Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Well, I did it. I dropped cable... too much $ for too little.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Well, I did it. I dropped cable... too much $ for too little.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 01:41 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
You're emulating Bandoman?
Not really. This is his choice.
Old 06-19-04, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by B.A.
If you want internet access through Charter, you have to at least get basic cable - for some reason (and I refuse to complain) they only charge us for the basic cable. Why mess w/ a good thing?
I disagree. They used to have a thing where if you wanted internet only you had to pay a little more. A while back they changed their internet setup so they only have 2 speeds to choose from and the price is the same if you don't get cable.

Still, by stealing from the cable company you are getting a good deal. Keep it up.

When I was stationed in Japan we had the crappiest cable selection with a crappy price. Nobody here can honestly say that they are getting screwed more than what I had(when I paid).

When I first moved into the dorm, I had cable along with an extra package. It was a movie package, Turner Classic Movies and another channel. This other channel was the Playboy channel. So for some reason the cable company decided that people that want TCM also want Playboy.

Later I moved out(forced move) and went without cable for a while. Some lady called and asked if I wanted cable, I said sure but I wouldn't be able to pay the initial fees until Monday. She asked if I would get cable it she could set me up Friday and then she would come by Monday to get the money.

Monday came and went and I got cable for about 6 months and then it got shut off. I enjoyed tv so much that I decided to sign up until I left. I got around 50 channels for $50(basic), and the shows were all on a 2 week delay.

When I got back to the states and before I signed up for Direct TV, I would order digital cable with all movie channels and the next day I would disconnect the cable from the box, call the cable company and tell them I just want the cheapest digital package available. After a couple days I would plug the cable back in and enjoy all my digital channels for free since they weren't able to send the signal to the box to stop the channels.

If the power went out I just ordered them again and went through my little routine.
Old 06-20-04, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Alan Smithee
In over 10 years I've never seen any good reason to have cable, mainly because I've NEVER seen a cable system that delivered every channel with perfect reception, and besides that most of the channels show commercials and paid ads/infomercials; if I'm paying to watch them I shouldn't have to put up with that crap. Plus almost every channel has an onscreen logo too, which is ENTIRELY unacceptable- you'd have to pay ME to watch anything with that!
I was getting free cable about 2 years ago since I moved into a place where the last tenant never had it shut off, and even for free I couldn't find a single thing to watch. Most channels had onscreen logos, many weren't carried in stereo, I WOULD have liked MTV if they actually showed music videos but most of the time I looked at it I saw either dumb shows like Real World or commercials. When they finally pulled the plug the only thing I really missed was the city's public access channel, but those should really be transmitted over the air as a public service anyways- I still wouldn't pay for cable just to watch it.
Just say NO to cable!!
The logos are there for when you go out of town and just for channel identification. BUT what is unacceptable is the promos they show during the show and solid banners running across the bottom of the screen (USA, TBS, AMC). Also, split screening on premium channels is totally unacceptable to me. The idea was to get it all uncut and commercial free.
Old 06-20-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$30 to $55 - did they think they coudl get away with that an not upset many customers? idiots...
Old 06-20-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Oh, man.

The Bay Area may be super-expensive in a lot of areas, but our basic cable package thru Comcast is a steal.

For 13.99, you get all the networks PLUS:

MSNBC
CNN Headline
E!
Discovery
HGTV
Comedy Central
TV Land
Travel
Food Network
TBS

And that's just basic. You really don't need anything more, imho.
yes you do. but $14 is a nice deal.

i cant wait until we can pay a per channel fee and only get the channels we want. half i dont ever watch. i know itll never happen but it would be nice.
Old 06-20-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alan Smithee
Plus almost every channel has an onscreen logo too, which is ENTIRELY unacceptable- you'd have to pay ME to watch anything with that!

omg...dude...comeon....

you are taking this too far. its just a little logo.
Old 06-20-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by atari2600
i cant wait until we can pay a per channel fee and only get the channels we want. half i dont ever watch. i know itll never happen but it would be nice.

Wow! I was just talking to a friend about this the other day. It is such a great idea.
Old 06-20-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by jeffkjoe
Oh, man.

The Bay Area may be super-expensive in a lot of areas, but our basic cable package thru Comcast is a steal.

For 13.99, you get all the networks PLUS:

MSNBC
CNN Headline
E!
Discovery
HGTV
Comedy Central
TV Land
Travel
Food Network
TBS

And that's just basic. You really don't need anything more, imho.

Where can I find out more about this package? Comcast duznt have any info on their website.
Old 06-21-04, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by atari2600
That would be great if Time Warner was able to pull that off. Unfortunately, they have been really slow both in terms of adding innovative products (Tivo capabilities, individual channel selection) and lowering price where I live (Houston).
Old 06-21-04, 10:33 AM
Banned

I also cancelled my cable when I moved last November. I see no reason to when I was moving to someplace where I got great TV reception. That plus Comcast kept on cutting down on the basic cable channels to the point where my basic cable was just not worth having anymore. I'm guessing they are like the DSL people who think $50/month is cheap. For what I save on not having even basic cable I can get all the South Park DVD's when they come out.
Old 06-22-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds like the cable companies are offering big deals to people who call wanting to cancel... I think I'll call and tell them I want to cancel and see what they can do got me!
Old 06-22-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally posted by turborobb
sounds like the cable companies are offering big deals to people who call wanting to cancel... I think I'll call and tell them I want to cancel and see what they can do got me!

Exactly. I did this several months ago. I said I was going to go with a dish even though I knew it was physically impossible. I asked if they would do anything to keep me.

Before: paying $95 for Digital with HBO, SHO, MAX, and TMC.

After: paying $67 for Digital with HBO, SHO, STARZ, and a 2-tuner DVR (this is a 6-month deal).

Basically I traded MAX and TMC for a DVR and saved almost $30/month.

The After basically reflects their special to attract new customers: Digital/DVR/SHO/STARZ for $50. I added HBO for another $16. When the 6 months ends, I'll do the same thing. Before you call, you should call as a 'new customer' and find out what their current specials are for new customers. Then call back and renegotiate aiming for that.