias Jr." and found this link that has a searchable index of all the characters on the show. It also says that Count Floyd is supposed to be Floyd Robertson.
http://sctvguide.ca/programs/monster.htm

Last edited by Quatermass; 06-22-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 09:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It was explicitly stated in one episode, where Earl Camembert(Eugene Levy) either mistakenly believes that Robertson is dead, or announces Robertson's retirement, and mentions, on-air, that Robertson also played Count Floyd.
Old 06-23-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check his IMDB listing, one item has the character listed as Count Floyd Robertson.

I always liked Joe Flaherty, thought he was underrated.
Old 11-19-04, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is old but ...
one episode had a drunken Floyd Robertson doing the news with his Count Floyd make-up still on. So you win the arguement! Or more likely, have already won.
Old 11-19-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Those are just my love-me's"----Lola Heatherton.
Old 11-19-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by digidoh
It was explicitly stated in one episode, where Earl Camembert(Eugene Levy) either mistakenly believes that Robertson is dead, or announces Robertson's retirement, and mentions, on-air, that Robertson also played Count Floyd.
I was just watching this on DVD last week ... I believe it's the same scene. Floyd Robertson has just returned to the news from a stint at an alcohol rehab center. Floyd acknowledges this and wants to move on, but Earl launches into a full blown "tribute" piece lauding Floyd's efforts to deal with his drinking problem. Earl mentions that Floyd portrays Count Floyd.

Also, this sort of thing happened for real at local stations years ago ... it may be before some younger DVDTalkers' time. For example, broadcaster Dave Michaels in Atlanta was a news anchor and also played Mr. Pix, who hosted a kid's show where he drew caricatures of kids in the audience and did other artwork, and introduced cartoons.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 11-23-04 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-19-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want indisputable proof, ask the man himself. Flaherty is from time to time (when he's not on the road) a frequent poster to the SCTV Usenet group. He post under the handle "Guy Cabellero". When he has really important news, he begins the post with: And now, a word from the owner and president of SCTV, Mr. Guy Cabellero"...
Old 11-19-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
"I was just watching this on DVD last week ... I believe it's the same scene. Floyd Robertson has just returned to the news from a stint at an alcohol rehab center. Floyd acknowledges this and wants to move on, but Earl launches into a full blown "tribute" piece lauding Floyd's efforts to deal with his drinking problem. Earl mentions that Floyd portrays Count Floyd."
exactly.
i just happened to watch this a few minutes ago.
i never really thaought they were supposed to be the same person, just different characters at sctv.