Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Coupling, 6/20

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Coupling, 6/20

Kate Isitt plays the falling down drunk great. I loved her song about Susan the Elf.
Old 06-21-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved her with the longer hair in the medieval garb.
Old 06-21-04, 09:29 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Sally to me has been hot as hell this season, absolutely gorgeous, 10 times hotter than Susan or Jane.
Old 06-21-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Sally to me has been hot as hell this season, absolutely gorgeous, 10 times hotter than Susan or Jane.

Susan was pretty damn hot in the first episode, considering she wasn't wearing a pillow under his shirt and she planted one on Jane.

But yes, I think Sally looks much better this season. Don't know what it is.
Old 06-21-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Good epsiode. They are trying to make Oliver too much like Jeff, though.
Old 06-21-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new season falls a little flat for me. As deftones mentioned above, they're playing Oliver too much like Jeff (he even looks like him), and you just cannot replace Jeff with a Jeff wannabe.

Part of the problem with the Oliver character is he seems way too forced - like a bad parody of Jack Tripper from Three's Company.
Old 06-21-04, 12:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
for those of you comparing oliver to Jeff wait till you see the last episode ep6..
Old 06-21-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, even though Coupling hasn't quite lived up to previous seasons, it is still hilarious (funnier than anything else on television), and it has earned enough goodwill from me to give Moffatt the benefit of the doubt and some patience with Oliver. I don't know about anyone else, but I laughed my ass off with the whole sweater bit.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-21-04 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
I don't know about anyone else, but I laughed my ass off with the whole sweater bit.
That had me as well.
Old 06-22-04, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oliver really comes into his own in episodes 4-6 of Season 4. Just give him a chance and don't think about Jeff when you watch him.
Old 06-23-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
But yes, I think Sally looks much better this season. Don't know what it is.
Confidence.

The realized love with Patrick stripped away the neuroses that she exhibited for the first three seasons. Remember at the end of the Giggle Loop episode, when Jeff was going to the interview, fully confident because he imagined everyone else naked. As he walked into the office, he appeared totally different than what we had seen him as before, until he got a look at himself in the mirror, then immediately switched back to "Scary Jeff".
Same thing with Sally, now. She has confidence in herself and isn't self-absorbed with the slightest imperfections in her appearance and it shows in her demeanor.

Maybe it's me, but I'm not watching the episodes thinking, "how Jeff-like is Oliver going to be this time?" And I don't see him as a Jeff clone. Obviously, Steven Moffat wants to have a male character with some hang-ups, but whereas Jeff exhibited some My-God-what-did-his-mother-do-to-him complexes, Oliver's are more ordinary. He's reliant on science fiction and fantasy, wants to fit in but is so awkward that other people fear for their safety, tries to be clever but unknowingly lodges his foot in his mouth (the "small puppies" line from the first episode). I see Oliver as someone more familiar, and if you don't see some Oliver in yourself, I'm sure you know someone like him. As for people who just make the comparison that Oliver is trying to be Jeff, I'm starting to regard them as the type of people who say that Coupling is just a British version of Friends.

Last edited by RKillgore; 06-23-04 at 08:30 AM.